Subject: RE: [seamoby] To page, or not to page

From: "Casati, Alessio (Alessio)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:51:34 +0100

Pat,

*Alessio,
*
*First, could I kindly request that you prefix your comments to 
*Jim. It is very
*difficult for me to figure out what you are saying since it is 
*all mixed up.
*

Hope this helps

*Second, it appears to me as if the problem is not with paging, but the
*requirements. Again, you stated that you haven't read the 
*problem statement,

No, I have read it, Exactly in the midlle of last week. However,
later than the expiration of the deadline for last call. The trigger
for me to read that was reading some not so sound e-mails on
creative definitions of L2 paging and use of Paging channels
in cellular nets.

*but seem to have lots of ideas on what is needed, and what is 
*not. Could I
*convince you to read the problem statement, and then provide 
*comments on the
*spec?

I did already, although I recognize you must have had a hard time to read
thru 
them given the absence of some proper formatting of my messages...

*Lastly, could I also encourage you to work on the 
*requirements, following e
*normal IETF process, to make sure that your needs are met?

Unfortunatley I don't have cycles enough to do that. Can I 
send to this list my comments on the work that gets done here, despite 
this, when I happen to have a few cycles and comments?

By the way, I hear people talking about fixing routing
via this "Paging thing". I wonder then why this is in the transport
area... Possibly another BOF in another area would
be more appropriate, according to IETF process...

Final remark:

Paging is used for link establishment in cellular nets. 

What you are trying to do could be, at best, 
local repair of routing. This needs to be addressed
with a  routing area protocol. It would be my requirement
that the Handset does not participate in this protocol
and this is totally transparent to the mobile. 

The problem statement is not at all clear about this, and it needs a
re-spin,
including changing the name "Paging" (misleading and inappropriate)
and possibly taking it to the routing area would not be a bad
idea. Possibly, it is more a Mobile IP WG work item proposal.

Have a nice week.

Alessio