Subject: Re: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-xml-patch-ops-00.txt

From: Jari Urpalainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:56:09 +0200

Hi all!

Changes  since the individual version:
-fixed a bug when replacing a comment or a PI node; a "< " character can 
be present within them, within text nodes it must be escaped
-clarified attribute value and text node replace behavior when the 
replacement text is empty
-added some conventions used in this memo which don't exist e.g. in the 
XPath 1.0 spec
-clarified that the root node of a document as well as the full XML 
prolog cannot be patched with XPath semantics
-absolute location paths in XPath selector values are allowed but not 
encouraged
-added a patch element type for text content patching. This is still 
somewhat controversial mostly because of ipr issues. However, it was 
just added in order to show how to use it if some application really 
wants/needs it. AFAIK vcdiff seems to be the most sane way to handle 
these, but does anybody know whether the ipr limits its usage only to 
e.g. rfc3229 ?
-did not include multi-select "msel" selector which could be used e.g. 
to remove multiple attributes or elements with one patch operation 
request. The reference implementation at 
<http://xmlpatch.sourceforge.net/> includes it, however. The possible 
nested element case has to be handled then, but it is mostly not 
included in the spec because I can't see enough motivation for it. If 
there's really need for it it can be done in an extension later. The 
same can be said e.g. about a move operation.

A couple of other nits here and there but I'd really appreciate some 
feedback/comments.
br,
Jari

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple