Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA-v02 Last Call Comment: Parameter ordering.

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:52:22 -0600

We have the following two statements:

|3.2 Variable Length Parameter Format
|
|   ...
|
|   Where more than one parameter is included in a message, the
|   parameters may be in any order, except where explicitly mandated.  A
|   receiver SHOULD accept the parameters in any order.

and

|3.3.1 Payload Data Message (DATA)
|
|   ...
|
|   Network Appearance: 32-bits (unsigned integer)
|
|      ...
|
|      Where the optional Network Appearance parameter is present, it
|      MUST be the first parameter in the message as it defines the
|      format of the Protocol Data field.

It appears that if the receiver SHOULD accept the parameters in any
order that the Network Appearance could be placed anywhere in the DATA
message.  Even for the stated reason, the NA paraemeter need only be
placed ahead of the Protocol Data parameter.  The Routing Context and
Correlation Id parameters could most certainly be placed ahead of the
Network Appearance.

Also, the Network Appearance paraemter is not optional, it is conditional.

Please change the latter passage to:

       Where the conditional Network Appearance parameter is present, it
       SHOULD be placed ahead of the Protocol Data parameter in the
       message as it defines the format of the value of the Protocol
       Data field.

or strike it altogether.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:39:05 -0400

IMHO, Because RC can serve the same purpose and is mandatory, it betterhas
to be the first parameter, if there is such a need really -AFAIR, this topic
came up briefly some time ago and the tendency was to remove this
passage(?)-.

      Tolga

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Brian F. G. Bidulock
> Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 7:52 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA-v02 Last Call Comment: Parameter ordering.
>
>