Subject: ISMS ("Integrated Security Model for SNMP") considering use of SSH transport.

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:27:27 +0200

FYI, it appears that the Integrated Security Model for SNMP working
group is seriously considering the use of the Secure Shell protocol as a
secure transport..

See draft minutes at:

ftp://ftp.netlab.nec.de/pub/isms/IETF63/0-isms-minutes-ietf63.txt

the ISMS charter page is at: 

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/isms-charter.html

					- Bill

---

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:41:33 +0200

Yes, the isms WG meeting was in favour but of course that has yet to be
confirmed on the isms list.

If and when it is (and hopefully not just transport but userauth, subsystems and
connections),
Please Help.

My experience of the isms list over the past year has been that it has plenty of
security experts (it is, after all, a security WG), in-depth knowledge of TLS
but not the same richness for SSH.  For example, the current I-D looked at TLS
as an exemplar of transport level security; I posted the changes I saw as needed
for SSH but the unanswered issues for SSH remain mostly unanswered.

So if you want to see SSH being used in this way, and isms decides to go this
way, please contribute.  I made my mind up that SSH was the right stuff five
months ago and am relieved that others do too.

Tom Petch
isms list member with no official role or standing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Sommerfeld" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 2:27 PM
Subject: ISMS ("Integrated Security Model for SNMP") considering use of
SSHtransport.