Subject: Port 2000

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:19:10 +0200

IANA registration is pending, or so the latest draft says. Well, what'll 
the draft say if IANA won't hand out port 2000?

I see three possibilities:

1. Advise servers to listen to a standard port, and "MAY also listen to 
2000 for legacy compatibility". Advise servers to try the standard 
port, then 2000?

2. Advise servers to listen to a standard port, site admins to add a SRV 
record, and client to look for the SRV record and fall back to port 
2000 if there is none?

3. Mention only the IANA-assigned port, not 2000, and pretend to ignore 
that all servers listen to port 2000 too, and every client falls back 
to 2000?

Arnt

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 14:28:14 +0100

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> IANA registration is pending, or so the latest draft says. Well, 
> what'll the draft say if IANA won't hand out port 2000?

I assume you are talking about Manage Sieve protocol.

> 1. Advise servers to listen to a standard port, and "MAY also listen 
> to 2000 for legacy compatibility". Advise servers to try the standard 
> port, then 2000?
>
> 2. Advise servers to listen to a standard port, site admins to add a 
> SRV record, and client to look for the SRV record and fall back to 
> port 2000 if there is none?
>
> 3. Mention only the IANA-assigned port, not 2000, and pretend to 
> ignore that all servers listen to port 2000 too, and every client 
> falls back to 2000?

Either 1 or 2 would work for me.

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 21:13:17 -0400

#3.

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> 2000 for legacy compatibility". Advise servers to try the standard port,
> then 2000?
> 
> record, and client to look for the SRV record and fall back to port 2000
> if there is none?
> 
> that all servers listen to port 2000 too, and every client falls back to
> 2000?