Subject: RE: [SIP] Content-Disposition Header questions

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:57:34 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sudipto Mukherjee [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 3:55 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [SIP] Content-Disposition Header questions
> 
> 
> In Sec 6.15, Content-Disposition of draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-02.ps,
> the following is stated -
> 
> disposition-type = "render" "session" "Icon" "alert"
> disp-extension-token
> 
> I need clarification on the usage of the above disposition-types for
> early media and preconditions. 
> 
> In my understanding -
> 
> "alert" is used in 18X responses to convey early cut-thru or 
> early media
> cases.
> 

Yes; although I am confused as well by the wording. From the text, it would
seem that if the content itself contains the media (i.e., a wave file), then
you use alert. I am not sure if this is meant to imply that a 183 with SDP
used for early media would use "session" or "alert". Henning?

> To indicate preconditions such as qos / security in 183 as defined in
> manyfolks draft, disposition-type is set to "session". 

Actually, no. The idea was that the preconditions draft would have to define
its own value here. Putting "preconditions" into the bis draft made no sense
if preconditions weren't even defined there.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:39:07 -0400

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> used for early media would use "session" or "alert". Henning?

The wave attachment (verbatim media, instead of pointer) idea is what I
had in mind, with 'session' for anything describing a session. The fact
that the session description is part of 18x indicates that it's early
media, so I don't think a separate indication is needed. If that's
acceptable, I'll try to clarify.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Sudipto Mukherjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:10:39 -0400

Jonathan,

> if preconditions weren't even defined there.

My understanding was the "attribute" line in the SDP such as a=qos:
would
further qualify the Content-Disposition value of "session" and enable
the UA to take the appropriate action. These preconditions are already
defined in manyfolks draft. 

Can these be used together ?

Thanks
- Sudipto