Subject: [seamoby] Seamoby Charter

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:47:09 -0700

All,

Below is the revised Seamoby charter, which has been through an initial IESG
review. Note that the changes are very minor, and most were done to ease 
readability.

Thanks,

PatC
----

Context Transfer, Handoff Candidate Discovery and Dormant Mode Host
Alerting (seamoby) 

Status: recharter

Last modified:  7 Jun 2001

Chair(s):

Pat Calhoun [email-masked] 

Transport Area Director(s): 

Scott Bradner [email-masked]
Allison Mankin [email-masked]

Transport Area Advisor: 

Allison Mankin [email-masked]

Mailing Lists: 

General Discussion:[email-masked] 
To Subscribe: [email-masked] 
In Body: (un)subscribe seamoby your_e-mail_address 
Archive: http://www.diameter.org/cgi-bin/lwgate/seamoby/

History:

During the fast handoff discussions within the Mobile IP WG, a need for a new
protocol was identified that would allow state information to be transferred
between edge mobility devices. Examples of state information that could be
useful to transfer is AAA information, security context, QOS properties
assigned to the user, Robust Header Compression information, etc.  

Further, Standards Defining Organizations (SDOs) that work on wireless, 
such as 3GPP, 3GPP2, IEEE and others, are hoping that the IETF will be able to
provide a set of protocols that will enable them to provide real-time
services over an IP infrastructure, and, along with Mobile IP, SeaMoby
is expected to provide such protocols. Furthermore, the protocols
developed by the Seamoby Working Group must allow for real-time services
to work with minimal disruption across heterogeneous wireless, and wired,
technologies.

It is expected that SDOs working on wireless technologies will provide their
input into the WG during the requirements gathering and protocol design 
phase. 

In addition to Context Transfer, the working group has identified two more
technologies that are important for use as tools for providing real-time
services over IP wireless infrastructure:  Handoff Candidate Discovery
and Dormant Mode Host Alerting (aka "IP paging").  The present charter
(revised from its original form) is to define and then possibly develop
each of these.  The WG will ensure that its deliverables are compatible
with the Mobile IP Working Group's mobility management technology

Context Transfer

There are a large number of IP access networks that support mobility of hosts.
For example, wireless Personal Area Networks (PANs) and LANs, satellite and
cellular WANs. The nature of this roaming is such that the communication path
to the host changes frequently, and rapidly. In many situations, the change of
communications path includes a change in communications media between the host
and access networking, including changes from a wireless to a wired
connection and changes between wireless technologies even under common
administration.

Although the protocol used to actively re-direct the IP packet flows during a
change in a mobile's point of attachment is handled by the Mobile IP WG, 
there is a need for preserving the context of its active IP flows. The IP flow
context that might be useful to transfer could include, but not be limited 
to security context, policy, QOS (diffserv or intserv as needed) 
header compression, and accounting/AAA information.

The SeaMoby Working group will analyze the requirements and tradeoffs for the
goal of transferring context information from a mobile's old access to the new
access device. Depending on the results of the requirements analysis, the SeaMoby 
WG will develop a protocol (or start from an existing protocol such as
Contract Net Protocol (CNP) or the IEEE's 802.11f) to transfer the context
information for a session.

Handoff Candidate Discovery 

While the Mobile IP Working Group in particular is developing 
protocols to provide "fast handoff" solutions, the mechanisms 
currently under development assume that a set of candidates has 
already been chosen and and that handoff should be initiated to all of 
them.   However, the selection of suitable candidates is not part of the 
Mobile IP WG's overall scope.  The Seamoby Working Group has 
documented that "seamless" handoffs can best be achieved by 
considering multiple handoff candidates and selecting one or more of 
them as targets for context transfer. This problem is within scope of 
Seamoby. Specifically, Seamoby will define the work in a problem 
statement, and if needed, will define the requirements and the 
protocol for a handoff candidate discovery protocol, which could be 
used with any mobility management protocol. 

Dormant Mode Host Alerting 

Lastly, the Working Group will define the requirements for Dormant Mode Host 
Alerting (DMHA) at the IP layer (also known as IP Paging) in networks, and a
protocol will be developed to tackle this problem. DMHA is typically used in
networks that support mobile devices that periodically enter dormant mode to 
reduce power consumption. DMHA enable network devices to track a mobile that 
has moved from its last point of attachment, while in dormant mode, allowing 
the mobile's packets to be delivered.

All work produced by the Working Group will support both IPv4 and IPv6, will
follow the congestion control principles in RFC2914 (BCP41), and will undergo 
a security review prior to WG last call.   Protocols developed will be 
accompanied by MIBs.

The Working Group will coordinate closely with the aaa, mobileip,
pilc, and rohc working groups. 

Goals and Milestones:

Jun 01  Submit I-D on Dormant Mode Host Alerting Requirements to IESG
	for consideration as Informational
Jun 01  Submit Inter Access Point Context Transfer Problem Statement to IESG
Jul 01  Submit Handoff Candidate Discovery Problem Statement to IESG
Sep 01  Interim Meeting to review pending Inter Access Point Context
	Transfer and Handoff Candidate Discovery work
Oct 01  Submit Inter Access Point Context Transfer Protocol Requirements
	to IESG for consideration as Informational
Oct 01  Submit Handoff Discovery Requirements I-D to IESG for consideration 
        as Informational
Nov 01  Candidate Inter Access Point Context Transfer Protocols
        are submitted, with accompanying comparison against requirements
Nov 01  Candidate Handoff Discovery Protocols are submitted, with  
        accompanying comparison against requirements
Dec 01  Dormant Mode Host Alerting Protocol MIB to IESG for consideration as a
        Proposed Standard
Jan 02  Dormant Mode Host Alerting Protocol to IESG for consideration as a
        Proposed Standard
Feb 02  Inter Access Point Context Transfer Protocol to IESG for consideration
        as a Proposed Standard
Feb 02  Handoff Discovery Protocol to IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
        Standard
Jun 02  Submit Inter Access Point Context Transfer Protocol MIB to IESG for 
        consideration as a Proposed Standard
Jun 02  Submit Handoff Discovery Protocol MIB to IESG for consideration as a
        Proposed Standard

---

From: "Hamid Syed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:21:36 -0400

Hello Pat,

I guess we need a milestone for context trasnfer framework before moving
towards the protocols. 

cheers

-Hamid

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Pat Calhoun [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Thursday, June 07, 2001 4:47 PM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	[seamoby] Seamoby Charter
> 
> All,
>