Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA - Clarification on RFC 1.3.2.1

From: aditi someshwar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 13:47:42 +0530

*RFC4666*

1.3.2.1.  Support for the Transport of MTP3-User Messages

Fact (Quote): The M3UA layer provides the transport of MTP-TRANSFER
primitives across an established SCTP association between an SGP and an ASP
or between IPSPs.

QUERY: The RFC seems to suggest that "MTP-TRANSFER PRIMITIVE itself" is
transported between NODE-A & NODE-B; our belief is that the
"CONSEQUENCE(result)" of having acted upon a primitive is what is
transported - - meaning that the PAYLOAD passed over by the "MTP-3 User"
under the primitive "MTP-TRANSFER" is what gets transported.

COMMENT: In a LOGICAL sense, OF COURSE, it would mean that when AT THE
SENDING NODE, the "MTP-3    User" passes down a PAYLOAD to its LOCAL M3UA
(requesting for its TRANSPORT to the remote nodeB),     the M3UA does ACTION
this, & with help from SCTP, causes this PAYLOAD to be transported across.
At    the receiving node, the M3UA shall get the PAYLOAD from its local
SCTP, which it will in-turn    handover to the UL {"MTP-3 User at node B"}.
TO THAT EXTENT, use of the phrase "transports MTP-   TRANSFER PRIMITIVE" is
perhaps understandable, BUT the fact remains that it is confusing!!!

Any Comments please???

Regards,
Aditi

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 15:10:44 -0600

aditi,

Well, no, the purpose is to extend the MTP/MTP-User interface from one
host to another.  To do so, transporting the primitive is required, not
just the payload of the primitive.

--brian

aditi someshwar wrote:                         (Mon, 08 Aug 2011 13:47:42)
>    RFC4666
>    primitives across an established SCTP association between an SGP and an
>    ASP or between IPSPs.
> 
>    transported - - meaning that the PAYLOAD passed over by the "MTP-3
>    User" under the primitive "MTP-TRANSFER" is what gets transported.
> 
>    SENDING NODE, the "MTP-3    User" passes down a PAYLOAD to its LOCAL
>    M3UA (requesting for its TRANSPORT to the remote nodeB),     the M3UA
>    does ACTION this, & with help from SCTP, causes this PAYLOAD to be
>    transported across. At    the receiving node, the M3UA shall get the
>    PAYLOAD from its local SCTP, which it will in-turn    handover to the
>    UL {"MTP-3 User at node B"}. TO THAT EXTENT, use of the phrase
>    "transports MTP-   TRANSFER PRIMITIVE" is perhaps understandable, BUT
>    the fact remains that it is confusing!!!
> 
> 
> 
>    Any Comments please???
> 
>    Regards,
> 
>    Aditi

> _______________________________________________
> Sigtran mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/