Subject: [Seamoby] IP paging question

From: Pars MUTAF <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:54:46 +0100

Hello,

I have a question concerning IP paging:

What will be the order of magnitude of the "dormant mode timer"
i.e. the time a host waits before making a dormant mode registration
(when it is not in active communication).

I'm not asking (of course) for an exact value. It will be in
milliseconds or seconds?

I would say in milliseconds, or "register as quickly as possible" but
I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
pars

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:15:33 -0800

Pars,

This sounds like a policy issue to me. I think it should
be configurable but the spec should provide a
suggested default. 

As to what that default is, good question.

            jak

---

From: Marco Liebsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:15:48 +0100

Hello Pars,
of course, from power saving point of view, the MN intends to enter
dormant mode as early as possible. But I think more parameters have to be
considered for this issue. This is, as an example, the systems
characteristics (e.g. mobility management) as well as network protocol
characteristics. For IPv6, characteristics of Neighbour Cache maintenance
should be considered in order to avoid 'black hole' behaviour of the
system (packet addresses a MN's link address, taken from cache, although
the MN has entered dormant mode already). In case of IPv6, the
RachableTime value is 30 sec. Of course, more system characteristics
affect the degree of sensitivity for black holes. This is for example
having Mobile IPv6 with Route Optimization, allowing direct addressing of
MNs from CN point of view (if a valid binding cache entry is available).
If the oAR would have a valid cache entry in its table, the packet could
be lost. In my opinion, the timer you referred to should be configurable,
dependent on the platform's characteristics.

Regards,

marco