Subject: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-11 released

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:22:46 -0600

Folks: I have released a new version of the overload control draft [1].

Janet Gunn performed an exhaustive review of -09 version of the draft
(thanks, Janet).  The -10 version of the draft included changes
suggested by Janet's review until Section 4 [2]; this version (i.e.,
-11) includes the changes in Section 5 onwards.

The overload control reference algorithm is the same in both -11 and
-10.

While most of the changes are editorial and designed to reduce
ambiguities when implementing the draft, a couple of changes that may
need closer scrutiny:

a) Interaction between draft-ietf-soc-load-control-event-package and
  this draft was straddled in S5.10.1 and S7 in -10.  In -11, I have
  consolidated this in S7, taking it out from S5.10.1.

b) On the same subject of interaction, whereas -10 stated in S5.10.2
  that:

    A SIP client SHOULD honor user-level load control filters
    installed by signaling neighbors [I-D.ietf-soc-load-control-event-
    package] by sending the SIP messages that matched the filter
    downstream.

  -11 now states in S7 that:

    Local policy will also dictate the precedence of different
    overload control mechanisms applied to the traffic. Specifically,
    in a scenario where load control filters are installed by
    signaling neighbours [I-D.ietf-soc-load-control-event-package]
    and the same traffic can also be throttled using the overload
    control mechanism, local policy will	dictate which of these schemes
    shall be given precedence. Interactions between the two schemes
    are out of scope for this document.

Finally, I had a quick hallway conversation with Adam during the Atlanta
IETF to remind him to review the updated version of the reference
algorithm.  As soon as he does that, and pending the scrutiny of the WG
on the changes in -11, the draft will be ready to move ahead.

Note that I have not yet incorporated the changes being debated on the
list about overload and emergency [3].  As soon as they reach a
consensus point (they seem to be close to it), I will incorporate these
in.

Thanks,

[1] 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-11.txt
[2] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-overload/current/msg00847.html
[3] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-overload/current/msg00848.html

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/