Subject: [Sigtran] informal meeting notes

From: "Ong, Lyndon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:42:04 -0800

Hi Folks,

Hope all of the US list members are enjoying the Thanksgiving Holiday!

We did have an informal discussion at the Atlanta IETF meeting.  There were
approx.
a dozen people attending, and the following was discussed:

Everyone agreed that the first priority was completing the security
framework, to
remove the obstacle from finishing the other adaptation layers.  
NOTE: Our A-D heartily endorses this.

Beyond that, existing work includes completing the M2PA adaptation layer and
the Implementor's
Guides, plus any further MIBs.

A question came up as to the path forward on the Implementor's Guides.  My 
assumption is that these become supplementary RFCs to the associated 
adaptation layer RFC, unless it is felt that there is a need to rewrite the
original
RFC or we decide to reissue it when it goes from Proposed Standard to Draft
Standard.

It was generally agreed that it is desirable to get the IGs 
completed soon, if possible before the next meeting.  Again, 
however, the security work must be completed before these 
will be allowed to move forward in the IESG.

There was a proposal for a new adaptation layer, a variant of IUA for
GR303.  GR303 is a Telcordia specification that is used between remote
digital terminals and the central office in telephony networks.  The 
application would be if either the RDT or the central office becomes
IP-based and its counterpart is not.  There appeared to be support for
this, especially as the enhancements to IUA were very limited.

There was also discussion of a TUA (TCAP User Adaptation), as 3GPP II will
use
the high level applications (IS.41 and MAP) for mobility management but
will eliminate most of the SS7 functions.  This is kind of a gray area as
it becomes more and more IP and less and less SS7.  We need to
have further discussion on this and the level of interest.

Finally, there was a fair amount of interest in completing the definition of
how to use
M3UA between IPSPs or between SGs as this is an open area that we deferred
from
the original M3UA specification.

Generally I think all of the above can be accomplished within our
charter except possibly for the TUA, which is a fairly different adaptation
layer.  It's possible that this could be better done outside of the WG.
The proposed GR303 UA is also new, but looks like a pretty minor enhancement

to the existing IUA.  Scott, our A-D, generally concurs except with some
question on the nature of the IPSP-IPSP extensions required, and also
a reminder that security will need to be completed before anything else.

Cheers,

L. Ong

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran