Subject: [Simple] XCAP specification: status and changes

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:54:06 -0500

So, folks may have noticed that an updated XCAP document was never 
announced by the I-D editor. This was because, unfortunately, a revision 
didn't get done in time for the deadline.

However, I was able to complete an update of the document after the 
deadline. The document is now available at my website:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-simple-xcap-09.txt

The changes reflect bug fixes and the main change we had agreed upon on 
the list - adding the ability to do conditional inserts.

The full set of diffs are as follows:

* Major change is allowing for insert operations to be conditional, so
that an If-Match header field can be included. Furthermore, Etag is
included in DELETE response. This allows for the xcap-diff document to
be eliminated.

* Terminology change: "path separator" to "node selector separator"
since path separator seems like it would be a '/'.

* clarification of algorithms for determining position of insertion,
including many examples

* Update ABNF reference to 4234

* Selection by name is now called selection by expanded name, since it
is in fact the expanded name that is being used in the selection
process

* Grammar for node selector only allowed double quote around
attributes previously; xpath allows single as well, so support for
single quote is added

* Selection extension had a bug - it only allowed a single
character. Now it allows more than one.

* Terminology change; escape-coded to percent encoded

* clarify that "document context" is root node in XML terms

* default namespace binding for the query string in the URI is definde
by the application usage. The spec now says that, if undefined by the
usage, its null

* updated XPath 2.0 reference to most recent document

* added <?xml version="1.0"?> to various example documents

* fixed fairly major bug, which was quoting the URI in xmlns()
expressions, and thus escaping them when placed into URI. These are
not supposed to be quoted and thus there is no need for escaping.

* xcap-error document was missing any possibility of
extensibility. This was addressed by allowing an <extension> element.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple