Subject: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-rfc6490-bis-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 22:10:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) Trust Anchor Locator
        Authors         : Geoff Huston
                          Samuel Weiler
                          George Michaelson
                          Stephen Kent
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sidr-rfc6490-bis-04.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2015-05-14

Abstract:
   This document defines a Trust Anchor Locator (TAL) for the Resource
   Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI).  This document obsoletes RFC6490 by
   adding support for multiple URIs in a TAL.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-rfc6490-bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidr-rfc6490-bis-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sidr-rfc6490-bis-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Richard Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 18:27:55 -0400

Hi Geoff, Sam, George, and Steve,

I spotted a bug in this draft:  Section 2.1 refers to Base64 encoding,
defined in RFC4648 Section 4.  RFC4648 Section 3.1 says:

   Implementations MUST NOT add line feeds to base-encoded data unless
   the specification referring to this document explicitly directs base
   encoders to add line feeds after a specific number of characters.

Section 2.1 doesn't say anything about adding newlines to the Base64
string, yet the example in Section 2.3 contains embedded newlines every
57 characters.

Rather than fix the example in Section 2.3 to conform to the current
Section 2.1, I think it would be better to permit newlines in the Base64
data:

      3)  a subjectPublicKeyInfo [RFC5280] in DER format [X.509],
          encoded in Base64 (see Section 4 of [RFC4648]).  To avoid
          long lines, a <CRLF> or <LF> line break MAY be inserted into
          the Base64 encoded string every 40 or more characters.

The choice of 40 is arbitrary; I just didn't want an implementation to
be ridiculous and add a newline after only one or a few characters.

I wouldn't mind changing it to "MUST be inserted every 40 to 76
characters" to make it possible to write a parser with fixed-length line
buffers.

(I also spotted a few typos, sent off-list.)

-Richard

On 2015-05-15 01:10, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> sidr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr
>

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 17:34:32 -0400

Richard,

Sorry to be late replying to your message, but I just returned from a 
vacation trip.

I think we can do one of two things to address the problem you correctly
identified:
     1- either say that the example in the doc has been formatted for
        the RFC, and that no LFs are permitted
     2- adopt your text to explicitly override the "no NL" rule in 4648.

Steve