Subject: RE: [Seamoby] Seamoby CT Requirements Issue 3: Text on Feature Co ntext Standardization

From: Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:09:17 -0500

Disagree with 1
Prefer 3 over 2.
Agree with 3.

Madjid

-----Original Message-----
From: James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 6:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Seamoby] Seamoby CT Requirements Issue 3: Text on Feature
Context Standardization

The following are proposals adding text on feature context standardization.
Please indicate which proposal you AGREE with (if any), and which
proposals you DISAGREE with. Please *only* indicate AGREE
with only one proposal.

------------
Proposal 1: Do not add anything on feature context standardization.
------------

------------
Proposal 2:  Add the following text:

    Section 6: Standardization of Feature Contexts

    The context transfer protocol provides a basic framework in which
feature
    contexts of varying types can be transferred. Recognizing that the
    particular feature contexts may have very different needs with regard
    to update, synchronization, and transport, the base context transfer
    protocol requirements are designed to not constrain how the context
transfer
    protocol is used for particular feature contexts with respect to these
    points. In addition, some feature contexts may require additional
processing
    on the target access router before they can be of use. Individual
feature
    contexts will be standardized by the method of IETF standards action.
    The standardizationof a feature context should describe how a feature
context
    utilizes the base context transfer protocol; if update, synchronization,
and
    additional proccessing are required, and, if so, how they are achieved;
and
the
    transport used for the feature context.

------------

Proposal 3: Add the following text:

    5.8 Feature Context Specifications

    The context transfer protocol provides a basic framework in which
feature
    contexts of varying types can be transfered. Recognizing that the
particular
    feature contexts may have very different needs with regard to update,
    synchronization, and transport, this section contains requirements on
the
    feature context specifications. Note that these requirements do not
    constrain the actual feature context protocols themselves, but only
their
    specification.

    5.8.1 A feature context specification MUST contain an IANA assigned type
    code for the particular feature context. If an experimental feature
context
    protocol is being developed, a type code from the context transfer
   protocol's experimental range SHOULD be used. The type code is used in
the
   context transfer container to identify the feature context.

    5.8.2 A feature context specification MUST define the byte layout of the
    individual elements of the feature context, and how those map into the
    context transfer protocol's container. The byte layout SHOULD obey
    standard IETF conventions with regard to mapping of data into on the
     wire format.

    5.8.3 If the feature context is transferred using an IETF transport
layer
    protocol, and relying on specific mechanisms of the transport layer
    protocol, such as reliability or timing mechanisms, then
    the feature context specification MUST include the full details of how
the
    transport layer protocol is used. One must note that employing different
    transport mechanisms for different feature context might lead to limited
    possibility of multiplexing various feature contexts

    If the feature context is transferred as an
    option on another IETF protocol, then the feature context specification
MUST
    define the mapping of the context transfer container into the other
     protocol's standard option format. If the feature context is
transferred
     through a non-IETF protocol (such as IAPP [4]), then the feature
context
    protocol specification MUST define how the standard context transfer
   container is mapped into the non-IETF transport.

    5.8.4 A feature context specification MUST indicate whether update to
    context information is allowed if changes in the source occur after the
    context is transferred. If such changes are allowed, the feature context
    specification MUST define the change protocol message format using the
    standard context transfer container, and MUST include details of how the
    update is accomplished and triggered.

    5.8.5 A feature context specification MUST indicate whether the context
    transfer is tightly synchronized with external events, such as handover.
    The feature context specification MUST indicate what event or events
    trigger transfer.

    6.0 References

    [4]  "Recommended Practice for Multi-vendor Interaccess Point
    Interoperability via an Inter-access Point Protocol Across Distribution
    Systems Supporting IEEE 802.11 Operation," IEEE Std. 802.11f/D3,
    January, 2002.

--------------

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:09:17 -0500

Disagree with 1
Prefer 3 over 2.
Agree with 3.

Madjid

-----Original Message-----
From: James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 6:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Seamoby] Seamoby CT Requirements Issue 3: Text on Feature
Context Standardization

------------

------------

------------

    6.0 References

--------------

---

From: "Hamid Syed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:18:24 -0400

Agree with proposal 2, Disagree with 1 & 3.

-Hamid

-----Original Message-----
From: James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 7:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Seamoby] Seamoby CT Requirements Issue 3: Text on Feature
Context Standardization

------------

------------

------------

    6.0 References

--------------

---

From: "Hamid Syed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:18:24 -0400

-Hamid

-----Original Message-----
From: James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 7:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Seamoby] Seamoby CT Requirements Issue 3: Text on Feature
Context Standardization

------------

------------

------------

    6.0 References

--------------