Subject: [Seamoby] Role of WG Document and WG Document Editor

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:35:49 -0800

Folks,

There seems to be a certain degree of misunderstanding
about what it means to be a WG document.

When a document is a WG document, the technical content
is the responsibility of the WG, not just the document editor.
WG members can and should contribute technical content
either by sending to the document editor or by sending
it to the list for discussion. The WG document editor is
reponsible for the editorial content of the document, making
sure it is easily readable and that deadlines are not missed.
Of course, the document editor can also contribute content,
and a document editor may request that a particular
point sent to him/her by a WG member be posted to the
list for discussion, if he/she thinks that the request requires
it.

Thus, the selection of draft-renker as a WG document for
paging doesn't mean that only Marco and his co-authors
get to contribute content. Everybody in the WG does, and
we really do need the co-operation of people with ideas
and perspectives on the problem, most especially the authors
of the other protocols. The current draft needs work,
as the assessment team report has indicated,
and Marco has indicated that he is ready to start taking
suggestions for improvement.

So, please, if you have suggestions for improvements,
send them to Marco or to the list for discussion.

                jak

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:56:41 -0500 (EST)

this is a good reminder - but one clarification:

> it to the list for discussion.

the doc needs to reflect the WG consensus so technical changes should not
be done in private between the editor and someone else - there should 
be discussion on the list to show that there is consensus on the
point before it gets added to the draft

scott

-----