Subject: [Seamoby] Issue#18: Requesting ARs to perform ONLY reverse address translation

From: Marco Liebsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:00:53 +0200

issue#18 raised by Vijay on "section 4: CARD protocol operation":

[Vijay]"lets say, the MN is interested only in reverse address
translation and not in capability information. How does the
MN indicate this to the access router? I think supporting
this is essential."

[marco]I agree to this and solutions could be very different
(set a flag or append appropriate Preferences sub-option[indicate NO ATTRIBUTES], ...).

Maybe a flag is most appropriate for this indication to avoid
superfluous protocol overhead, what do you think?

marco

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:21:33 -0700

for CARD to stand alone as a protocol, it does make sense to
include a flag in the CARD Request so that the MN can explicity
ask the current AR for reverse address translation alone. I
very much would like to see this feature.

but then we have a problem. if a MN uses a CARD Request just for
reverse address translation, then the CARD request does exactly
what the ProxyRtrSolicitation does. ofcourse you can include
more than one L2 ID in the CARD request, whereas you can include
only one L2 ID in ProxyRtrSolicitation.

maybe this is okay. I am not sure. do others have an opinion on
this?

Vijay