Subject: [SIP] End-to-end transport

From: Raymond Nadeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 16:44:56 -0400

Is there any way we can force a SIP transaction going through multiple nodes to be TCP end-to-end?  
 
For example, A sends an Invite to B and that Invite is routed through two proxies P and Q. My understanding is that the A-P and Q-B connections can be over TCP for example but that the P-Q connection can be either UDP or TCP. Or will the transport protocol parameter in the request URI forces all the proxies along the way to use TCP?

Thanks,

Raymond Nadeau

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 00:10:24 -0400

No, you cannot "force it". It can be TCP end to end if all the nodes
along the path support it and prefer to be contacted via TCP. You would
use SRV records and assign a higher priority to the TCP records. In your
particular example, if Q publishes a TCP SRV record with higher priority
than the UDP one, the P->Q connection will be TCP.

-Jonathan R.

> Raymond Nadeau wrote:
> For example, A sends an Invite to B and that Invite is routed through
> two proxies P and Q. My understanding is that the A-P and Q-B
> connections can be over TCP for example but that the P-Q connection
> can be either UDP or TCP. Or will the transport protocol parameter in
> the request URI forces all the proxies along the way to use TCP?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Raymond Nadeau
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip