Subject: RE: [seamoby] Issue 2: Make IP messages uniform

From: Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:19:25 -0500

Exactly. As soon as the MN detects that it has undergone handover, it sends
a
message which includes BU as an encapsulation. The new AR sends the CT
message
towards the old AR and the BU towards the mobility agent.
We proposed this (the message is SHIN) in our -smoothv6-.txt draft (in
Pittsburgh IETF).

MN>> Rajeev, sorry I have not read the draft, so I am trying
to see if I understand this.
Could you define: "MN detects it has undergone handover",
is it L2 signals from oldAR, PrRtAdv, L2 establishment at newAR?
 
MN sends the BU to oldAR, right? How would newAR know about BU
right then?
Would It not make more sense if oldAR starts the CT messaging?

Madjid

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:58:33 -0700

> is it L2 signals from oldAR, PrRtAdv, L2 establishment at newAR?

Rajeev: This is through router advertisements on the new link. Recall that we
are focussing on the scenario where a MN lost its existing link and regained
another without time for anything such as fast handovers. Through router
advertisement, the MN recognizes that it is on a new AR. It *could* detect
that it has changed L2, but may not be able to ascertain that it has changed
its AR. Using router advertisements is definitive.

> MN sends the BU to oldAR, right? How would newAR know about BU

Rajeev: The BU I was talking about is the BU to the LMM agent/Home Agent,
which goes through the new AR.

> Would It not make more sense if oldAR starts the CT messaging?

Rajeev: It would, whenever possible.

Regards,

-Rajeev