Subject: Re: Comments Re: [seamoby] ct problem statement

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:07:22 -0700 (PDT)

>> This is very close to what I have long thought might be a good solution 
>> to this problem, i.e. the notion of a "token" that the MN might carry 
>> around from AR to AR, presenting it as a sort of "ticket for service". 
>> The token would be some sort of public-key thingy, which would be 
>> delivered to the MN upon successful initial authentication and, 
>> possibly, authorization. It, or some complementary key variable might 
>> also be pre-distributed by the network to neighbor ARs (for suitable 
>> definitions of "neighbor") in anticipation of possible movement. 
>> Successful use upon change of access point would require some sort of 
>> combination of a "secret" in the MN with the over-the-air token, 
>> perhaps some sort of challenge-response technique.   
>> 
>> ... but we digress into solution space .... 
>
>indeed, and it is interesting that I proposed something very similar
>in MIP at least 2 years ago, and it was never adopted as a WG document :(
>

I've also felt for about a year that such a token
would go a long way to solving problems with authentication and
authorization. I've proposed something like this on the BURP list.

		jak

---

From: Subir Das <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:21:47 -0400 (EDT)

James,

On Jun 12,  8:07am, James Kempf wrote:
> Subject: Re: Comments Re: [seamoby] ct problem statement
>

 I agree. BURP will be able to provide this type of security association.

  Subir

--