Subject: [Seamoby] Reminder: Last Call for CT Reqirements Ends Wed.

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:24:10 -0700

A reminder: last call for the CT requirements document
(draft-ietf-seamoby-ct-reqs-04.txt) concludes on Wed. Sept 25. So far, we have
not received any comments. If you have any comments, please send them to the
list by that date.

            jak

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:18:47 -0500

Reading from 2119

   SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a
   particular item, but the full implications must be understood and
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course

   MAY   This word, or the adjective "OPTIONAL", mean that an item is
   truly optional.  One vendor may choose to include the item because a
   particular marketplace requires it or because the vendor feels that
   it enhances the product while another vendor may omit the same item.
   ......

It means you need to fully understand the implication of not supporting
a SHOULD item, before you exclude it. On the other hand if it is something
that may be useful in some cases, a may is more appropriate. 

Looking at 4.6, I would say one-to-many context transfer is not
an item that its "not use" needs to be investigated, but its "use" 
needs careful considerations. 
Example:
If you are dealing with dynamic context that is affected by flow of data
at a specific AR (header compression, or measurement based QoS context)
sending the context through a whole bunch of ARs that may not even see
the data causes serious synchronization issues for such context.

Based on this counter-example:
I say this requirement should be changed to "may" unless it is stated that
SHOULD only applies to the context whose value is not affected by data flow.

Madjid

-----Original Message-----
From: James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 11:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Seamoby] Reminder: Last Call for CT Reqirements Ends Wed.

            jak