Subject: [Simple] Re: draft-rosenberg-simple-components-00.txt (threading)

From: Torrey Searle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:27:37 +0100

On reason that makes group discussions via e-mail easy and quick to 
start up is the ability to "reply to all" in response to the e-mail, in 
the case of page mode of IM a person reciving an IM does not know who 
the other recipents of the message are, rendering it difficult for 
everybody to determine the proper members of the conversation.  Listing 
the members in a Contact header is not allowed because no dialog is created.

Perhaps a "Respond-To" header can be added to a message in order to 
suggest to the recipient which addresses should a response to the given 
message be sent to.

Torrey Searle
Indigo Software

>  I believe that the simplicity remains only if you allow membership
>inconsistencies, like email.  Each group member retains their own
>membership state which may or may not match the other recipients, and
>while optional membership add/drop requests may be sent by members, each
>client is ultimately free to make their own decisions as to who they
>send messages to.  This allows for 'bcc' functionality as well.
>
>  However, if messages are not autonomous and themselves contain state,
>this would break the model.
>

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple