Subject: [seamoby] 3GPP IP Paging Hack

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:53:00 -0700 (PDT)

I'm told that, in the absence of a well defined IP paging
protocol, 3GPP has decided to adopt a hack involving SMS and WAP
to do push services notification from the core network. I don't
have many details, but I think the idea is that where there is no
active PDP context, the core issues an SMS message including some
WAP content that causes the MN to wake up and smell the coffee.

Is there anyone out there who regularly attends 3GPP meetings that
has more information on this? Unfortunatly, I am unable to attend
any 3GPP meetings because Sun has a very strict travel ban in
place, but if anybody on the Seamoby list goes, perhaps we can
come up with a contribution that compares the Seamoby paging
requirements for 3GPP's? We also have at least one candidate
protocol.

BTW, for those of you who doubted the wisdom of making the protocol
independent of mobile IP, this is an example of why. 3GPP doesn't
use MIP except for inter-domain handover. If the paging protocol
is independent of MIP, it will work for them too.

		jak