Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA-v02 Last Call Comment: Pointless change in error message.

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 02:32:53 -0600

A pointless change in error message sent was introduced into the draft.  The
offending passages are:

|3.8.1  Error
|
|   ...
|
|   The "Invalid Routing Context" error is sent if a message, other than
|   ASP-Active, is received from a peer with an invalid Routing Context
|   value. The invalid Routing Context(s) MUST be included in the Error
|   message.
|
|   The "No Configured AS for ASP" error is sent if a message is received
|   from a peer without a Routing Context parameter and it is not known
|   by configuration data which Application Servers are referenced.
|   This error is also sent when an ASP-Active message is received with
|   an unconfigured RC and the invalid Routing Context(s) MUST be then
|   included in the Error message.

and

|4.3.4.3 ASP Active Procedures
|
|   ...
|
|   - If the RC parameter is included in the ASP Active message and a
|     corresponding RK has not been previously defined (by either static
|     configuration or dynamic registration), the peer MUST respond with
|     an ERROR message with Error Code = "No configured AS for ASP".

A change to the error message returned in response to an invalid routing
context serves no purpose.  Please put section 3.8.1 back to:

>  The "Invalid Routing Context" error is sent if a message is received
>  from a peer with an invalid (unconfigured) Routing Context value.
>  For this error, the invalid Routing Context(s) MUST be included in
>  the Error message.
>
>  The "No Configured AS for ASP" error is sent if a message is received
>  from a peer without a Routing Context parameter and it is not known
>  by configuration data which Application Servers are referenced.

and change the offending passage in 4.3.4.3 to:

>   - If the RC parameter is included in the ASP Active message and a
>     corresponding RK has not been previously defined (by either static
>     configuration or dynamic registration), the peer MUST respond with
>     an ERROR message with Error Code = "Invalid Routing Context".

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran