Subject: [Sigtran] Sigtran or MTP interconnect?

From: "Lee Dryburgh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:51:33 +0100

An issue has arisen in relation to the emerging communications
conference (www.eCommMedia.com); the short of it is - are people still
doing MTP interconnects? If so why? To be more specific, are people
still building boxes then going to incumbents around the world,
running thru tests (Q.78x) to get them certified at high cost etc. in
each country? Or do all incumbents in developed nations now accept
Sigtran for signlling interconnect? Any experiences would be welcome.
I know in the States that Verisign has supported Sigtran interconnects
for around 5 years, but I wonder what the case is, specifically in
Belgium?

Leaving aside the incumbent issue (i.e. do they accept SigTran
interconnects on the whole) - does anyone see an advantage of using
MTP?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:01:54 -0700

Lee,

Lee Dryburgh wrote:                                                                    (Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:51:33)
> doing MTP interconnects?

Yes.

> If so why?

Because that is how phone switches tend to talk to each other.

> To be more specific, are people still building boxes then going to
> incumbents around the world, running thru tests (Q.78x) to get them
> certified at high cost etc. in each country?

Many boxes (SS7 stacks) where built many years ago an are already
certified.  Certified SS7 stack software is available to be used
in new designs without the additional costs.

> Or do all incumbents in developed nations now accept Sigtran for signlling
> interconnect?

No.

> Any experiences would be welcome.  I know in the States that
> Verisign has supported Sigtran interconnects for around 5 years, but I
> wonder what the case is, specifically in Belgium?

M3UA has been a GSM standard for over 5 years as well.

> interconnects on the whole) - does anyone see an advantage of using

Advantage: it works.

SIGTRAN does not avoid the use of SS7 stacks (it is not a complete
signalling protocol stack of its own), it just provides a way to
distribute that stack over mutliple boxes or a way for two SS7 stacks to
communicate over IP instead of TDM links.  If anything it adds more
complexity to an SS7 interconnection rather than removing it.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/