Subject: [SIP] Stateless Proxy

From: "Albee Vimal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 20:50:49 +0530

Hi
   I have simple question on the following scenarios :

 When a stateless proxy receives a request, it does a registrar search for
the RequestURI received. If the registrar search results in multiple entries
being returned without any action specified(or with action = proxy). Should
proxy drop this request, since it does not support redirection.

Thanks
Vimal

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Neil Deason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 16:38:03 +0100

You would not expect to find a Stateless Proxy operating like
this.
In stateless mode a Proxy is really just a next hop router of SIP
messages, where the next hop is most likely to be a stateful
Proxy, 
possibly co-located with a Registrar, or a Redirect Server.
Proxies 
operating in stateless mode can be thought of as existing in the
core 
of the network and being concerned with issues of performance,
reliability and scalability. Whilst Proxies operating in a
stateful 
mode exist closer to the edge of the network nearer the users
that 
they probably perform additional services for (SIP-CGI, Servlets,
CPL, 
Presence, etc.). 

Cheers,
Neil
-- 
Ubiquity Software Corporation, UK        http://www.ubiquity.net