Subject: Vacation draft

From: Michael Haardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:36:29 +0200

I have two comments to the section security considerations:

Sending out an automated reply with "Re: " and the subject is dangerous.
Many mailing lists verify the mail address by sending a mail with a key
in the subject.  Simply replying to such a mail confirms you want to
subscribe to it.  If people use vacation, it is easy to subscribe them
to a spam list and prove that it *is* opt-in by keeping the confirmation
and throwing away the original faked subscription request.

Mail systems should be allowed to bypass the time if the database to
remember senders becomes too large.  I suggest to allow the implementation
to expire entries if the number of different senders becomes too big.
The draft could set a minimum database size. Say 100 or 1000 different
senders must be remembered, but implementations may store more.

As I noticed, the draft ist expired.  Any plans to bring it back?

Michael

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:02:32 -0400

Hi Michael,

> As I noticed, the draft ist expired.  Any plans to bring it back?

Unfortunately this document appears to be in a sorry state:

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=3116&rfc_flag=0>

We need to get this published. If Tim is unable to do the updates then we 
need to assign a new author and move it forward asap. I would be willing to 
do that if needs be.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo