Subject: M2UA: Parameter usage

From: Joyce Archibald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 08:36:38 +0000

Hi All,

I am sending these comments again, in the hope that they reach the list
this time!

I have some queries/suggestions concerning the format of some messages.

1. The TTC Data Message (section 3.3.1.2)

   The TTC Protocol Data parameter (tag = 0xf) has been included, in
order to support the Japanese TTC variant of the Protocol Data Unit.
Fine.

   I don't see why it is necessary to add the message type 'TTC Data',
since the Data message could be defined to contain either parameter.
(i.e. a Mandatory Choice, to use ASN.1 terms)

   The Data Retrieval Indication and Data Retrieval Indication Complete
messages, presumably can also carry either Protocol Data or TTC Protocol
Data.

   May I suggest that tags should be used to identify the parameter and
therefore should not change depending on which message they are in.

   Thus the Data, Data Retrieval Indication and Data Retrieval
Indication Complete messages could each contain, either Protocol Data
(tag = 0xe) or TTC Protocol Data (tag = 0xf), but not both.

   The 'TTC Data' message and 'PDU from retransmit queue' parameter
would not be required.

   Similarly the tag 0x10 should identify the State parameter regardless
of whether it appears in the State Request or State Confirm message. The
Result field in the State Confirm message could be a separate parameter,
possibly using tag 0x16.

2. The Congestion Indication message (section 3.3.1.7)

   The spec states that there are 2 parameters:
         Congestion Status (Mandatory)
         Discard Status    (Optional)

   However, only the Congestion Status has a tag and length. 

3. The Retrieval (Request, Confirm) messages (section 3.3.1.8)

   The spec does not state whether the parameters are Mandatory or
Optional, although the text implies both are Mandatory. Also the
Sequence number field is used as a result indicator in certain messages.
This is messy.

May I suggest the following definitions:

   3.3.1.1 Data

   The Data message MUST contain ONE of the following parameters:

        Protocol Data     (Optional)
        TTC Protocol Data (Optional)

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x0e)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        Protocol Data                          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x0f)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                       TTC Protocol Data                       |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   3.3.1.5 State Confirm

   The State Confirm message contains the following parameters:

        State  (Mandatory)
        Result (Mandatory)

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x10)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                             State                             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x16)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                            Result                             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Values as already defined.

   3.3.1.7 Congestion Indication

   The Congestion Indication message contains the following parameters:

         Congestion Status (Mandatory)
         Discard Status    (Optional)
    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x15)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                      Congestion Status                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x14)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                       Discard Status                          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Values as already defined.

   3.3.1.8.1 Retrieval Request

   The Retrieval Request message contains the following parameters:

        Action           (Mandatory)
        Sequence Number   (Optional)

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x12)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                            Action                             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x13)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        Sequence Number                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Values as already defined, except that the Sequence number should
   only be present if Action is ACTION_RTRV_MSGS.

   3.3.1.8.2 Retrieval Confirm

   The Retrieval Confirm message contains the following parameters:

        Action           (Mandatory)
        Sequence Number   (Optional)
        Result            (Optional)

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x12)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                            Action                             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x13)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        Sequence Number                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x16)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                            Result                             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Values as defined in sections 3.3.1.8.1 and 3.3.1.5

   3.3.1.9 Retrieval Indication

   The Retrieval Indication message MUST contain ONE of the
   following parameters:

        Protocol Data     (Optional)
        TTC Protocol Data (Optional)

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x0e)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        Protocol Data                          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |          Tag (0x0f)           |            Length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                       TTC Protocol Data                       |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Regards,

Joyce

---

From: Joyce Archibald <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 08:58:35 +0000

Hi Brian,

From M2UA-07, it appears that in the Retrieval Indication message the
Protocol Data Unit is a Mandatory parameter. Assuming this to be the
case, "MUST contain ONE" means one or the other but not both.

Regards,
Joyce

"Brian F. G. Bidulock" wrote:
> 
> Joyce,
> 
> Why MUST here?
> 
> Do you mean must contain one or the other or neither?
> 
> --Brian
> 
> Joyce Archibald wrote:                 (Thu, 01 Mar 2001 08:36:38)
> --X--[snip]
> >
> --X--[snip]
> --
> Brian F. G. Bidulock
> [email-masked]
> http://www.openss7.org/