Subject: [sieve] Sieve variables and editheader

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 08:18:59 -0500

All,

I'm in the process of implementing editheader in Cyrus IMAP and I'm 
wondering if variables are/should be allowed in header field names 
and/or values.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:23:13 +0000

Hi Ken,

> On 14 Jan 2017, at 13:18, Ken Murchison <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> All,
> 
> I'm in the process of implementing editheader in Cyrus IMAP and I'm wondering if variables are/should be allowed in header field names and/or values.

Yes, why not?

Best Regards,
Alexey

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 12:48:05 -0500

No reason against it, just asking.

Should a redirect action use the original headers or the edited? I'm 
assuming that reject and vacation use the original headers.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 11:41:04 -0800 (PST)

> Should a redirect action use the original headers or the edited? 

RFC 5293 section 7 second paragraph says it uses the modified header. The
example at the end of section 4 won't work if the original header is
used.

> I'm assuming that reject and vacation use the original headers.

Reject generates a DSN or MDN; the first paragraph of section 7 clearly
states that the original header is used in such cases.

A lot of vacation implementations don't include the original message
in the response; in such cases the question is moot.

For those implementations that do include the original message, the same
paragraph also covers "similar disposition messages"; I'd say this sort of
vacation response falls into that category.

				Ned