Subject: filexfer: rationale style text in draft...

From: Joseph Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:08:39 -0600

I've a question for you draft-writing pros...

Strewn throughout the filexfer draft are comments like the
following examples:

 > However, to ease the burden of implementation on servers that
 > use a single, simple, seperator sequence...

or

 > Note that the name "supported2" is used here to avoid conflict
 > with the slightly different "supported" extension that was
 > previously used.

In addition, there is the 'change-log' section.

Am I correct in thinking that this kinds of 'rationale'
or 'history' type comments are not appropriate, and
should be removed?

Is there any official guidance on these kinds of things?

Thanks,

Joseph

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:13:25 -0400

> or 'history' type comments are not appropriate, and

The changelog should generally be removed in the RFC-editor process.
Rationale does not in general seem inappropriate to me, especially when the 
reason for a decision is non-obvious.