Subject: [SIP] tel URL v. SIP URL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:53:25 -0600

I note that in 2543bis the 'np-queried' parameter has been removed from the
SIP URL, since a mechanism is now available in the tel URL to support local
number portability (draft-yu-tel-url-00.txt?). Is this an indication that,
in the long term, the SIP URL is not a preferred manner to carry telephone
numbers, especially LRNs?
Previously, I had thought the only germane distinction between the two was
the absence of a host portion (and hence rules that do not allow the
inclusion of the tel URL in headers that are used in hop-by-hop routing like
Contact); the tacit host component of the tel URL in a Request-URI would be
the UA at which the network (proxies using local routing tables or ENUM or
what have you) feels this call should terminate.
If only the tel URL can carry number portability information, though, then
presumably all np-queried calls will have to be transmitted in tel URL
format. It seems to me that there might be services that would like to rely
on host-based routing even after np-queries have taken place - calls that
began with SIP URLs, which are subsequently dipped by, say, a native SIP LNP
application, might be forced to shed host information that was important to
the desired routing of the call.
Is the general sentiment that the SIP URL should not have to support number
portability?

Jon Peterson
Level(3) Communications

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Li Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:55:27 -0400

I'd agree that SIP URL should also support LNP (rn and npdi).
makes more sense for that some calls want SIP URL for certain
applications to a ported number.

li li

SS8 Networks Ltd.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 2:53 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [SIP] tel URL v. SIP URL
>
>
>

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 01:45:28 -0400

> numbers, especially LRNs?

No. The SIP URL will be able to carry these.

The idea is that the BNF for telephone-subscriber from the tel URL is
usable directly
as the user portion of the SIP URL. Since telephone subscriber
encapsulates everything in the tel URL, you can put the LNP parameters
into the SIP URL:

sip:5551212;npdbi=[email-masked]

kind of ugly, but it works. 

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com