Subject: Re: [seamoby] Paging Next Steps

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:12:12 -0700 (PDT)

Marco,

>
>I think having a separate I-D coming with each protocol proposal introduces a
>lot of overhead. The individual I-Ds on the protocols comformance to the
>requirements will probably lead to discussions on the mailing list anyway. So
>why not comparing the submissions directly on the list, initiated by the
>authors of the submissions sending an e-mail to the list with similar contents
>as you proposed to be in the extra I-D? I do not expect kind of 'ranking list'
>of protocols conformance to the requirements will help to design the seamoby
>paging protocol, but I expect to take over the best ideas and mechanism
>described in the different submissions and to merge them to a common proposal,
>which could be the basis for the seamoby protocol. What do you think?
>

Actually, I prefer to have the requriments tracability for the protocol
directly in the spec itself. That way, it becomes part of the linked
definition of the protocol. I also think the requirements tracability
should be in the ultimate RFC'ed protocol spec as well. Requirements
may change over time and if tracability is part of the spec, it is easier to 
return to the requirements if modifications are needed than to simply hack the
protocol.

>Having the meeting on paging in September or not should be fixed and notified
>as soon as possible in order to allow further plannings. Do you really think
>it is good to have a combined meeting for CT and for paging? This would
>require strict plannings of an appropriate agenda. I would like to refer to
>James comment on having at least 2 -3 days in order to meet on paging.
>

I agree with Pat that we should have both together because it is
one working group. Oct. 12 works, and I am prepared to get a room
at Sun for the meeting. I do think we will need at least 2 1/2 days
for the paging meeting (provided we get protocol proposals and
requirements tracability by then). How long will CT need?

		jak