Subject: Re: sieve WG charter

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 09:58:51 -0400

Hi Philip,

--On June 30, 2005 5:59:02 PM -0700 Philip Guenther 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hmm, perhaps we can last call this thing just before IETF-63.
>

That would be great.

As a reminder to all, the document cut-off for the meeting is July 18th, 
9am EST.

Apologies from WG co-chair as I have been somewhat out-of-touch on SIEVE 
stuff this last few months. Will catch up in the next few days.

Things we need to do:

- Update milestones.
- Finish off last call and IESG submit of editheader and body drafts.
- Last call vacation (I think its ready to go).
- Last call 3028bis.
- Catch up on all other drafts etc.
- Agenda for IETF63.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: "Mark E. Mallett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:21:34 -0400

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 05:59:02PM -0700, Philip Guenther wrote:
> Mark E. Mallett <[email-masked]> writes:
> ...
> >OTOH, I'm probably being dumb again (feel free to agree), but what's the
> >meta-stuff?  i.e.  how has 3028bis come about, what's the charter for
> >its creation, is there a call for submissions of items, etc?
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/sieve-charter.html

Right.  Check.  I knew "dumb" would be the answer :-)

Thanks,
mm

---

From: Philip Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:43:15 -0700

...
>- Finish off last call and IESG submit of editheader and body drafts.

I believe draft-ietf-sieve-editheader-01.txt is ready to be submitted.
I-D nits catches a few whitespace and line length ticks but nothing
substantive.

'body' will need one more rev to line up with the base-spec revision on
charset conversion requirements.  Once it appears that that issue is
settled in 3028bis, I'll submit body-02.  That should then be ready to
submit to the IESG.

...
>- Last call 3028bis.

Expect a new rev early next week.

Changes from draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-02.txt
 1. Change "ASCII" to "US-ASCII" throughout
 2. Tweak section 2.7.2 to not require use of UTF-8 internally and
    to explicitly leave implementation-defined the handling of text
    that can't be converted to Unicode
 3. Add reference to RFC 2047
 4. Clarify that capability strings are case-sensitive
 5. Clarify that address, envelope, and header return false if no
    combination of arguments match
 6. Directly state that code that isn't reached may still be checked
    for errors.
 7. Invalid header name syntax is not an error
 8. Remove description of header unfolding that conflicts with
    [IMAIL]

On the issue of unknown envelope-part names, it sounded like the
consensus was to make them an error (...and encourage the Cyrus people
to whip up an 'envelope-auth' draft...), yes?

Philip Guenther

---

From: Alexandros Vellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:37:45 +0300

> to whip up an 'envelope-auth' draft...), yes?

I think we didn't reach a consensus yet. :)

However, I was hoping that we could just resolve this in 3028bis as
well, and not bother with a new envelope-auth draft at all.

I'll follow-up on that thread, though.

Alexandros

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:30:02 +0100

>to whip up an 'envelope-auth' draft...), yes?
I guess I can write a short draft on this, unless somebody else wants to 
do this.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:53:18 +0100

Philip Guenther wrote:

>	(1) Revise the base sieve specification, RFC 3028, with the
>	intention of moving it to draft standard. Substantive
>	additions or revisions to the base specification are out
>	of scope of this working group. However, the need to loosen
>	current restrictions on side effects of tests as well as
>	the need for a normative reference to the newly-defined
>	comparators registry may necessitate a recycle at proposed.
>
>[...]
>
>Similarly, changing section 2.7.2 to require support for 2047 should
>be considered out of scope as well.
>  
>
I think this change can be described as being consistent with the 
original Sieve's intent, so it should be in scope.

That would be great.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:44:21 +0100

Cyrus Daboo wrote:

> As a reminder to all, the document cut-off for the meeting is July 
> 18th, 9am EST.
>
> Apologies from WG co-chair as I have been somewhat out-of-touch on 
> SIEVE stuff this last few months. Will catch up in the next few days.
>
> Things we need to do:
>
> - Update milestones.

I think we should Last Call 3028bis before vacation. After that we 
should be ready to send Sieve "variables" to IESG.

> - Catch up on all other drafts etc.

Can I ask authors of documents to write a short paragraph describing the 
list of issues and/or state of the document (Philip has already done his 
bit). You can send this to the list or directly to me & Cyrus. Thanks!

Alexey