Subject: SFTP server newline convention

From: "Salowey, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:25:31 -0700

In reading draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-09.txt it seems that the newline
extension is for the server to tell the client what the newline
convention is for text files. This then puts the burden of newline
conversion on the client instead of the server if the canonical newline
character sequences differ.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

If this is the case then it doesn't seem like it makes sense to be able
to specify the canonical newline indicator in the SFTP URI since this is
a server specified parameter and I can remove the parameter from the
current draft.  

Thanks,

Joe

---

From: Joseph Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:06:55 -0600

> character sequences differ.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

Yes.

> a server specified parameter and I can remove the parameter from the

I believe this is the case.  When a file is opened in TEXT mode,
the newline indicator is either:

   a. Whatever the server specified in the newline extension

   b. CRLF if the server didn't send a newline extension

(However, none of this applies if the file isn't opened in TEXT
  mode-- if the file isn't opened in text mode, it probably uses
  whatever newline convention the server sent, but the server
  isn't canonicalizing.)

Thanks,

Joseph