Subject: [Simple] MSRP Response vs. Report

From: "Harold Harold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:31:11 +0200

Hello,
what is the difference between the Response and the Report-Request in MSRP?
They both can include a Statuscode.

If i have a scenario without relays, that
UA1 is sending a SEND-Request to UA2, then why would I need a
Report-Request, if the Response can also tell me that the MSRP-Message
was received?

Thanks,
Harold

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:58:45 -0600

Responses are hop-by-hop. REPORT is end-to-end. For example, if you  
have a relay, a SEND request may be successfully delivered to the  
relay, which generates a successful response. But then the relay  
fails to deliver to the other end, the relay can send a REPORT  
indicating the failure.

If you do not have relays, and use the default report mode, you won't  
generally see any REPORT requests. That being said, it is hard to  
know for sure that you will never talk to someone else who is using a  
relay, so an implementation should be able to support REPORT.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:22:15 +0200

Okay, so if there are relays, then the REPORTS are the only possibility to
let the endpoint know if his SEND was successful or not.
That is because Responses are hop-by-hop and REPORTS are end-to-end.

So if i have:
A<--------->Relay<-------->B
and A sends a SEND

Sceanrio 1: To let A know that his SEND was received, B sends a REPORT
directly to A, right after he has send a Response to the Relay
Scenario 2: The Response from B to the Relay got lost, the Relay sends a
REPORT directly to A
Possible Scenario 3: Is it possible that B sends a REPORT that goes not
directly to A, instead it goes first to the Relay and from the Relay to A,
then its not end-to-end anymore, right?

1.