Subject: RE: [seamoby] RE: Yet another Security RANT was L2 API (WAS: Ext . for FMIPv6 - comments) (SHOULD be , RE: Issue #4)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:01:44 +0300

Hi Madjid,

> I heard Jeff Schiller during his security tutorial say:
> "Don't come to us with unsecure protocols and say this is
> my protocol, if you need security, use IPSec. You need to secure
> your protocols yourself."
> He also said, "the security folks in security area say, why should
> we drop everything and go analyze other people's security problems"
> 
> As much as most of us feel we don't know as much as we would like
> about security, we need to deal with it ourself. You can expect
> your neighbor to shovel your driveway, just because he has a expensive
> blower. 

Exactly - that was a good summary.  

For Phil - I think the idea is that if you leave your front door
wide open, don't blame the police when you find that all of your
stuff has been stolen.

John

---

From: "Melinda Shore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:26:48 -0400

> wide open, don't blame the police when you find that all of your

The way I tend to look at it is that if you create a
security exposure that didn't exist previously, it's
your responsibility to take care of it.

Melinda