Subject: FW: [seamoby] 4G BOF?

From: Kulwinder Atwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:55:13 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Kulwinder Atwal 
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 6:54 PM
To: 'Glenn Morrow'
Subject: RE: [seamoby] 4G BOF?

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Morrow [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 2:57 PM
To: MORAND Lionel FTRD/DAC/ISS; Gopal Dommety; gary kenward;
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: [seamoby] 4G BOF?

>From a positive perspective, I just think it is great that there are some
operators participating at least at >the requirements stage. I find it
difficult to judge support for requirements and functionality coming just 
>from vendors that  usually have solutions in mind. I hope more operators
begin actively participating. This 
>should help filter what is a requirement and what isn't. A problem I have
seen is that vendors tend to favor >the requirements that match their
solution - requirements shaping. 

I agree.  I have witnessed this requirements shaping first hand.  I have
seen 3G vendors claiming that Bluetooth is just a cable replacement for
cellphones.  And, I have seen 802.11 vendors claim that Bluetooth should
look 'just like 802.11'.

What we need to hear from more often are the Internet Service Providers and
end-users.

>I just hope the operators can agree on the majority of the requirements.

I think the customer here is not the Cellular Operator, but the Internet
Service Provider wanting to attach Wireless Access Routers for the last hop.
The ISP already has the IP network, and the bandwidth.  With the right IETF
protocols and Wireless Access Routers, an ISP can provide voice and any
other type of IP traffic.  

An ISP can gain revenue by adding wireless voice with an investment much
less than the Cellular Operator's investment in 3G infra-structure.  The ISP
is not building infra-structure just Wireless Access Routers.  

The ISP also has a low flat monthly billing model that is more appealing to
the end user.  
The end user is not going to pay by the minute for Internet access over 3G.

Rather than focusing on turning Cellular Operators into ISPs with 3G, we
should be looking at turning ISPs into Wireless Access ISPs.

- Kulwinder.

> Thanks, 
> Glenn

---

From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:48:23 -0500

A man after my own heart.
-pdn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kulwinder Atwal" <[email-masked]>

---

From: "cny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:02:07 +0200

Hi all

Just for your info

Someone has put up a nice little 4G web page supportedby NSF
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~jxie/4G/

Of course not to rememebr Royal Institute of Technology(KTH)
http://www.s3.kth.se/radio/4GW/

Still alive and Kicking ......
Chern Nam

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
To: "Kulwinder Atwal" <[email-masked]>; "'Glenn Morrow'"
<[email-masked]>; "MORAND Lionel FTRD/DAC/ISS"
<[email-masked]>; "Gopal Dommety" <[email-masked]>;
"gary kenward" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 1:48 AM
Subject: Re: [seamoby] 4G BOF?