Subject: [Sigtran] Re: M2PA draft "7b"

From: Tom George <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:42:54 -0500

Jeff,

A lot of the conversations on the list were of the form: 
"M2PA does X, but Q.703 does Y. M2PA should do Y, too."
IMHO that is the kind of thing that should not be in the draft.

Please give me a little more detail about your issues in 4.1.2 and
4.1.3. Do you mean that instead of requiring LS Ready, it should say
send LS Ready or LS PO as in MTP2?

I have not made any effort to make the draft versions
backward-compatible. My inclination would be to make the sequence
numbers like MTP2, unless there is reason not to. 

tomG.

Jeff Craig asked off-list:
> 
> Hello Tom,
> 
> I am okay with this new direction for the M2PA draft, as long as the
> content of the many, many mailing list discussions is reflected in it.
> I have not reviewed the new draft thoroughly, but already I see an
> issue with the last paragraph of 4.1.2 and with 4.1.3 (either LSR or LSPO
> are sent at the end of proving, not both).
> 
> In addition, on the issue of the initial FSN/BSN, I think this is one
> area M2PA should continue to be different than MTP2. I see no
> point in making all current M2PA implementations incompatible with
> the new draft by changing this simply to match Q.703. Whether the
> initial FSN is 1 or 0 does not matter from a protocol standpoint --  as
> long as both sides use the same starting point. So what if M2PA starts
> with FSN=1, unlike MTP2 which starts with 0. No problem, just mention
> the difference in the M2PA draft.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Jeff
  [...]

-- 
* Tom George       PB7-24001 (near B-21)      [email-masked]  *
* 972-519-3168   Intranet:  http://www.ssd.usa.alcatel.com/~tgeorge/  *
* Alcatel;  3400 West Plano Pkwy,  MS PB7-SWPRO;  Plano, Texas 75075  *
* I actively disclaim speaking for Alcatel USA, Inc. I do not purport *
* to advertise or represent its position,  operations, or activities. *
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran