Subject: Fwd: cleanup

From: "Todd T. Fries" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:10:37 -0600

In light of the current discussion, I feel I should have sent this email
to the list instead of the authors in the referenced documents.

----- Forwarded message from "Todd T. Fries" <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:01:10 -0600
From: "Todd T. Fries" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
	[email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: cleanup
X-tra-email: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

You have received this email because you are an author of a draft
of the secsh working group and I believe there is still an issue
with them.

Basically, I'd like to remove the entire blurbage about "ssh" being
a trademark, because mentioning a logo trademark is quite outside
the scope of this working group, especially considering RFC2026:

   "The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of
    any intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed
    to  pertain to the implementation or use of the technology
    described in this document or the extent to which any license
    under such rights might or might not be available; neither does
    it represent that it has made any effort to identify any such
    rights.

Putting a trademark referencing a logo under 'Trademark Issues' tends
to contradict the above.

Please consider removing this `issue' from the drafts so that the drafts
can move onto becoming standards.

Thank you,
--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]

Index: draft-ietf-secsh-architecture.txt
===================================================================
RCS file: /u/todd/src/.cvs/home/ref/drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-architecture.txt,v
retrieving revision 1.9
diff -u -r1.9 draft-ietf-secsh-architecture.txt
--- draft-ietf-secsh-architecture.txt	2001/03/06 15:15:41	1.9
+++ draft-ietf-secsh-architecture.txt	2001/03/06 15:48:26
@@ -75,9 +75,8 @@
 6.  Message Numbers   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
 7.  IANA Considerations   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
 8.  Security Considerations   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
-9.  Trademark Issues  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
-10.  References   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
-11.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
+9.  References   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
+10.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11

 1.  Introduction
@@ -556,13 +555,8 @@
 disabled. The Secure Shell protocol does not protect against message
 alteration if no MAC is used.

-9.  Trademark Issues
+9.  References

-"ssh" is a registered trademark of SSH Communications Security Corp in
-the United States and/or other countries.
-
-10.  References
-
 [FIPS-186] Federal Information Processing Standards Publication (FIPS
 PUB) 186, Digital Signature Standard, 18 May 1994.

@@ -614,7 +608,7 @@
 [SECSH-CONNECT] Ylonen, T., et al: "Secure Shell Connection Protocol",
 Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-secsh-connect-10.txt

-11.  Authors' Addresses
+10.  Authors' Addresses

     Tatu Ylonen
     SSH Communications Security Corp
Index: draft-ietf-secsh-connect.txt
===================================================================
RCS file: /u/todd/src/.cvs/home/ref/drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-connect.txt,v
retrieving revision 1.11
diff -u -r1.11 draft-ietf-secsh-connect.txt
--- draft-ietf-secsh-connect.txt	2001/03/06 15:17:41	1.11
+++ draft-ietf-secsh-connect.txt	2001/03/06 15:48:28
@@ -87,9 +87,8 @@
 6.  Encoding of Terminal Modes  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
 7.  Summary of Message Numbers  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
 8.  Security Considerations   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
-9.  Trademark Issues  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
-10.  References   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
-11.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
+9.  References   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
+10.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16

@@ -901,13 +900,8 @@
 dangerous features (e.g. agent forwarding, X11 forwarding, and TCP/IP
 forwarding) if the host key has changed.

-9.  Trademark Issues
+9.  References

-"ssh" is a registered trademark of SSH Communications Security Corp in
-the United States and/or other countries.
-
-10.  References
-
 [RFC-1766] Alvestrand, H: "Tags for the Identification of Languages",
 March 1995.

@@ -934,7 +928,7 @@
 [SECSH-USERAUTH] Ylonen, T., et al: "Secure Shell Authentication
 Protocol", Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-10.txt

-11.  Authors' Addresses
+10.  Authors' Addresses

     Tatu Ylonen
     SSH Communications Security Corp
Index: draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer.txt
===================================================================
RCS file: /u/todd/src/.cvs/home/ref/drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer.txt,v
retrieving revision 1.2
diff -u -r1.2 draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer.txt
--- draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer.txt	2001/03/06 15:18:33	1.2
+++ draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer.txt	2001/03/06 15:48:32
@@ -85,9 +85,8 @@
   10.1.  Changes between versions 3 and 2   . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
   10.2.  Changes between versions 2 and 1   . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
   10.3.  Changes between versions 1 and 0   . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
-11.  Trademark Issues   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
-12.  References   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
-13.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
+11.  References   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
+12.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19

