Subject: [SIP] How to compare hosts for equality?

From: "M.Ranganathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:59:20 -0400

Hello!

I have another newbie question. I hope I have not missed the obvious in
the SIP document.

There are a few SIP headers where either a host name or an address is
allowed. When needs to determine whether they are referring to the same
host, does one have to do a DNS lookup if the host name and not the
address is specified in the request header? If so, a DNS lookup can
return more than one address per host name so which one shall I pick?
If it is the responsibility of the client to ensure consistency (i.e.
always use either name or address so the server does not have to do name
lookups) then that makes life easier.

I appreciate your help in resolving my questions and thank you in
advance for your replies.,

Ranga.

---
M.Ranganathan
NIST Advanced Networking Technologies Group

National Institute of Standards and Technology
100 Bureau Drive, Mail Stop 8920
Gaithersburg , MD 20899
Tel: 301 975 3664
Fax 301 590 0932

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Gethin Liddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:15:53 +0100

> I have another newbie question. I hope I have not missed the obvious in

look at section 2.1 SIP URL comparison.  that describes how to equate
host name within the sip url and the same can be applied for any host.

-- 
Gethin Liddell
Ubiquity Software Corporation

http://www.ubiquity.net
mailto:[email-masked]