Subject: Re: M3UA and SUA: Point Code formats

From: Alex Audu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:58:49 -0600 (CST)

Joyce,

Isn't there a payload protocol identified included in each SCTP data chunk to
indicate the protocol SCTP is carrying at any particular instance? I know for
IUA, the ID is "1" and for M3UA, it is "3" and for M2UA, it is "0x10"

Regards,
Alex.

====================================================================

Hi Greg & Brian,

It would be good if M3UA and SUA were AS monitorable as SS7 (not more).
SS7 only uses one protocol stack on each link, so a network monitor can
'know' what formats to use. However, (if I understand correctly) in M3UA
and SUA it is possible to merge a number of SS7 links, using different
protocols, onto one SCTP association, hence the need for a Network
Appearance parameter since each message could be different.

Could there ever be a scenario in which a single message could contain
different point code formats, whether in Routing Label, Affected PCs or
Source/Destination addresses? If not, then I guess my problem does
reduce to knowing how to interpret the Network Appearance parameter.

By the by, it is not necessary to use the same PC type encoding as TALI.
By all means, remove the ANSI Cluster PC and add a 16-bit Point Code.

Cheers,

Joyce
------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Joyce Archibald <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:40:03 +0000

Hi Alex,

The SCTP Payload Protocol Identifier defines the protocol carried by
SCTP, that is the adaption layer. The protocols I was refering to are
those carried by the adaption layer, that is the SS7 protocol stack.

Regards,
Joyce