Subject: [seamoby] Mail Server Administration today

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:23:13 -0700 (PDT)

All,

I will be taking the mail server today between 1 and 5 PST for maintenance
reasons. I will be moving from sendmail to qmail. The primary reason for this
change is that sendmail is causing too much latency in the mailing lists. I
have been debugging the problem, and the number of sendmail children is
hitting the max, while the processes are stuck waiting for the other mail
server to respond, and eventually timeout. My server, btw, is running at
around 93% idle, even when the lists are busy, and my pipe still has plenty of
bandwidth.

Of course, the best fix is to delete lots of people from the mailing lists,
but it isn't their fault that their mail server is broken.

If you do send mail to either the Diameter, Seamoby (or any of the design team
lists), you will most likely receive an unable to deliver message, but your
mail server should keep retrying. I hope to have the work done prior to 5pm
today, but need to keep a buffer.

Thanks,

PatC