Subject: [seamoby] Context transfer and VLR

From: "Casati, Alessio \(Alessio\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:16:11 +0100

*ObCT: we do not want to be in a position that
*would imply that CT for things other than routers
*is needed. That might be implied by an HLR/VLR
*sort of architecture.

So, do you mean that anything that one access point had learned and
negotiated
with the home would be lost upon transfer from it to another.

That is really a bad design. 

By the way, GPRS terminology does not include VLR. Only subscriber data
is stored in the SGSN and transferred to the next access point when the MS
moves. So, the SGSN actually acts as a VLR, but you don't know that
since they don't tell you. And the unwary believe that the VLR's gone. 

Probably you'd end up just removing a name, rather than the VLR's role ;).

Bottom line, if you want to be in the wireless access business, you need to
be prepared to store locally some subscriber data, and not retrieve this
from the home 
every time. 

If I were you I would not restrict the context transfer design to
a well defined minimal set of "router" specific data - missing out 
Wireless access AKA and subscriber data aspects.

alessio