Subject: [Seamoby] Re: draft-westphal-nsis-qos-mobileip-00.txt

From: "Gary Kenward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:59:51 -0400

I finally managed to find time to read through Cedric's and Hemant's draft.
Overally, I think it is a good description of one possible integrated
approach.

The one general comment I would like to offer up at this time, is that while

the draft does a good job of integrating MIP, CT and NSIS concepts, the 
proposed solutions for QoS negotiation between MN and AN (e.g. the use of
the 
CIN message) is NSIS not CT.

CT is concerned with the transfer of forwarding service context between
ANRs. 
NSIS is concerned with the signalling of service requirements. Thus, the
issue
is not how to interwork the "CT" CIN, for example, with NSIS signalling, but
how 
the CIN, etc., form part of the NSIS solution.

This is not simply an issue of adherence to Seamoby/NSIS models or charters.
The intention has always been that CT work as a context transfer mechanism
with a variety of mobility and service signalling solutions. There is a
significant 
benefit in the real world to be realized in keeping the context transfer
solution
(CT) independent from the service signalling solution (NSIS) (and the
mobility 
solution - MIP or whatever). I would think that there is also a benefit to
keeping
the MN to AR service signalling independent of CT.

Stated a different way, do we really need two separate solutions for over
the air 
(MN to AN) service signalling? 

Regards,
Gary Kenward