Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA-v02 Last Call Comment: Contiguous routing keys.

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:12:53 -0600

Having removed statements to non-contiguous ranges of CIC values, it is no
longer necessary to mention that routing keys need not be contiguous.  All
described routing keys in the document now happen to be contiguous.  The
offending passage is:

1.4.2.2 Routing Key Limitations

   Routing Keys SHOULD be unique in the sense that each received SS7
   signalling message SHOULD have a full or partial match to a single
   routing result. It is not necessary for the parameter range values
   within a particular Routing Key to be contiguous.

Please remove the last sentence (it previously applied to the CIC sentence
that followed in the RFC).

This brings up another point.  There was a fair amount of confusion for
those reading the RFC to understand what was meant by "parial match".
The first sentence has problems too.

The intention here was that normal routing keys not overlap.  That any
message result in a single Application Server (AS).  Also there is the
concept of the default AS which is the single AS that results if there is
no other AS to which the message belongs.  This should be clarified.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran