Subject: RFC 3028/3658 (Sieve): SPAM NOTSPAM.

From: Lewis Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:35:30 +0100

Hi,

I've only just become aware of the Sieve RFC (3028) which looks very
impressive.  I quickly did some searching and found RFC 3685 (SPAMTEST
VIRUSTEST).  What I am wondering is if there is any possibility to
handle SPAM/NOTSPAM.  i.e. if a message has been incorrectly tagged as
spam by the MTA's filter or by invoking SPAMTEST or, if a spam has
passed through the filter.

I don't know exactly how this would work -- it might simply invoke the
spam checker and pipe the message in question to it.

Apologies if I've got the wrong place for asking this, or if this has
already been suggested and I've missed it (please let me know where!).

Thanks very much,

-Lewis Thompson.

-- 
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:[email-masked] | jabber:[email-masked] | url:www.lewiz.org |-

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:56:41 -0400

Hi Lewis,

> already been suggested and I've missed it (please let me know where!).

Can you explain in more detail exactly what it is you want to do?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Lewis Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:24:47 +0100

> Can you explain in more detail exactly what it is you want to do?

Sure, sorry for not making it clear first time around:

My MTA is running with SpamAssassin and an email gets falsely identified
as spam.  It gets delivered to a spam folder where I find it.  I want to
prevent it from happening again so I teach SpamAssassin it is ham and
remove the SpamAssassin modifications.  The IMAP command (?) that does
this would be (to make something up) NOTSPAM.

I'm not sure of the IMAP syntax but it might be called something like:
"NOTSPAM message-id".  The IMAP server then invokes SA and strips the
junk and re-learns as ham.

Also I would like to see SPAM, which is the opposite of NOTSPAM
(surprisingly).  If some junk mail gets through SA then I want to teach
SA that it is spam.  Maybe then it would be deleted or moved to a spam
folder (this would probably be done by the user, not the IMAP server).

Obviously in all these cases SpamAssassin could be replaced by any spam
filter.  The IMAP server would have a command that the message simply
gets piped through to do the learning/stripping of junk.

Hopefully that will make a bit more sense, even if it is a little
longwinded.  As I say, I don't think it fits in with SIEVE but it seems
somewhat related to RFC3685 (SPAMTEST and VIRUSTEST).

Thanks very much,

-Lewis Thompson.

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:43:38 -0400

Hi Lewis,

> somewhat related to RFC3685 (SPAMTEST and VIRUSTEST).

It seems to me what you are asking for is an IMAP extension that can be 
used to signal back to a anti-spam system which messages are spam and which 
are not. This would need to be done in a similar way to the SIEVE extension 
in that it should be as 'generic' as possible and not depend on the 
implementation of any anti-spam products.

If you want something like that you might want to post to the imap 
extensions WG mailing list and see if there is interest there.

<mailto:[email-masked]>

-- 
Cyrus Daboo