Subject: Re: [Simple] IM Service Profile? (was Re: Mobility of Buddy List, Again)

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 01:52:31 -0500

Tony Hansen wrote:
> 
> Here are some ideas on how this could play out within the IETF.
> 
> One of the documents being put out in the SIP WG is SIP Call Flow
> Examples. It shows how the SIP protocol should be used in an IP
> Telephony service.
> 
> Another effort in the IETF is the Voice Profile for Internet Messaging
> (VPIM) working group. That group has been figuring out how to do voice
> messaging (for voice mailboxes) using existing protocols, such as SMTP
> and IMAP. Where the existing protocols were lacking, they also worked on
> filling in the gaps, either within the VPIM WG or in conjunction with
> other working groups (e.g., imap-ext). Note: the VPIM WG was originally
> formed due to input from an external organization, the EMA, but the work
> has all been done here in the IETF.
> 
> The problem we're facing here in SIMPLE seems to be in the same
> category, and the solution may be similar. It appears that what is
> required is a profile for an instant messaging service saying how it
> should pull together the different piece parts to form a coherent whole.

Well, there are two parts.

Part one, is to specify the pieces, and to make sure they are all there.
Part two, is to specify an architecture that puts them together as a
whole.

Part one is definitely an IETF activity. We really have most of the
pieces, and the few that remain, are easy. I have written an I-D on this
subject, which discusess the pieces needed for a consumer IM/buddy-list
application:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-simple-components-00.txt

I'd really like to get group input on whether there is
interest/agreement on which aspects of my proposed plan.

The second piece, part two, is to specify an architecture that pulls it
all together. If such a thing were done here, it would need to be
informational to say the least. There is precendent for publication of
informational architecture docs generated by other bodies (the DCS
architecture). I think SOMEONE needs to put this together, that is for
certain. If no one else is stepping up to the plate, I'd prefer IETF to
nobody, thats for sure.

> 
> I'm convinced we can solve this problem. Getting feedback from the
> industry is absolutely useful in the process, but I think the work needs
> to happen here, in the IETF. And I'm willing to work on it.
> 
> Comments? Should something like this go on the SIMPLE agenda for
> Minneapolis?

I'd like to discuss it, yes.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com
_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:39:17 -0500

Discussion on the components document is scheduled for the last 45
minutes of the SIMPLE slot. While we can probably get some things agreed
on during that time, there are probably a number of issues that won't
be. Since face to face is so much higher bandwidth than email, are
people interested in continuing a discussion of the components document
and IM/P service profiles either over dinner on Wednesday after SIMPLE,
over lunch on Thursday, or over dinner on Thursday?

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 06:33:23 -0800 (PST)

This sounds like a good thing. How about Wednesday 
evening over dinner before the plenary?

/sean

> over lunch on Thursday, or over dinner on Thursday?

=====
Sean Olson <[email-masked]>

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Sports - live college hoops coverage
http://sports.yahoo.com/
_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple