Subject: ":matches" issue

From: Andrei Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:54:00 +0300

How should the following test be evaluated when matched against a
From:user4@localdomain header ?

if header :matches "from"  "us?"

":matches" should behave like ":is" or like ":contains" ?

- --
Andrei DUMITRESCU
Software Test Engineer / AXIGEN
mailto: [email-masked]
Tel: +40-21-303 2080 Fax: +40-21-303 2081
http://www.axigen.com

- ------------------------------------------------
~ This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise
~ protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have
~ received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it
~ from your system; you should not copy the message or disclose its
~ contents to anyone.

---

From: Philip Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:44:47 -0700

>":matches" should behave like ":is" or like ":contains" ?

It should fail; :matches behaves like :is.  If behavior like :contains
is desired, the user should include a star at both ends of the pattern.

This was clarified in the 3028bis I-D in rev -01 or so, where the
description of :matches in section 2.7.1 starts:
   The ":matches" match type specifies a wildcard match using the
   characters "*" and "?"; the entire value must be matched.  <...>

Philip Guenther

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

> if header :matches "from"  "us?"

This test should fail.

> ":matches" should behave like ":is" or like ":contains" ?

:is. You can always add leading and trailing *'s if you want it to work like
:contains. There's even an example showing this in RFC 3028. (Removing implicit
leading and trailing *'s would be a lot harder, which is why it needs to work
this way...)

				Ned