Subject: Re: Filtering Infrastructure (was "Re: Who will write filtering scripts?")

From: "Jack De Winter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 21:15:07 -0500

>I'd go along with either approach.  Personally, I think having each rule in
>its own attribute is easier to manage, but it's not something I feel very
>strongly about.
>
>Here is what I think we need to get server-based filtering moving along:
>
>(1)  A very simple filter language.  Minimal functionality, easy to
>implement, with an extension mechanism.

given...

>(2)  A spec for how to store filters in ACAP.  If all of a user's filters
>are stored in one attribute, it seems kind of silly to have a whole dataset
>for it, but I don't really care that much.

depends... but can be done either way...

>(3)  A spec for how and when filters are to be executed, and what to do in
>case of errors, unrecognized elements, etc.  Also, how to notify users of
>the filter results (if such notification is desired).  Plus, how a delivery
>entity advertises support of filter extensions.  It seems to me that any
>unrecognized filter should result in default action (file in inbox).
>Simple mail messages could be used for notification.  An IMAP CAPABILITY
>keyword seems to make sense for advertising support of filtering (and
>filter extensions), but does tend to blur the lines between the protocols a
>bit.  But it seems the most logical place to start.

This I wonder about.  We may have to develop profiles that are used depending
on its applicability.  Personally, I think any filtering should be done by
the MTA, and I see little applicability in keying some filtering off of the
opening of a mailbox.

regards,
Jack
-------------------------------------------------
Jack De Winter - Wildbear Consulting, Inc.
(519) 576-3873		http://www.wildbear.on.ca/

Author of SLMail for 95 & NT (http://www.seattlelab.com/)

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:40:43 -0800

At 9:15 PM -0500 3/28/97, Jack De Winter wrote:

> Personally, I think any filtering should be done by

I agree.  FIltering should be part of "final delivery".