Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA-v02 Last Call Comment: Simultaneous support of SE and DE.

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 20:47:33 -0600

Because an IPSP cannot support SE and DE for the same AS, the following
passage is problematic:

|4.3 AS and ASP State Maintenance
|
|   ...
|
|   In order to ensure interoperability, an M3UA implementation
|   supporting IPSP communication MUST support IPSP SE model and MAY
|   implement IPSP DE model.

For a given AS, an IPSP must know whether SE or DE is being supported
for the AS and only one interaction (SE or DE) can be provided for a
given AS.  Certainly no procedures are provided for detecting this.
Therefore, it is possible to conceive of an IPSP that only needs to
support DE model (because all it talks to are other DE IPSPs).

The above requirement is out of line.  Please replace with:

   In order to ensure interoperability, M3UA implementations supporting
   IPSP communication MUST provide the same model on either end of an
   association for a given AS.  The SE model is RECOMMENDED.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran