Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sigtran-sctp-mib-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:54:54 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Signaling Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Stream Control Transmission Protocol Management 
                          Information Base using SMIv2
	Author(s)	: J. Pastor, M. Belinchon
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sigtran-sctp-mib-03.txt
	Pages		: 37
	Date		: 01-Mar-01
	
The Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) is a reliable
transport protocol operating on top of a connectionless packet
network such as IP, designed to transport PSTN signaling messages
over the connectionless packet network, but is capable of broader
applications.
This memo defines the Management Information Base (MIB) module which
describes the minimum amount of objects needed to manage the
implementation of the SCTP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sigtran-sctp-mib-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sigtran-sctp-mib-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sigtran-sctp-mib-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Gavin Shearer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:50:45 GMT

This latest draft has moved the ...HeartBeatFlag variable from the
remote-address table to the association table. As this variable should
be per remote address, it should remain in the remote-address table.

I have some more comments, which were also in the previous draft.

The text of the HeartBeatFlag has opposite values to
the syntax:

SYNTAX         INTEGER {
		  active(0),
		  inactive(1)
	      }

"The optional Heartbeat associated to one destination transport address
could be active or not (value equal to 1 or 0, respectively). 

Other suggestions:

Rename: sctpStatOutOfOrderSentChunks, and sctpStatOutOfOrderRecChunks
To: sctpStatUnorderedSentChunks, and sctpStatUnorderedRecChunks

	as the term used in the RFCs is "Unordered" rather than
	"OutofOrder"

Can I check why sctpCurrEstab was changed in an earlier draft to
Counter32 from Gauge32? I thought that variables which can go up
or down should be Gauges rather than Counters.

Add some "esses" to the end of counter variables, as that is the normal
convention and makes the document more consistent. i.e. they become:
	sctpActiveEstabs, sctpPassiveEstabs, sctpAborteds,
	sctpStatOutofBlues, sctpAssocT1expireds, sctpAssocT2expireds

Rename: sctpAssocChecksumErrorCounter to sctpAssocChecksumErrors,
and sctpAssocRemAddressRetransCount to sctpAssocRemAddressRetrans
for consistency.

For sctpStatRecChunks, it says: "(no retransmissions included)".
As we are the receiving side, we do not know if a packet is
a retransmission. Should it not say instead, "(no duplicates included)."

Typos: 

3.1.1.2.2: an statistic -> a statistic
3.1.2.1: a expanded table -> an expanded table
	sctpRemAddressTable -> sctpAssocRemAddressTable
3.2.1: Therefore following groups -> Therefore the following groups

MIB:
sctpActiveEstab: ESTABLISH -> ESTABLISHED
sctpShutdowns: CLOSE -> CLOSED
sctpAssocMaxRetr: can be able to change it -> can change it by
sctpAssocRemAddressRTO: Retransmision -> Retransmission

	Gavin

-- 
Gavin Shearer <[email-masked]>, Spider Software, 0131 475 7017