Subject: [seamoby] CT Requirements

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:03:16 -0700

All,

Gary Kenward has sent the context transfer requirements to the secretariat (thanks Gary!),
and a preview of the spec can be found at:
	http://www.diameter.org/draft-ietf-seamoby-ct-reqs-00.txt

Any changes that are needed to the spec should be sent to the list by filling out
an issue. See http://www.diameter.org/seamoby-ct-issues.html for more info.

My current goal is to have a document that is ready for WG last call by the next IETF
I-D deadline.

Thanks,

PatC

---

From: Kulwinder Atwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:45:24 -0400

Description of issue 

The current text does not provide a uniform set of IP messages for various
entities to request context to be transferred in an access technology
independant manner.

Submitter name: Kulwinder Atwal 
Submitter email address: [email-masked] 
Date first submitted: Jun 19, 2001
Reference:  
Comment type: Technical 
Priority: S 
Section: 4.2, 4.3 
Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

While an L2 Trigger can be used to initiate the transfer of context at the
current Forwarding Node, other entities in the network need a method to
request, and recieve the completion status of a context transfer operation.
While other entities may not need to be involved in every aspect of the
transfer of context, they do need to be able to request particular context
and recieve the results of the context transfer request.

Requested change:

4.2 The context transfer MUST define the common IP level (layer 3) triggers
to initiate context transfer. 

4.3 The context transfer MUST separate the signaling to initiate Context
Transfer from the transfer of context.   

	The request for the transfer of context may come from the MN,
current AR, recieving AR, or other entity on the Access Network. There could
be instances where the access network or the MN may need to initiate context
transfer e.g. to actively balance the load between several ARs or to switch
to a different type of access technology.   Therefore, a common set of IP
level signalling messages (Layer 3 Triggers) must be defined, and the
current AR must capable of recieveing such messsages on any of its
interfaces.  These signalling messages do not preclude the use of Layer 2
Triggers at the current AR to initiate the common layer 3 signaling for
context transfer initiation.
 
Proposal