Subject: [Simple] Filtering: one issue still open

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:41:13 +0100

Hi,

draft-ietf-simple-filter-format-05 says:

"The (filter's) <changed> element is used to identify the XML element or
attribute, from the package specific XML document, whose value MUST
change, compared to the "previous XML document", in order to activate
the trigger and cause the content to be delivered.  Previous XML
document in this context refers to the last XML document that was
selected for delivery to that specific subscription before any filter
was applied to it."

I understand that the "previous XML document" is the last notification
that is sent to the subscriber, but without any 'what' filter applied on
it. Simply said, the "previous XML document" is the whole presentity's
presence document whose filtered piece was selected for delivery to the
subscriber. Right?

Now, I don't completely understand, what is "selected for delivery". Is
it the information that passed the triggering only, or is it the
information that was *really* sent to the subscriber? It is not the
same, since after filtering, there is also the throttling component in
the presence server that may cause the notification to be not sent, in
fact.

Please note, this is also connected to the filtering & throttling
paradox I've posted here a few days ago.

What is your opinion Hisham? (Other people are welcome to post
suggestions too, of course :)

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Michal Burda

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Hisham Khartabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:53:06 +0100

> presence document whose filtered piece was selected for delivery to the

This is right.

> the presence server that may cause the notification to be not sent, in

I will reword this sentence in the Author's 48 hours since it is 
causing a lot of confusion. What you describe as the "previous XML 
document" is enough.

Hisham