Subject: RE: [seamoby] proactive and reactive CT definitions

From: Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:36:22 -0500

Hello Madjid:
I also like your definition of reactive handover. I do not think 
doing context transfer after completion of layer 3 handover will
much sense.
regards,
ajoy 

-----Original Message-----
From: Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 4:30 PM
To: 'Rajeev Koodli'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [seamoby] proactive and reactive CT definitions

I still don't know whether I should respond to these issues or not,
but it seems that is the going trend.

For Proactive, your definition works, and actually it is the same
as in the draft.

I think this definition of reactive is going backward a bit.
We did discuss this issue at length and I think you were in agreement that
 reactive CT, does not always mean that CT cannot start until after the MN's
packets have arrived.
 
For reactive, CT can happens simultaneous as Handover signaling
but it might not finish when handover signaling is complete.

What you are suggesting, means that you don't need CT to deliver 
packets the mobile and are totally moving CT out of the critical 
path for timing. I guess say for header compression
it means that the newAR does not have HC states for a while,
assuming it can receive uncompressed packets, 
But would this work for security and authentication, I don't think so.

I like the current definition for reactive:
 "doing CT when handover is imminent" and that means that oldAR or
newAR are already engaged in handover signaling, now this could be
a L2 trigger that newAR has received or a HI or something else, but
it does not mean completion of handover signaling and packet routing
change.

Madjid

-----Original Message-----
From: Rajeev Koodli [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 1:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [seamoby] proactive and reactive CT definitions

Description of issue :Clear, unambiguous definitions are missing.

Submitter name: Rajeev Koodli

Submitter email address: [email-masked]

Date first submitted: June 20, 2001

Comment type: 'T'echnical

Priority:  ''S'/MUST fix

Section:  4.5

Rationale/Explanation of issue:

The section provides the description of proactive and reactive
CT without properly defining what they are. We need the definitions.

Requested Change:

Reactive CT: The context transfer process which takes place subsequent
to arrival of a MN's packet at the target AR

Proactive (I prfer Charlie's Predictive better) CT: The context transfer
process in which the required contexts are in place at the target AR
prior to the arrival of MN's packet at target AR.

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:13:06 -0700

Hello Ajoy,

> doing context transfer after completion of layer 3 handover will

Can you say why it does not make sense ?

-Rajeev