Subject: RE: [seamoby] draft-ietf-seamoby-ct-reqs-02.txt

From: "Shahrier, Sharif M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:15:49 -0500

According to this list ICMP TYPE values from 41-255 are reserved. Now, does
this mean that its possible for individuals to petition IANA, to use a TYPE
value from this range?

Also,  if I'm not mistaken, the ICMP TYPE is 6-bits. This means a maximum of
64 possible TYPE values are available. Thus, what would be the significance
of reserving values from 65-255, since we can't use them anyway?

I would appreciate it f someone could comment on this.

-Sharif.

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Allison Mankin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Monday, November 26, 2001 8:00 PM
To:	Shahrier, Sharif M.
Cc:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: [seamoby] draft-ietf-seamoby-ct-reqs-02.txt 

> Could anyone please advise me where I can get the document that lists all 
> the standardized (so far) values for TYPE and CODE in the ICMP message? 

The definitive list is the IANA registry:
 
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters

See also RFC 2780 (BCP 37) about how new ones get approved.