Subject: [Seamoby] Context Transfer Extension to Cellular-IP v01

From: Michael Georgiades <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:58:18 +0100

Hi all,

The Internet draft below, proposes a Context Transfer Extension to
Cellular-IP.

        Title           : Context Transfer Extension to Cellular-IP
        Author(s)       : M. Georgiades et al.
        Filename        : draft-georgiades-seamoby-ctecip-01.txt
        Pages           : 13
        Date            : 2003-7-1

This Internet draft enhances cellular-IP mobility protocol with a
Context Transfer mechanism aiming to further optimise the handoff
operation in mobile networks. Within a cellular-IP domain, during the
handoff from one cellular-IP base station to another, cellular-IP
packets could be  used to initiate and transfer authorised context
from the previous cellular-IP base station via the cellular-IP
gateway to the new cellular-IP base station. This draft presents how
the context transfer extension introduced could facilitate in
reducing latency and packet loss by avoiding the signalling required
between the mobile node and the new base station  in  re-establishing
the desired state information.

URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-georgiades-seamoby-ctecip-01.txt

--
Michael Georgiades
Research Fellow
Centre for Communication Systems Research
University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XH

Tel: +44 (0) 1483 683605
Fax: +44 (0) 1483 686011
www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/ccsr

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:52:14 +0300

Hi Michael,
 
I gave the draft a quick read, I have no substantial comments at the moment,
but I did notice some formatting bugs & also I suggest that you normalize
the terminology with the terminology in the Terminalogy draft.
 
One question, as this seems to be an extention to Cellular IP and not
really related to CTP that we are working on in Seamoby, I am not sure
the relevance of this draft.  I will remind you that we are trying to go
dormant after this meeting in Vienna.
 
thanks,
John

Hi all, 

  

URL: 

-- 

Michael Georgiades

Research Fellow

University of Surrey

Tel: +44 (0) 1483 683605

Fax: +44 (0) 1483 686011

www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/ccsr

---

From: Michael Georgiades <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:52:47 +0100

Hi John,

Thanks for your comments about the draft. I will make this corrections
on the
next update.

By submitting this draft we are not by any means undermining the work of
the 
Context Transfer Team. In this draft we are demonstrating how the
handover 
protocol could be modified to transfer the state information which is
especially 
suitable in cases where the mobility protocol makes use of a central
entity 
(Using cellular-IP as an example).

We believe that when such a mobility protocol is used it may be more
appropriate
to utilise the existing message exchange rather than to have a
specialised 
Context Transfer protocol. 

Cheers,

Mike

 

        Hi all, 

        The Internet draft below, proposes a Context Transfer Extension
to 
        Cellular-IP. 

                Title           : Context Transfer Extension to
Cellular-IP 
                Author(s)       : M. Georgiades et al. 
                Filename        : draft-georgiades-seamoby-ctecip-01.txt 
                Pages           : 13 
                Date            : 2003-7-1 
          
        This Internet draft enhances cellular-IP mobility protocol with
a 
        Context Transfer mechanism aiming to further optimise the
handoff 
        operation in mobile networks. Within a cellular-IP domain,
during the 
        handoff from one cellular-IP base station to another,
cellular-IP 
        packets could be  used to initiate and transfer authorised
context 
        from the previous cellular-IP base station via the cellular-IP 
        gateway to the new cellular-IP base station. This draft presents
how 
        the context transfer extension introduced could facilitate in 
        reducing latency and packet loss by avoiding the signalling
required 
        between the mobile node and the new base station  in 
re-establishing 
        the desired state information. 

        URL: 

        Tel: +44 (0) 1483 683605
        Fax: +44 (0) 1483 686011
        www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/ccsr

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby