Subject: [Simple] XCAP default namespaces

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:44:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

PUT fragment in XCAP without namespace could be a problem.

Eg:
<entry uri="sip:[email-masked]">
     <display-name>Bob Jones</display-name>
</entry>

Should be:
<entry xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:resource-lists"
uri="sip:[email-masked]">
     <display-name>Bob Jones</display-name>
</entry>

In the former we cannot distinguish between no namespace and default
namespace. Similar problem is faced in XPATH default namespace binding, in
XPATH unless explicitly specified in the form "namespace:path" no
namespace is considered.

Regards
-Anurag

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jari Urpalainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:56:57 +0200

>      <display-name>Bob Jones</display-name>
actually it could be not should, as default namespace is inherited from
the document context (as well as prefixed elements inherit ns
declarations from the document). this is an example of a "blind" update
which will be clarified in the text.
> XPATH unless explicitly specified in the form "namespace:path" no
it is true that using no namespace is somewhat under-specified as e.g.
selection "entry/display-name" in XPath means locating unqualified
elements. This was purposely made in XCAP such that this means selecting
qualified elements with the AU default namespace URI (in order to save
bandwidth). In theory this URI could be NULL meaning selecting
unqualified elements, but usually AUs define a default namespace.
Furthermore, AU extension points usually define "##other" namespace so
there are seldom unqualified elements (though unqualified elements are
still possible). So the spec should have a few words whether the
selection of unqualified elements is possible or not (when there's a non
NULL AU namespace URI). From implementation pov it is more complex if it
is allowed as then there are two possible interpretations for a
non-prefixed element. 
br,
Jari