Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA-v02 Last Call Comments: ASP Active Procedures no RC.

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 01:42:40 -0600

Text changed in the draft introduces a contradiction.  The offending text is:

|4.3.4.3 ASP Active Procedures
|
|   Anytime after the ASP has received an ASP Up Ack message from the SGP
|   or IPSP, the ASP MAY send an ASP Active message to the SGP indicating
|   that the ASP is ready to start processing traffic.  This action MAY
|   be initiated at the ASP by an M-ASP_ACTIVE request primitive from
|   Layer Management or MAY be initiated automatically by an M3UA
|   management function.  In the case where an ASP wishes to process the
|   traffic for more than one Application Server across a common SCTP
|   association, the ASP Active message(s) SHOULD contain a list of one
|   or more Routing Contexts to indicate for which Application Servers
|   the ASP Active message applies. It is not necessary for the ASP to
|   include all Routing Contexts of interest in a single ASP Active
|   message, thus requesting to become active in all Routing Contexts at
|   the same time.  Multiple ASP Active messages MAY be used to activate
|   within the Application Servers independently, or in sets.
|
|   In the case where an ASP Active message does not contain a Routing
|   Context parameter, the receiver must know, via configuration data,
|   which Application Server(s) the ASP is a member and move the ASP to
|   the ASP-ACTIVE state in all Application Servers.

The text "and move the ASP to the ASP-ACTIVE state in all Application
Servers" was added at the end.

This is not true: there are conditions under which the ASP is not moved
to the ASP-ACTIVE state, regardless of the presence or absence of RC
in the message.  The only thing that the absense of RC implies is that
the SGP must know from configuration information to which AS the ASP is
a member, otherwise, everything else being ok, an error message ERR("No
Configured AS for ASP") is sent per Section 3.8.1.  However, there are
many other things to consider before move the ASP to the ASP-ACTIVE state,
such as the current state of the ASP, the validity of the Traffic Mode Type
in the message, Management blocking conditions, partial or complete failure
to the NIF at the SGP, etc.

Please restore the original RFC text as follows:

>4.3.4.3 ASP Active Procedures
>
>   Anytime after the ASP has received an ASP Up Ack message from the SGP
>   or IPSP, the ASP MAY send an ASP Active message to the SGP indicating
>   that the ASP is ready to start processing traffic.  This action MAY
>   be initiated at the ASP by an M-ASP_ACTIVE request primitive from
>   Layer Management or MAY be initiated automatically by an M3UA
>   management function.  In the case where an ASP wishes to process the
>   traffic for more than one Application Server across a common SCTP
>   association, the ASP Active message(s) SHOULD contain a list of one
>   or more Routing Contexts to indicate for which Application Servers
>   the ASP Active message applies. It is not necessary for the ASP to
>   include all Routing Contexts of interest in a single ASP Active
>   message, thus requesting to become active in all Routing Contexts at
>   the same time.  Multiple ASP Active messages MAY be used to activate
>   within the Application Servers independently, or in sets.  In the
>   case where an ASP Active message does not contain a Routing Context
>   parameter, the receiver must know, via configuration data, which
>   Application Server(s) the ASP is a member.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran