Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA-v02 Last Call Comment: NA in RK

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 19:10:38 -0600

It was never the intention to permit mutlple Routing Context (RK, AS)
to span multiple Network Appearances.  The questionable passage is:

|3.6.1 Registration Request (REG REQ)
|
|   ...
|
|   Network Appearance:
|
|      The optional Network Appearance parameter field identifies the SS7
|      network context for the Routing Key, and has the same format as in
|      the DATA message (See Section 3.3.1) with the exception that it
|      does not have to be the first parameter in the message.  The
|      absence of the Network Appearance parameter in the Routing Key
|      indicates the use of any Network Appearance value.  Its format is:
|
|       0                   1                   2                   3
|       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
|      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|      |         Tag = 0x0200          |         Length = 8            |
|      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|      |                     Network Appearance                        |
|      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

If the NA is not specified and the RK applies to all NA, then it MUST be
the only RK registered per association: that is, RC is implied and DATA
and SSNM messages are decriminated on NA rather than RC.

Where NA is not specified and there is only one NA, then NA is implied.

We were all in agreement with this: the passage above just doesn't
capture it.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran