Subject: RE: [Seamoby] CAR Discovery Requirements

From: "Trossen Dirk (NRC/Boston)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:34:29 -0500

Hi Phil,

comments inline

> I would like to see the following requirement added:
> 
> 1).  It MUST support IPv4 and IPv6, but may take advantage of features
>      in IPv6 that are not in IPv4.  For example anycast addressing may
>      be useful as well address autoconfiguration.

I can see the first part 'It MUST support IPv4 and IPv6' as a
requirement. 
I don't see the necessity for the rest of your comment. Either you
provide a 
solution that handles IPv4 and V6 in separate modules to fulfill said
first 
part of your requirement. Then I don't care that for the V6 part you're
using 
V6 features. Or you provide a combined solution which prohibits V6-only 
features since it would violate said first part.
In conclusion, only 'It MUST support IPv4 and IPv6' is a requirement we 
have to agree on.

> 
> 2).  It MUST provide a query (client server) and/or a post 
> (publish and
>      subscribe) method to allow other mobility protocols like 
> those being
>      worked on in the MIP and MANET WGs to cooperate with 
> this protocol.

Requirement 9 of the current list already states the independence of any
mobility management protocol. Why do you want to enforce specific
methods that have to be provided to ensure (from your point of view)
said independence? 
In conclusion, I think said requirement 9 is sufficient since it leave
more freedom for the actual solution.

Regards,

Dirk

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: "pdn \(N9FCW\) in FL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:49:30 -0500

This is just my opinion.

In my experience, interfaces between different protocols, are of crucial
importance in the  specifications stage.  If the goal is broad applicability
and inter-operability of whatever CAR becomes, we probably should
specify how information is pulled out of and put into CAR, i.e. the
interfaces, right?

Thanks!

Phil