Subject: I-D Action:draft-freed-sieve-notary-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Sieve Email Filtering: Delivery Status Notifications Extension
	Author(s)       : N. Freed
	Filename        : draft-freed-sieve-notary-03.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2009-01-15

This document describes the "envelope-dsn" and "redirect-dsn"
extensions to the Sieve email filtering language.  The "envelope-dsn"
extension provides access to additional envelope information provided
by the delivery status notification extension to SMTP defined in RFC
3461.  The "redirect-dsn" extension extends Sieve's redirect action
to provide control over delivery status notification parameters.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-sieve-notary-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Aaron Stone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 22:15:35 -0000

Hi Ned, a really brief review below...

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-sieve-notary-03.txt

In Section 4.0:

   The "relational" extension [RFC5231] adds a match type called
   ":count".  The count of an envelope test of with an envelope-part of
                                           ^^^^

Leftover word "of".

In Section 4.1 I do not understand the examples :-(

In Section 5.0:

   Usage:   redirect [NOTIFY] [RET] <address: string>

It seems awkward to me to mix the formal EBNF with the more casual usage
description. This would be better IMHO:

   Usage:   redirect [:notify "value"] [:ret "FULL"|"HDRS"]
                <address: string>

(Unless other extensions are already doing inline EBNF, in which case
consistency says keep it that way, but I personally don't prefer it.)

Also Section 5.0:

   These parameters are only available when the delivery status
   notification (DSN) ESMTP extension is available; they are simply
   ignored and MUST NOT cause an error if the DSN extension is
   unavailable.

Easier to understand like this:

   These parameters are only available when the delivery status
   notification (DSN) ESMTP extension is available. When the DSN
   extension is not available, the parameters MUST be ignored and
   MUST NOT cause an error.

Section 5.1:

   One possible use of :notify on redirect is to ccmbine the copy
                                                 ^^^
Misspell of "combine".

Cheers!
Aaron

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:23:52 -0800 (PST)

> Hi Ned, a really brief review below...

Thanks for taking the time to do it.

> Leftover word "of".

Fixed.

> In Section 4.1 I do not understand the examples :-(

Not sure what to say to that ... I tried some wordsmithing in hopes of making
things clearer, but really, I don't think these are all that complex or obscure
as long as you understand the DSN extension, which seems like a prerequisite
here.

> consistency says keep it that way, but I personally don't prefer it.)

I'm not sure what the state of play is but this has already confused at least
one reader I know of. So I'm going to try it your way.

>    extension is not available, the parameters MUST be ignored and

Changed.

>    One possible use of :notify on redirect is to ccmbine the copy

Fixed.

				Ned