Subject: [SIP] register method and cseq

From: Jean-Francois Mule <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:13:38 -0700

This context of this message is:  a SIP UA registers with SIP proxy
server/registrar, the server issues 401 Unauthorized with challenge, SIP UA
sends a REGISTER with proper credentials (A), server accepts and sends 200
OK...  Then later on, SIP UA sends a "keepalive" msg (B)

2543bis-01 states: "registrations with the same Call-ID MUST have increasing
CSeq header values" and "all registrations from a client SHOULD use the same
Call-ID header value, at least within the same reboot cycle".

So, 
1. in case (A) - re-register with proper credentials, the SIP UA must send a
REGISTER with a Cseq of CSeq: 2 REGISTER
2. in case (B) - keepalive, the SIP UA must increase CSeq for each
periodical REGISTER msg sent.... 3 REGISTER ... 4 REGISTER...

Correct?

If that is the case, draft-ietf-sip-call-flows-01.txt needs to be corrected,
at least in sections 2.1.1 and 2.2.1, msgs F3 REGISTER B -> SIP Server, and
the subsequent responses F4 200 OK, etc.

Jean-Francois
Clarent corp.

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 01:11:33 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jean-Francois Mule [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 8:14 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [SIP] register method and cseq
> 
> 

Assuming the first REGISTER had CSeq: 1 REGISTER, anything higher (including
2) is fine.

> periodical REGISTER msg sent.... 3 REGISTER ... 4 REGISTER...

They must increase; there is no requirement that it be by one but thats of
course fine.

> the subsequent responses F4 200 OK, etc.

Thanks for pointing it out.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com