Subject: [Simple] Request URI of PUBLISH vs 'pres' URL of publishing entity

From: "Sean Leahy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:06:09 +0000

There seems to be a contradiction within RFCs 3903, 3863 and 
draft-rosenburg-simple-presence-processing-model-01.

The Request-URI of a PUBLISH request contains the information necessary to 
route the request to the Presence Server and identifies the resource whose 
event state is to be published [RFC 3903]. Thus the PUBLISH request is 
sent to the Presence Server that composes the presence state bound to the 
address in the Request-URI.

The presence element of a Presence Information Data Format document (PIDF) 
[RFC 3863] must have an 'entity' attribute.  The value of the 'entity' 
attribute is the 'pres' URL of the presentity publishing this document. 
i.e. the 'pres' URL appears to identify the publisher rather than the 
subject of the presence document (these may or may not be the same).

Is my understanding correct that the model allows for a separation of the 
subject entity (identified by the Request-URI) and the publishing entity 
(identified by the 'pres' URL)? 

If so, I would have expected 'A Processing Model for Presence' (draft-rosenburg-simple-presence-processing-model-01) to show that the collection of event state centres around the 
Request-URI but in fact it identifies "the set of documents whose "entity" 
attribute in the <presence> element in the presence document is the same 
as that of the presentity." i.e. it appears to centre around the 'pres' 
URL (in the PIDF in the PUBLISH request) rather than the Request-URI.

This seems to contradict the position that the 'pres' URL identifies the 
publisher rather than the subject of the presence document or at least 
eliminates the idea that there is a separation of the subject entity 
(identified by the Request-URI) and the publishing entity (identified by 
the 'pres' URL).

Please can you clarify which position is correct ? 

If there is no separation between the subject and the publisher intended, 
then can it be said the the Request URI of a PUBLISH request must always 
be the same as the  'pres' URL (in the PIDF in the PUBLISH request)  ?

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple