Subject: Sieve Extension I-Ds(not) becoming RFCs and IANA assignments (e.g. refuse, and older ones, like vacation(!), regex, imapflags.

From: "Matthew Elvey (FM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:08:27 -0700

Wow, things have been quiet on this list.
Anyone considering implementing draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt?
I just noticed draft-daboo-sieve-spamtest-01.txt became an RFC:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3685.html - good, because the draft had 
expired, and someone wants to reference it in another doc not as a 
work-in-progress.
I guess the Sieve homepage at cyrussoft is sorely out of date (I emailed 
the maintainer (sieve%cyrusoft.com <mailto:[email-masked]>) a while 
back and didn't hear back - see below.)
http://www.iana.org/assignments/sieve-extensions is presumably an 
up-to-date listing of SIEVE extensions that have reached RFC status.
RFC 3598 is the subaddress extension,
RFC 3431 is the relational test,

There aren't IANA assignments for the extensions vacation, regex, or 
imapflags.
Are their authors interested in progressing them to RFC status or 
getting IANA assignments?  If I don't hear back, I'll take this up.

Any comments before I email iana%iana.org with the RFC # for spamtest, 
and a reservation for "refuse"?

On 4/14/2004 9:41 PM, Matthew Elvey sent forth electrons to 
sieve%cyrusoft.com to convey:

> Hi.  I was wondering if you'd add a list of links to sieve 
> extensions.  None are officially beyond the I-D stage yet [wrong], but 
> they are often at the <multiple implementations exist> stage.  If 
> you'd like to, e.g. link to 
> http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/#implementations, I'll put up a page there.
> Hope you guys push Sieve along in the standardization process too, or 
> if you're not doing that, make changes to improve it, like the one I 
> suggest in my I-D for the 'refuse' extension.
>

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:08:27 -0700
From: "Matthew Elvey (FM)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Sieve Extension I-Ds(not)  becoming RFCs and IANA assignments (e.g. refuse, and older ones, like vacation(!), regex, imapflags.
Sender: [email-masked]

Wow, things have been quiet on this list.
Anyone considering implementing draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt?
I just noticed draft-daboo-sieve-spamtest-01.txt became an RFC:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3685.html - good, because the draft had 
expired, and someone wants to reference it in another doc not as a 
work-in-progress.
I guess the Sieve homepage at cyrussoft is sorely out of date (I emailed 
the maintainer (sieve%cyrusoft.com <mailto:[email-masked]>) a while 
back and didn't hear back - see below.)
http://www.iana.org/assignments/sieve-extensions is presumably an 
up-to-date listing of SIEVE extensions that have reached RFC status.
RFC 3598 is the subaddress extension,
RFC 3431 is the relational test,

There aren't IANA assignments for the extensions vacation, regex, or 
imapflags.
Are their authors interested in progressing them to RFC status or 
getting IANA assignments?  If I don't hear back, I'll take this up.

Any comments before I email iana%iana.org with the RFC # for spamtest, 
and a reservation for "refuse"?

On 4/14/2004 9:41 PM, Matthew Elvey sent forth electrons to 
sieve%cyrusoft.com to convey:

> Hi.  I was wondering if you'd add a list of links to sieve 
> extensions.  None are officially beyond the I-D stage yet [wrong], but 
> they are often at the <multiple implementations exist> stage.  If 
> you'd like to, e.g. link to 
> http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/#implementations, I'll put up a page there.
> Hope you guys push Sieve along in the standardization process too, or 
> if you're not doing that, make changes to improve it, like the one I 
> suggest in my I-D for the 'refuse' extension.
>

Subject: Out of Office AutoReply: hi
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:00:01 +0300
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42A04.6F8CD896
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="windows-1255"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am out of office on vacation between 4/23 and 4/30. I will do my best =
to answer your e-mail as soon as possible after my return to the office. =
For urgent issues I can be reached at +972-55-581118.=20

Regards,

Dan

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42A04.6F8CD896
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="windows-1255"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dwindows-1255">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
6.0.6487.1">
<TITLE>Out of Office AutoReply: hi</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am out of office on vacation between 4/23 and 4/30. =
I will do my best to answer your e-mail as soon as possible after my =
return to the office. For urgent issues I can be reached at =
+972-55-581118.<BR>
<BR>
Regards,<BR>
<BR>
Dan<BR>
</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C42A04.6F8CD896--

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:58:50 -0700
From: "Matthew Elvey (FM)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt
Sender: [email-masked]

Ok, 'refuse' is probably ready for test implementation, IMO. 
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
I would very much like to hear from folks who implement 'refuse'.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The SIEVE mail filtering language - refuse extension
	Author(s)	: M. Elvey, A. Melnikov
	Filename	: draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2004-4-5
	
With 'refuse', Sieve gains the ability to simply not accept an
   email during the SMTP transaction (instead of accepting it and then
   sending an MDN [MDN] back to the alleged sender using 'reject').
   A Joe-job is a spam run forged to appear as though it came from an
   innocent party, who is then generally flooded by the bounces, MDNs
   and messages with complaints.  With 'reject', MDNs [MDN] contribute
   to the flood of Joe-job spam to victims of Joe-jobs; SMTP level
   refusals usually don't.  So 'refuse' provides users the latter
   method to handle unwanted email.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt

<...> <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt>

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt>

-=-=-=-=

If there are no further changes suggested here, we'll let it pickle for a bit 
and then pursue further IESG designation (last call for RFC designation?).

(BTW, shouldn't Sieve itself be moving to "Proposed Standard" status?)