Subject: Re: [Simple] MSRP (RFC 4975) question

From: "gilad govrin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 07:24:07 +0200

*From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf
Of *Gilad Govrin
*Sent:* Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:28 AM
*To:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* [Simple] MSRP (RFC 4975) question

Hi All,

I need clarifications for issues raised while implementing RFC 4975.

In section 7.1.1 the RFC is "strongly recommended" to use interruptible
mechanism, meaning to send chunks greater than 2048 and interrupt it when
others are waiting to send their own messages on the same connection, and as
a result split large messages into fewer chunks as possible.

Based on this fact, Theoretically, senders that implemented interruptible
mechanism can send 4GB file in one chunk (assuming no one interrupt it while
sending).

The receiver may detect that he don't want to process this message the
moment he gets the headers for any reason, for example unsupported content
type.

The question is whether the receiver is allow to send reject response while
receiving chunk data, or he should wait for the end-line and only then send
this response?

Thanks in advance,

Gilad
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Gilad Govrin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:48:50 +0200

Hi All,

Sorry for asking again but I didn't get any response for this one, does
anyone has insights about this one?

I need clarifications for issues raised while implementing RFC 4975
MSRP.

In section 7.1.1 the RFC is "strongly recommended" to use interruptible
mechanism, meaning to send chunks greater than 2048 and interrupt it
when others are waiting to send their own messages on the same
connection, and as a result split large messages into fewer chunks as
possible.

Based on this fact, Theoretically, senders that implemented
interruptible mechanism can send 4GB file in one chunk (assuming no one
interrupt it while sending).

The receiver may detect that he don't want to process this message the
moment he gets the headers for example unsupported content type.

The question is whether the receiver is allow to send reject response
while receiving chunk data, or he should wait for the end-line and only
then send this response?

Thanks in advance,

Gilad

---

From: Denis Bilenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 14:29:04 +0600

I think you don't have to wait for a complete chunk in order to send the
response.
Here's a quote from RFC that implies that:

  If the sender receives the 413 while in the process of sending
  a chunk, and the chunk is interruptible, the sender MUST interrupt it.

  (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4975#section-10.5)

Gilad Govrin wrote:
> Hi All,
>  
> Sorry for asking again but I didn't get any response for this one,
> does anyone has insights about this one?
>  
> I need clarifications for issues raised while implementing RFC 4975 MSRP.
>  
> In section 7.1.1 the RFC is "strongly recommended" to use
> interruptible mechanism, meaning to send chunks greater than 2048 and
> interrupt it when others are waiting to send their own messages on the
> same connection, and as a result split large messages into fewer
> chunks as possible.
> interruptible mechanism can send 4GB file in one chunk (assuming no
> one interrupt it while sending).
>  
> while receiving chunk data, or he should wait for the end-line and
> only then send this response?
>  
> Thanks in advance,
>  
> Gilad
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Gilad Govrin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:01:54 +0200

Hi,

First of all thanks for the response.

Actually I thought about this quote, but from this quote it is not clear
whether the 413 received for the current chunk that is in sending
process.
Since it says: "while in the process of sending a chunk" and not "while
in the process of sending the chunk".
The situation may be sending chunk x and than sending chunk y
(interruptible), then receive 413 for chunk x, in this case we must
interrupt chunk y.

Gilad

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis Bilenko [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2008 10:29 AM
To: Gilad Govrin
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Simple] MSRP (RFC 4975) question

MSRP.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:09:46 -0500

I'm quite sure the intent was that the response may be sent for the 
chunk in progress.

	Thanks,
	Paul