Subject: [Simple] Re: Does the order of data-model elements and rpid elements matter for data-model and rpid elements?

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:55:04 -0500

Xiaotao Wu wrote:

> The data-model draft defines <person> and <device> elements which can
> be put in a pidf document's <presence> element. Does the order of
> <person> and <device> matter?

The data model spec doesn't say. I don't think it should matter. The 
inability to clearly specify this is one of the difficulties in using 
the extensibility mechanism we are using; this is a recognized 
limitation. However, the data-model spec should state that it doesnt matter.

> If the order does not matter, should that be explicitly mentioned in
> the draft to ensure the interoperability? 

Yes.

> So, people should not use
> <xs:sequence><xs:element person...><xs:element
> device...></xs:sequence> to integrate data-model into pidf schema.

Well, they should never do that. Firstly, we are generally not 
recommending validation on receipt for presence documents. Secondly, if 
you do validate, you should never be modifying the original xml schema 
to add the extensions as child elements in place of the <any>.

> Rather, they should use <xs:sequence><xs:choice><xs:element
> person...><xs:element device...></xs:choice></xs:sequence> to
> integrate <person> and <device> elements into pidf schema.

No, neither. The document should be validated against the specified schema.

> 
> The same question also applies to the rpid I-D. Should we explicitly
> mentioned in the draft that the order of <activities>, <class>, ...
> does not matter in a XML document.

Yes.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple