Subject: [Sigtran] M2PA retransmission: possible consistency issue

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:44:36 +0200

Hi,

seeing that M2PA retransmission issues have been discussed before I am
prepared to accept things as they are. However, I think there is a
consistency issue in RFC 4165 concerning retransmissions.

4.1.1. states:

[...]
"Since SCTP provides reliable delivery and ordered delivery, M2PA does
not perform retransmissions."
[...]

While this statement perfectly makes sense, it might seem that this is
in contrast to the fact that there is an M2PA retransmission buffer for
'special purpose'. As I see things, "does not perform retransmissions"
means there is no retransmission buffer.

Regards,

Lothar

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:52:52 +0200

Hi,

I think you need this buffer for message retrieval if you want
to do a changeover at the MTP3 layer.

Best regards
Michael

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:46:40 -0600

Lothar,

Yes, as Michael puts, the retransmission buffer is for retransmission
(by MTP Level 3) on an alternate link.  MTP Level 2 also uses this
buffer for retransmissions on the same link, but M2PA does not perform
retransmissions on the same link as this retransmission is performed by
SCTP.

We left the naming the same as MTP Level 2 as the functions of the RTB
as seen by MTP Level 3 and the MTP2/MTP3 interface are the same.

--brian

[email-masked] wrote:                            (Wed, 16 May 2007 21:44:36)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/