Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA-v02 Last Call Comment: Network Appearance

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:36:07 -0600

Confusing changes to Network appearance.  The offending passage is:

3.3.1 Payload Data Message (DATA)

   ...

   Network Appearance: 32-bits (unsigned integer)

      The Network Appearance parameter identifies the SS7 network
      context for the message and implicitly identifies the used SS7
      Point Code format, the SS7 Network Indicator value, and the MTP3
      and possibly the MTP3-User protocol type/variant/version used
      within the specific SS7 network.  Where a SG operates in the
      context of a single SS7 network, or individual SCTP associations
      are dedicated to each SS7 network context, the Network Appearance
      parameter is not required.  In other cases the parameter may be
      configured to be present for the use of the receiver.

Changed from the following in RFC 3332:

      The Network Appearance parameter identifies the SS7 network
      context for the message and implicitly identifies the SS7 Point
      Code format used, the SS7 Network Indicator value, and the MTP3
      and possibly the MTP3-User protocol type/variant/version used
      within the specific SS7 network.  Where an SG operates in the
      context of a single SS7 network, or individual SCTP associations
      are dedicated to each SS7 network context, the Network Appearance
      parameter is not required.  In other cases the parameter may be
      configured to be present for the use of the receiver.

The "used" applied to the SS7 Point Code format in the original.  Now
it is confused.  Why was this change made?

Please put back to the RFC 3332 text.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran