Subject: [Sigtran] State-machines wrong in the RFC-3332 and RFC-4666 ??!!

From: Ajay Garg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:15:08 +0530

Hi all.

Sorry if I am acting stupid, but

1)
At https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3332.txt, in the section

                               5.1.4 Three ASPs in an Application Server
("n+k" sparing, loadsharing case)

should not "Notify (AS-ACTIVE)" be sent to ASP1 and ASP2 (as against ASP2
and ASP3 as per the diagram), since ASP1 and ASP2 are the ones that sent
the "ASP Act (Ldshr)" message (and are thus the "n" active ASPs)?

2)
At https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4666, in the section

<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4666#section-5.1.4>5.1.4 Three ASPs in an
Application Server ("n+k" sparing, loadsharing case)

why will "Notify (AS-ACTIVE)" be sent to ASP3 (since only ASP1 and ASP2
sent the "ASP Act. (Ldshr)" message, and are thus the "n" active ASPs)?

Again, sorry if I am missing something very fundamental.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 01:06:32 -0600

Ajay,

Please see comments below:

Ajay Garg wrote:                        (Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:15:08)
>    1)
>    At [1]https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3332.txt, in the section
>                                   5.1.4 Three ASPs in an Application
>    Server ("n+k" sparing, loadsharing case)
>    should not "Notify (AS-ACTIVE)" be sent to ASP1 and ASP2 (as against
>    ASP2 and ASP3 as per the diagram), since ASP1 and ASP2 are the ones
>    that sent the "ASP Act (Ldshr)" message (and are thus the "n" active
>    ASPs)?

On the first page of RFC 4666 you will see the line: "Obsoletes: 3332".

>    2)
>    At [2]https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4666, in the section

RFC 4666 4.3.4.5 Notify Procedures:

  A Notify message reflecting a change in the AS state MUST be sent to
  all ASPs in the AS, except those in the ASP-DOWN state, with
  appropriate Status information and any ASP identifier of the failed
  ASP.

ASP3 is not in the ASP down state and therefore must be sent the
AS-ACTIVE message.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: Ajay Garg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:50:42 +0530

Thanks Brian for the quick reply.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> On the first page of RFC 4666 you will see the line: "Obsoletes: 3332".

:)
We are in the process of moving to the new release of the stack provided by
our vendor (right now, the stack uses M3UA in accordance with RFC 3332).

For purely academic purposes, I guess that here too "Notify (AS-ACTIVE)"
would be sent to all the ASPs (as per your reply to my second query, and
RFC-3332 also has the same "Notify Procedures")?

> ASP3 is not in the ASP down state and therefore must be sent the

Thanks Brian ... !!!!

Thanks a ton Brian for the clarifications !!

-- 
Regards,
Ajay

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 01:24:04 -0600

Ajay,

Please see comments below...

Ajay Garg wrote:                           (Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:50:42)
>    We are in the process of moving to the new release of the stack
>    provided by our vendor (right now, the stack uses M3UA in accordance
>    with RFC 3332).
>    For purely academic purposes, I guess that here too "Notify
>    (AS-ACTIVE)" would be sent to all the ASPs (as per your reply to my
>    second query, and RFC-3332 also has the same "Notify Procedures")?

RFC 3332 has the same statement in section 4.3.4.5.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: Ajay Garg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:20:55 +0530

Thanks Brian !!

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[email-masked]

-- 
Regards,
Ajay