Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sieve Email Filtering: Ihave Extension' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:26:41 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Sieve Email Filtering: Ihave Extension '
   <draft-freed-sieve-ihave-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lisa Dusseault and Chris Newman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-sieve-ihave-04.txt

Technical Summary

This document describes the "ihave" extension to the Sieve email
filtering language.  The "ihave" extension provides a means to write
scripts that can take advantage of optional Sieve features but can
still run when those optional features are not available.  The
extension also defines a new error control command intended to be
used to report situations where no combination of available
extensions satisfies the needs of the script.

Working Group Summary

There were some discussions about whether the ihave test should only 
enable an extension for the if block it is used in, or whether it 
should enable the extension till the end of the script. The latter 
was chosen due to perceived ease of implementability and this represents 
rough consensus of the WG.

Document Quality

There is at least 1 server implementations of this document. At least 1
more server vendor is implementing it and at least a 3 more are interested
in implementing it.

At least 4 people have reviewed the document. Majority of posted comments
were addressed in the latest revision.

Personnel

Alexey Melnikov is the Document Shepherd.  Lisa Dusseault is the
Sponsoring AD.