Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA - ASP Inactive

From: "Wung, Joseph" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:37:28 -0500

The M3UA RFC stated, 

"In this [ASP-INACTIVE] state the ASP SHOULD NOT be sent any 
DATA or SSNM messages for the AS for which the ASP is inactive."

Does anyone have problems with this statement like I do?  I agree
that the ASP should not be sent with DATA when in this state.
But, I don't see reasons why SSNM should also be prohibited from
being sent to the ASP.  In fact, the ASP in this state would like to know
what has happened in the SS7 network and then update its routing
information accordingly before turning on user traffic very much like 
MTP restart does.

I would like to see "SSNM" being taken out from the quote.
Any objection?

Joe 

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:20:51 -0700

Joseph,,

Wung, Joseph wrote:                      (Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:37:28)
> information accordingly before turning on user traffic very much like 

The proper approach for a restart procedure is for the ASP to
send a DAUD for the AS to update its routing tables, if the ASP
has not already obtained that data from its peers in the AS by
other means (i.e, ASP-ASP communication).  It is a waste
(and possibly a danger) for the SG to send SNMM for all inactive
AS when the AS has no indicated a need for the information.
This was the concensus on the matter captured in the RFC.

> I would like to see "SSNM" being taken out from the quote.

Strong objection.  It was added because the DAUD procedure exists
for a restarting AS to use if it needs it.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/