Subject: [Simple] contact card elements in PIDF

From: "Tim Rang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:33:51 -0800

I'm curious how other implementers are transmitting contact card
attributes in PIDF documents.  The CIPID draft provides for a couple of
basic attributes to be reflected directly in the document, but most of
them are required to passed indirectly via a <card> element in LDIF or
vCard format.  This may be useful in some situations, but I think is
lacking in several respects-

-          How to guarantee that a watcher always has access to the
card.  In enterprises, an internal http location may not be accessible
to federated users and external storage of vcards may be unavailable.

-          How to set flexible permissions on contact card data.  I may
want to show some watchers a vCard with just my company, company
address, and job title, while I want to show office number and home
address to others.  If I home my vcard on a web server, I can show
people different URLs but I cannot guarantee that richer vCard is
unavailable to more restricted watchers.

Has there been a proposal anywhere to place this kind of data directly
in PIDF rather than at a URL?  

Thanks,

Tim Rang

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple