Subject: [Sigtran] Doubt regarding Dynamic registration and DE model

From: "Mohammad Arif" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:56:04 +0530

Hi ,

IF one M3UA peer supports SE model and another supports DE model,then how
will they communicate.?
How will local M3UA endpoint knows that the remote end is supporting the
same model( SE or DE)?

My Second doubt is,
Can Routing Key be a static configurable data ( to be entered by user)? Or
it is always generated from OPC,DPC,SLS. ?
Does the static configuring of routing key depend on SE or DE model?
I have an understanding that DE model supports dynamic registration so
routing key is  not configurable , it is generated.

I would be very grateful for any help regarding my doubts.

THANKS

-- 
Regards
Mohammad Arif
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:03:55 -0600

Mohammad,

Mohammad Arif wrote:                               (Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:56:04)
> 
>    Hi ,
> 
> 
> 
>    IF  one M3UA peer supports SE model and another supports DE model,then
>    how will they communicate.?

Both must support SE.  See RFC 4666/4.3:

 4.3.  AS and ASP/IPSP State Maintenance

   ...

   In order to ensure interoperability, an M3UA implementation
   supporting IPSP communication MUST support the IPSP SE model and MAY
   implement the IPSP DE model.

> 
>    How  will  local M3UA endpoint knows that the remote end is supporting
>    the same model( SE or DE)?

Well, if it supports IPSP at all, it MUST support SE and only MAY support DE.
Therefore, for DE mode operation, both ends will have to be configured for DE
operation.

>    My Second doubt is,
> 
>    Can  Routing  Key  be  a  static configurable  data ( to be entered by
>    user)? Or it is always generated from OPC,DPC,SLS. ?

Any data can be used.  See RFC 4666/1.4.2.1:

   ... 

   Possible SS7 address/routing information that comprise a Routing Key
   entry includes, for example, the OPC, DPC, and SIO found in the MTP3
   routing label.  Some example Routing Keys are: the DPC alone, the
   DPC/OPC combination, or the DPC/OPC/SI combination.  The particular
   information used to define an M3UA Routing Key is application and
   network dependent, and none of the above examples are mandated.

>    Does the static configuring of routing key depend on SE or DE model?

No. See RFC 4666/1.4.2.3:

   There are two ways to provision a Routing Key at an SGP.  A Routing
   Key may be configured statically using an implementation dependent
   management interface, or dynamically using the M3UA Routing Key
   registration procedure.

>    routing key is  not configurable , it is generated.

No. See RFC 4666/1.4.2.3:

   There are two ways to provision a Routing Key at an SGP.  A Routing
   Key may be configured statically using an implementation dependent
   management interface, or dynamically using the M3UA Routing Key
   registration procedure.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: "Mohammad Arif" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:01:26 +0530

Hi Brian,

Thanks a lot for your quick help, your mail has cleared lot of doubts.

I have one more doubt now.

Consider two AS communicating  where the RK1=(OPC=2-200, DPC=2-100) is
different from RK2=(OPC=2-100,
DPC=2-200). Each RK defines its own AS, in this case AS1, which
corresponds to RK1, sits in 2-200 signalling point and AS2, which
corresponds to RK2, is in 2-100, and each AS has its own RK.
 Then Routing Context RC1 corresponding to RK1
 is assigned in AS2 and Routing Context RC2 corresponding to RK2 is
 assigned in AS1.

 Then will the messages going from AS1 to AS2 use RC2 and messages going
from AS2 to AS1 use RC1,
 or it is the other way round. ?

 Please clarify

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 01:34:00 -0600

Mohammad,

Mohammad Arif wrote:                          (Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:01:26)
> different from RK2=(OPC=2-100, DPC=2-200). Each RK defines its own AS,
> in this case AS1, which corresponds to RK1, sits in 2-200 signalling
> point and AS2, which corresponds to RK2, is in 2-100, and each AS has
> its own RK.

Well no.  In your example RK1 defines AS2 and RK2 defines AS1.  That is
each RK defines the remote AS.  RK is an SG concept.  It is used at the
SG to route message to the (remote) AS.

> Then Routing Context RC1 corresponding to RK1 is assigned in AS2 and
> Routing Context RC2 corresponding to RK2 is assigned in AS1.

No, RC1 corresponding to RK1 is assigned in IPSP1 (2-200) to represent
AS2 and RC2 corresponding to RK2 is assigned in IPSP2 (2-100).

> Then  will  the  messages  going from AS1 to AS2 use RC2 and messages
> going from AS2 to AS1 use RC1, or it is the other way round. ?

The message going from IPSP1 to IPSP2 for AS2 is routed using RK1 and
thus is assigned RC1.  The message going from IPSP2 to IPSP1 for AS1 is
routed using RK2 and this is assigned RC2.

So,

IPSP1(2-200) has AS1 defined by RK2 (OPC=2-100,DPC=2-200).
IPSP2(2-100) has AS2 defined by RK1 (OPC=2-200,DPC=2-100).

RK2 is used by IPSP2 to route messages to AS1 using RC2 (assigned at IPSP2).
RK1 is used by IPSP1 to route messages to AS2 using RC1 (assigned at IPSP1).

Just remember that an RK defines the remote AS (located at the DPC), is
used to send messages, and the RC value is assigned by the side sending
messages.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: "Mohammad Arif" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:19:20 +0530

Hi Brian

Thanks for your help, i have understood the concept now,thanks.

---

From: "Asveren, Tolga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:17:44 -0400

Just one small note below.

  Thanks,
  Tolga

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:34 AM
> To: Mohammad Arif
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Sigtran] Doubt regarding Dynamic registration and DE
model
> RK1 is used by IPSP1 to route messages to AS2 using RC1 (assigned at
[TOLGA]This is for DE model I assume. For SE model, RCs used by both
ends has to be the same.

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:06:55 -0600

Tolga,

Asveren, Tolga wrote:                       (Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:17:44)
> Just one small note below.

Subject: Re: [Sigtran] Doubt regarding Dynamic registration and DE model
                                                                ^^^^^^^^

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/