Subject: [Sigtran] Some questions about M2UA always puzzle me?

From: "FCG Jiang Hui" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 09:19:15 +0800

Dear all,

I'm new to this list, so perhaps this is a closed issue, but I was hoping to get some feedback. There are some current arguments about M2UA listed as below:

From my point of view, The SG shall have the capability to bring a SS7 link into alignment using the normal or emergency procedure according to the related commands sent from MGC at the first alignment. After the first alignment occurs, whether requiring MGC notice to re-establish link while SS7 link is unexpectedly broken needs further discussion. 

So the questions stay here:
How should the SS7 link activation be handled after the first alignment?
Who is responsible for the activation of the SS7 Layer 1 while SS7 link is unexpectedly broken which is occured after the first alignment, the MGC or the MG? Whether it needs MGC notice to re-establish link or not?
In which document the activation sequence is described?

Can anybody please provide opinions here?  I would greatly appreciate your feedback. 

Thanks and Best regards.

Jiang Hui
Tel: +8621-58541240-9542
MAILTO: [email-masked]

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 00:33:50 -0600

Jiang,

I believe the question you ask is really an MTP Level 3 question and
does not relate to M2UA which merely transports the MTP Level 2/Level 3
interface from the SG to the AS.

MTP Level 2 activation is performed by MTP Level 3.  This is true for
both initial activation and restoration of a link.  The procedures are
described in MTP Level 3 specifications such as ITU Q.704, ETSI EN 300
008-1, ANSI T1.111.4, and other national specifications.  In the scope
of M2UA, an SS7 link is never activated or restored automatically by an
SG: it is always under the control of the MTP Level 3 at the MGC.  The
MTP Level 3 at the MGC will always establish normal or emergency proving
as appropriate prior to activation or restoration.  See the signalling
link activation and restoration procedures described in the documents
cited above for more details.

--brian

FCG Jiang Hui wrote:                            (Sun, 09 May 2004 09:19:15)

> 
>    Dear all,
> 
>    I'm  new  to  this  list, so perhaps this is a closed issue, but I was
>    hoping  to  get  some feedback. There are some current arguments about
>    M2UA listed as below:
> 
>    From my point of view, The SG shall have the capability to bring a SS7
>    link  into alignment using the normal or emergency procedure according
>    to  the  related  commands sent from MGC at the first alignment. After
>    the   first   alignment   occurs,  whether  requiring  MGC  notice  to
>    re-establish  link while SS7 link is unexpectedly broken needs further
>    discussion.
> 
>    Who  is  responsible  for  the activation of the SS7 Layer 1 while SS7
>    link   is  unexpectedly  broken  which  is  occured  after  the  first
>    alignment,  the  MGC  or  the  MG?  Whether  it  needs  MGC  notice to
>    re-establish link or not?
> 

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran