Subject: [Sigtran] A question about M2PA Test spec version 5

From: pradeep reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:18:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi
 
I have a few questions about M2PA draft..
 
M2PA test spec , section 3.8.10 seem to indicate that first message with abnormal BSN is acked. However Q.703, figure 14 (sheet 3 of 7) indicates that a first abonormal message is discarded and a second one will result in link failure. As there was no mention of this in M2PA draft, iam not sure if Q.703 is applicable here.  Iam wondering why there is a behavioral change for M2PA. 
 
Also Q.703 recommends that a level 3 indication(flush or continue) should be mandated before resuming normal operation in case of a processor outage recovery on both sides. M2PA draft processor outage procedure, refers to resuming the operation once a ready is received from peer and sequence numbers are sycnronized. Is the Q.703 recommendation applicable here? 
 
Thanks
Pradeep

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:27:19 -0600

pradeep,

M2PA never discards messages because they will not be retransmitted by
the peer and there is no way in M2PA to nack a message.

Thus the test delivers instead of discarding.  It is still necessary to
take the link out of service when 2 consecutive abnormal BSNs are
received.

No, it doesn't really say that in the RFC: oops.

The M2PA test draft is long expired.  Although the IETF does not get too
involved in test specification (it actually _has_ issued them before),
would the WG be interested in seeing this draft become an Informational
RFC?

--brian

pradeep reddy wrote:                                      (Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:18:46)
>    M2PA  test  spec  , section 3.8.10 seem to indicate that first message
>    with  abnormal  BSN  is acked. However Q.703, figure 14 (sheet 3 of 7)
>    indicates that a first abonormal message is discarded and a second one
>    will  result  in link failure. As there was no mention of this in M2PA
>    draft,  iam  not  sure if Q.703 is applicable here.  Iam wondering why
>    there is a behavioral change for M2PA.
> 
> 
> 
>    Also   Q.703   recommends   that   a   level   3  indication(flush  or
>    continue) should  be mandated before resuming normal operation in case
>    of  a  processor  outage  recovery on both sides. M2PA draft processor
>    outage  procedure,  refers  to  resuming the operation once a ready is
>    received  from peer and sequence numbers are sycnronized. Is the Q.703
>    recommendation applicable here?
> 
> 
> 
>    Thanks
> 
>    Pradeep
> 

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/