Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA-v02 Last Call Comment: Deleted ASP Active OOTB behavior.

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 02:39:04 -0600

Response to OOTB ASP Active messages was removed from the draft.  The deleted
passage from the RFC is:

<  In the case where an "out-of-the-blue" ASP Active message is received
<  (i.e., the ASP has not registered with the SG or the SG has no static
<  configuration data for the ASP), the message MAY be silently
<  discarded.

Please add this back into the draft in section 4.3.4.3 as follows:

>  - If the RC parameter is included in the ASP Active message and the
>    ASP Active message is considered "out-of-the-blue" (i.e, the ASP
>    has not registered with the SG or the SG has no static configuration
>    data for the ASP), the message MAY be silently discarded.

This passage addressed the security of the protocol and keeps an ASP from
"probing" the RC configuration of an SGP.  It must be retained.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran