Subject: [seamoby] Requirements language, from 50,000 ft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:46:34 +0300

Hi all,

A VERY general comment about some of the language used in the CT 
Requirements document.  There is a big difference between the 
following two statements:

1) Context transfer MUST be reliable.
2) Context transfer MUST support reliable transport.

 -- or --

1) Context transfer MUST be secure.
2) Context transfer MUST support secure transport.

I just picked these two off the top of my head.  These don't 
correspond to exact language in the CT Requirements draft,
because I didn't want to argue specific techical points, but
just wanted to bring an issue forward.

Since we have yet to design a CT protocol or evaluate 
existing protocols, I think statements along the lines
of 'MUST be ...' are dangerous, because they will limit
protocol design. 

Going forward, I'd suggest we consider carefully what we
mean with some of the requirement statements.  A lot of
the back-and-forth on the mailing list w.r.t. specific
requirements can be avoided by choosing our words well.

best regards,
John

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 05:42:26 -0700

Please open up an issue for these, and we can resolve them quickly in the next couple
of weeks.

PatC