Subject: Re: The benefits of "Lists are Entries" rather than "Lists are Feeds"

From: "A. Pagaltzis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:33:33 +0200

* Graham <[email-masked]> [2005-08-31 20:40]:
> On 31 Aug 2005, at 6:22 pm, Roger B. wrote:
> >(1) If the lists are embedded as (X)HTML, then only
> >aggregators that display markup will be able to do anything
> >with them, and headline-only aggregators will be useless.
> 
> And damn those unthinking bloggers who embed their paragraphs
> as (X) HTML, because headline-only aggregators are useless for
> reading them.

Straw man. These bloggers are embedding the content of a single
entry in each single entry, not the content of a collection of
entries.

> >(2) If the lists are embedded in a new extension of some sort,
> >developers have to buy in to get even minimal functionality.
> 
> Who is advocating this?

I don’t know about advocating, but it has been mentioned.

> Another feature is the list can be formatted properly XHTML,
> considerably improving legibly over a bunch of floating
> entries.

Straw man. The onus for the legibility of an XHTML-formatted list
lies with the publisher; for the entries-as-items list, it lies
with the aggregator developer. I’m sorry if you aggregator
developer can’t make a bunch of floating entries very readable.

Regards,
-- 
Aristotle Pagaltzis // <http://plasmasturm.org/>