Subject: [sfc] #1 (nsh): Add a new field to include the SFC Identifier

From: "sfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 05:54:24 -0000

#1: Add a new field to include the SFC Identifier

 The current specification does only allow to indicate a SFP Identifier
 that is useful only for deployments that rely on a centralized path
 computation. This too restrictive.

 As a reminder,
 * a SFC may be bound to one or multiple SFPs.
 * A SFP does not uniquely identify a SFC

 Whether the path computation is fully distributed, fully centralized, or
 even a combination therefore is really implementation-specific.

 The correlation between a path identifier and a service chain is not
 evident from the reading of a packet.

 Including a SFC Identifier into the header is not only required for the
 distributed path model but also for cases where the path is partially
 determined (RSP).

 The minimum information to be included in the SFC header is the chain
 identifier itself not the path identifier.

 I suggest to add a new field that carries an SFC Identifier. FWIW, SFC
 Identifier is an index that ambiguously identifies a SFC instantiated
 within an SFC-enabled domain.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-sfc-
  [email-masked]       |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:
Component:  nsh                      |    Version:
 Severity:  -                        |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/sfc/trac/ticket/1>
sfc <http://tools.ietf.org/sfc/>