Subject: Re: [Sigtran] M2PA draft 7 question -- alignment conclusion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:25:35 -0500

Hello Brian,

This thread has gotten too long. Let's try and conclude it with
a summary of the recommended changes to the M2PA draft.
The intent is to match Q.703.

Regards,

Jeff

----------
Figure 7 is updated to show a transition from INITIAL_ALIGNMENT
to PROVING upon reception of either a Link Status Alignment or
Link Status Proving Normal or Link Status Proving Emergency
message. (Q.703 figure 4, figure 9 sheet 2)

----------
OLD TEXT 4.1.3
After the association is established, M2PA SHALL send a Link Status
Out of Service message to its peer.

NEW TEXT 4.1.3
After the association is established, M2PA SHALL send a Link Status
Out of Service message to its peer and, prior to receiving a Start
Request from MTP3, MAY periodically send Link Status Out of
Service messages. During the Out of Service State M2PA SHOULD
respond to received messages other than Link Status Out of Service
by sending Link Status Out of Service.

----------
OLD TEXT 4.1.3
M2PA stops timer T2 when it has received the Link Status Alignment
message from its peer.

NEW TEXT 4.1.3
M2PA stops timer T2 when it has received a Link Status Alignment
message or Link Status Proving Normal or Link Status Emergency
message from its peer.

----------
OLD TEXT 4.1.3
Note: Between the time M2PA sends Link Status Alignment to its peer
and receives Link Status Alignment from its peer, M2PA may receive
Link Status Out of Service from its peer. This message is
ignored. After receiving Link Status Alignment from the peer, receipt
of a Link Status Out of Service message causes M2PA to send Out of
Service to MTP3 and return to the Out of Service state.

NEW TEXT 4.1.3
Note: Between the time M2PA sends Link Status Alignment to its peer
and receives either Link Status Alignment or Link Status Proving
Normal or Link Status Proving Emergency from its peer, M2PA may
receive Link Status Out of Service from its peer. This message is
ignored. After receiving Link Status Alignment or Link Status
Proving Normal or Link Status Proving Emergency from its peer,
receipt of a Link Status Out of Service message causes M2PA to
send Out of Service to MTP3 and return to the Out of Service state.

----------
OLD TEXT 4.1.3

When M2PA has both sent and received the Link Status Alignment
message, it has completed alignment.  M2PA starts the aligned timer
T3 and moves to the proving state.

M2PA stops timer T3 when it receives a Proving Normal or Proving
Emergency message and starts proving period timer T4.

NEW TEXT 4.1.3

When M2PA has sent Link Status Alignment and received either a Link
Status Alignment or a Link Status Proving Normal or a Link Status
Proving Emergency message, it has completed alignment. M2PA starts
the aligned timer T3 and moves to the proving state. Note that
timer T3 is started even if reception of a proving message caused
the transition to the proving state.

M2PA stops timer T3 when it receives a Link Status Proving Normal
or Link Status Proving Emergency message and starts proving period
timer T4.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:46:39 -0700

jeffrey.craig,

There is the requirement that M2PA send repeated PROVING-NORMAL or
PROVING-EMERGENCY messages while running T3 for this to work.

--brian

[email-masked] wrote:                                             (Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:25:35)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: Tom George <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:35:05 -0600

Jeff,

If M2PA sends LS Alignment and receives a LS Proving, I don't see the
point in starting T3. Since T3 is supposed to make sure that the other
side sends a LS Proving, why not just stop T2, skip T3, and begin
Proving?

tomG.

[email-masked] wrote:
  [...]
  [...]

-- 
* Tom George       PB7-24001 (near B-21)      [email-masked]  *
* 972-519-3168   Intranet:  http://www.ssd.usa.alcatel.com/~tgeorge/  *
* Alcatel;  3400 West Plano Pkwy,  MS PB7-SWPRO;  Plano, Texas 75075  *
* I actively disclaim speaking for Alcatel USA, Inc. I do not purport *
* to advertise or represent its position,  operations, or activities. *
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:03:54 -0700

Tom,

Tom George wrote:                                                                      (Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:35:05)
> side sends a LS Proving, why not just stop T2, skip T3, and begin

'cause that's what Q.703 SDLs do.  They treat the first SIN/SIE as
though it was an SIO, starts T3 and still require the next SIN/SIE
before stopping T3.

--brian