@@ -1062,13 +1061,8 @@
 
 INTERNET-DRAFT                                            2 March, 2001

-11.  Trademark Issues
+11.  References

-"ssh" is a registered trademark of SSH Communications Security Corp in
-the United States and/or other countries.
-
-12.  References
-
 [RFC-2246] Dierks, T. and Allen, C.: "The TLS Protocol Version 1.0",
 January 1999

@@ -1088,7 +1082,7 @@
 [SECSH-CONNECT] Ylonen, T., et al: "Secure Shell Connection Protocol",
 Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-secsh-connect-10.txt

-13.  Authors' Addresses
+12.  Authors' Addresses

     Tatu Ylonen
     SSH Communications Security Corp
Index: draft-ietf-secsh-publickeyfile.txt
===================================================================
RCS file: /u/todd/src/.cvs/home/ref/drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-publickeyfile.txt,v
retrieving revision 1.2
diff -u -r1.2 draft-ietf-secsh-publickeyfile.txt
--- draft-ietf-secsh-publickeyfile.txt	2001/03/06 15:19:45	1.2
+++ draft-ietf-secsh-publickeyfile.txt	2001/03/06 15:48:33
@@ -230,4 +230,4 @@

 J. Galbraith, R. Thayer                                         [Page 4]
-
\ No newline at end of file
+
Index: draft-ietf-secsh-transport.txt
===================================================================
RCS file: /u/todd/src/.cvs/home/ref/drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-transport.txt,v
retrieving revision 1.11
diff -u -r1.11 draft-ietf-secsh-transport.txt
--- draft-ietf-secsh-transport.txt	2001/03/06 15:24:14	1.11
+++ draft-ietf-secsh-transport.txt	2001/03/06 15:48:37
@@ -91,9 +91,8 @@
   9.4.  Reserved Messages   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
 10.  Summary of Message Numbers   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
 11.  Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
-12.  Trademark Issues   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
-13.  References   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
-14.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22
+12.  References   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
+13.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22

@@ -1203,13 +1202,8 @@
 recipient has no reliable way to verify whether such information is
 being sent.

-12.  Trademark Issues
+12.  References

-"ssh" is a registered trademark of SSH Communications Security Corp in
-the United States and/or other countries.
-
-13.  References
-
 [FIPS-186] Federal Information Processing Standards Publication (FIPS
 PUB) 186, Digital Signature Standard, 18 May 1994.

@@ -1270,7 +1264,7 @@
 [SECSH-CONNECT] Ylonen, T., et al: "Secure Shell Connection Protocol",
 Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-secsh-connect-10.txt

-14.  Authors' Addresses
+13.  Authors' Addresses

     Tatu Ylonen
     SSH Communications Security Corp
Index: draft-ietf-secsh-userauth.txt
===================================================================
RCS file: /u/todd/src/.cvs/home/ref/drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-userauth.txt,v
retrieving revision 1.11
diff -u -r1.11 draft-ietf-secsh-userauth.txt
--- draft-ietf-secsh-userauth.txt	2001/03/06 15:28:31	1.11
+++ draft-ietf-secsh-userauth.txt	2001/03/06 15:48:39
@@ -73,9 +73,8 @@
 5.  Password Authentication Method: password  . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
 6.  Host-Based Authentication: hostbased  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
 7.  Security Considerations   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
-8.  Trademark Issues  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
-9.  References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
-10.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
+8.  References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
+9.  Authors' Addresses   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11

@@ -582,18 +581,13 @@
 messages may reveal surprising amounts of information about the host if
 not properly designed. Debug messages can be disabled (during user
 authentication phase) if high security is required.
-8.  Trademark Issues

-
 T. Ylonen, T. Kivinen, M. Saarinen, T. Rinne and S. Lehtinen   [page 10]
 
 INTERNET-DRAFT                                            2 March, 2001

-"ssh" is a registered trademark of SSH Communications Security Corp in
-the United States and/or other countries.
-
-9.  References
+8.  References

 [RFC-1766] Alvestrand, H: "Tags for the Identification of Languages",
 March 1995.
@@ -610,7 +604,7 @@
 [SECSH-CONNECT] Ylonen, T., et al: "Secure Shell Connection Protocol",
 Internet-Draft, draft-secsh-connect-10.txt

-10.  Authors' Addresses
+9.  Authors' Addresses

     Tatu Ylonen
     SSH Communications Security Corp

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]