Subject: Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-sieve-3431bis-01.txt (relational test)

From: Michael Haardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:50:15 +0200

> >Section 4.1:
> >
> >   The VALUE match type may be used with any comparator which returns
> >   sort information.
> >
> >And which comparator of the base language does that? All, I guess,
> >but I miss reading that.
> >
> "relational" draft is not the place for listing such comparators. There 
> is a separate document (currently draft-newman-i18n-comparator-05.txt) 
> that defines the comparator registry.

I guess you are right that duplicating information is not good, but the
Sieve base language contains so few comparators, that it would be nice
to state that those return sort information.

After all, "i;ascii-numeric" is described to allow at least 32 bit
integers and not being capable to compare signed numbers.  The latter
at least is duplicated information, yet it is very helpful.

Michael

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:40:43 +0100

>to state that those return sort information.
Maybe you are asking for a reference to the comparator registry after 
the quoted sentence?

When I edit a document I usually try to add lots of examples to address 
issues like yours.

>at least is duplicated information, yet it is very helpful.
Yes, the latter is important because it can be one of the unexpected 
things when using this comparator.

On a somewhat related note: do people think we need a comparator that 
can handle negative numbers?

---

From: Michael Haardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:35:04 +0200

> Maybe you are asking for a reference to the comparator registry after 

Probably.

> When I edit a document I usually try to add lots of examples to address 

Examples are very good, but what I love most is a short summary of the
important points (in this case, that all comparators of the base language
do return sort information), a reference where to read it in detail AND
examples. :-)

> can handle negative numbers?

At first, I thought it was odd not to have one, but as a matter of fact,
I never missed it.

Michael

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:48:34 +0100

Michael Haardt wrote:

>do return sort information),
>
So basically you asking for a note that both "i;octet" and 
"en;ascii-casemap" support sorting?

> a reference where to read it in detail AND
>examples. :-)
>  
>

---

From: Michael Haardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:05:28 +0200

> "en;ascii-casemap" support sorting?

Yes, and "i;ascii-numeric", please.  It is not much duplicated information
and it save from having to look it up in the comparator draft to be
100% sure.

Michael

---

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:11:54 +0200

> and it save from having to look it up in the comparator draft to be

you MUST look it up in the comparator draft to be 100% sure, since
"relational" isn't normative for this behaviour.  such an added note is
only good enough to be 99% sure.

(I don't like duplication, but I don't have any strong opinion on this
particular addition.)
-- 
Kjetil T.