Subject: Re: [sidr] One and only one RPKI

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 10:29:25 -0500

At 7:40 PM +0100 11/26/08, tom.petch wrote:
>piggybacking, a question that has been bugging me , what is an RPKI?

The resource PKI is an instance of a PKI, devoted to issuing certs 
for the "resources" that are managed by IANA and the RIRs, i.e., 
Internet address space and autonomous system numbers.

>Is it an 'object class' of which the one discussed within sidr is an object
>instance?

There is only one resource allocation system for the Internet, so 
there is only one RPKI.

>or is it something invented by sidr/RPSEC/IETF etc and does not
>exist outside this?

SIDR is creating the standards that define the RPKI, while IANA and 
the RIRs are implementing CAs, protocols, and repositories consistent 
with those standards.

>I have been through the I-Ds and they all seem to take this knowledge
>as a prerequisite but without any normative reference thereto.

Sorry that we didn't do an adequate job there.  We will revisit the 
documents , primarily the architecture document, and see how we can 
improve the communication.

>Perhaps draft-ietf-sidr-arch could contain an explanation (and an expansion
>of  RPKI when first it appears:-).

yes, it should!

Steve
_______________________________________________
sidr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr