Subject: [shim6] status and plan of draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api

From: Shinta Sugimoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:06:45 +0900

Dear SHIM6 WG chairs, and all,

Representing the co-authors of the draft, let me explain the status and
plan of the multihome shim API draft.

The latest version of the draft can be found at the following URL:
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-shim6-multihome-shim-api-09.txt

The document as it stands (09) is not ready for WGLC and there are some
remaining issues:

- We need to figure out which socket options are valid for which types
(i.e., connected/unconnected) of sockets. Some of the socket options
such as SHIM_ASSOCIATED are not valid for unconnected sockets. We have
not done sanity check for all the socket options yet. So the sanity
check and providing descriptions about error handling (e.g., what errno
should be returned when application makes an false attempt) shall be
done.

- We are not aware of any implementation of the socket API extensions so
far. I understand that implementation report would be valuable to see if
the document defines enough details.  We are going to ask HIP/SHIM6
implementers to implement some of the socket options that relate to
locator management, and some of us (co-authors) are also planning to
implement those on Linux and BSD platforms.  In anycase, we hope we can
present at least one implementation to show feasibility of the API
before going for the WGLC and IESG review.

- We need feedbacks from application programmers. We have not succeeded
to receive feedbacks, but we will try by solicitating comments on the
ietf apps-discuss ML.

When it comes to timeline, we aim to go for WGLC before the Hiroshima
IETF meeting.  So, we are planning to complete the remaining issues by
mid October, and we think 2.5 months for the above tasks are doable.

Regards,
Shinta