Subject: Re: [sidr] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sidr-repos-struct-07.txt

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:42:13 -0500

Hi,

I think this draft needs media type registrations for .mft and .roa. 
.cer and .crl are already in RFC 2585.  I think it needs media type 
registration because every other draft I've ever seen that specifies a 
file extension does so.  RFC 2585 specifies .cer and .crl and they're in 
a media type registration.  Also, I got the impression that the 
repository draft  can be done in other ways and a media type would 
support other profiles of the repository.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288 outlines the registration procedures. 
  We'll be in the application/* tree so it's standard tree and the 
procedures are:

  Proposed registrations in the standards tree by other standards
  bodies should be communicated to the IESG (at [email-masked]) and to
  the ietf-types list (at [email-masked]).

During IETF LC make sure to ask the AD to copy [email-masked]. 
Here's some suggested text for Section 7:

7. IANA Considerations

    IANA is requested to register the following two media types:

    application/rpki-manifest
    application/rpki-roa

    This document also uses the .cer and .crl file extensions from
    application/pkix-cert and application/pkix-crl media registries
    defined in [RFC2585].

7.1. application/rpki-manifest

    MIME media type name: application

    MIME subtype name: rpki-manifest

    Required parameters: None

    Optional parameters: None

    Encoding considerations: binary

    Security considerations:

       Carries a RPKI Manifest [I-D.ietf-sidr-rpki-manifests]

    Interoperability considerations: None

    Published specification: This document

    Applications which use this media type: Any MIME-complaint transport

    Additional information:
      Magic number(s): None
      File extension(s): .mft
      Macintosh File Type Code(s):

    Person & email address to contact for further information:
      Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>

    Intended usage: COMMON

    Author/Change controller:
      Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>

7.2. application/rpki-roa

    MIME media type name: application

    MIME subtype name: rpki-roa

    Required parameters: None

    Optional parameters: None

    Encoding considerations: binary

    Security considerations:

       Carries a RPKI ROA [ID.ietf-sidr-roa-format]

    Interoperability considerations: None

    Published specification: This document

    Applications which use this media type: Any MIME-complaint transport

    Additional information:
      Magic number(s): None
      File extension(s): .roa
      Macintosh File Type Code(s):

    Person & email address to contact for further information:
      Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>

    Intended usage: COMMON

    Author/Change controller:
      Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>

Will also need to add a normative reference to the roa draft and to RFC 
2585.

spt

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 02:30:52 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Sean, you don't indicate whether you think a new version is needed before 
requesting publication.

--Sandy

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Sean Turner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think this draft needs media type registrations for .mft and .roa. .cer and 
> .crl are already in RFC 2585.  I think it needs media type registration 
> because every other draft I've ever seen that specifies a file extension does 
> so.  RFC 2585 specifies .cer and .crl and they're in a media type 
> registration.  Also, I got the impression that the repository draft  can be 
> done in other ways and a media type would support other profiles of the 
> repository.
>
> We'll be in the application/* tree so it's standard tree and the procedures 
> are:
>
> During IETF LC make sure to ask the AD to copy [email-masked]. Here's 
> some suggested text for Section 7:
>
> 7. IANA Considerations
>
> Will also need to add a normative reference to the roa draft and to RFC 2585.
>
> spt
> _______________________________________________
> sidr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr
>

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:28:50 -0400

The ietf-types folks get two weeks so running them in parallel with IETF 
LC would be best.  Just remind Stewart in the proto write-up to ask them 
for the review.

Note that I ran this by the Apps ADs.  One said this looked fine (this 
doesn't mean that the reviewer will find something else), with one 
exception: Make the security considerations point to the appropriate 
documents.  That is:

   Carries a RPKI Manifest.  See [I-D.ietf-sidr-rpki-manifests].

and

   Carries a RPKI ROA. See [ID.ietf-sidr-roa-format].

spt

On 3/14/11 2:30 AM, Sandra Murphy wrote:
> Sean, you don't indicate whether you think a new version is needed
> before requesting publication.
>
> --Sandy
>
>
>> file extension does so. RFC 2585 specifies .cer and .crl and they're
>> in a media type registration. Also, I got the impression that the
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288 outlines the registration
>> procedures. We'll be in the application/* tree so it's standard tree
>> and the procedures are:
>>