Subject: [seamoby] proactive and reactive ct

From: "Gary Kenward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:25:10 -0400

In a discussion with a colleague today, I came up with another view of what
reactive ct is all about. I don't pretend that this will satisfy everyone's
need for a better definition, but maybe
it will help provoke some new thinking.

Reactive CT occurs when the access network determines that the old AR can no
longer support an MNs traffic, and that the potential candidates for
handover of the MNs traffic have not been prepared with the appropriate
context.

Thus, the earliest initiating event for reactive CT would be the same event
that initiates handover. This could be any number of L2/L3 events, depending
upon the networking technology.

Reactive CT completes when a new AR has the appropriate context to forward
the MNs traffic.
Ideally, reactive CT completes before or at the same time as the first
packet from the MNs traffic is scheduled to be forwarded. Ideally, because
in the real wireless world, the exception is the rule, and the packet may
scheduled to be forwarded before the context is in place; in this case, the
decision to forward the packet without the complete feature context is out
of scope of ct.

I would add that the completion event (and mitigating conditions) for
Proactive CT is the same as for reactive CT.

I do hope this helps.
Gary