Subject: RE: [SIP] Attempt at summarizing current SIP drafts (SIP Mobility /Mobile IP)

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALCOO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:44:54 -0400

Hi, Karl:

Mobile IP deals with mobility in the IP (network) layer.

SIP mobility deals with mobility in the application layer per se.

One of the fundamental questions that we have how much of the mobility
related problems to be abstracted to the application layer vs network layer.

Then the next question comes, if mobile IP has problems in proving solution,
should we go to the application layer (e.g., SIP session layer) to seek the
solution, or do we find an alternative solution in the network layer (e.g.,
IP layer)?

Some drafts (e.g., draft-itsumo-sip -mobility-req-01 and others) have just
started addressing those issues. However, more works in this area need to be
done.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy
AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Lewis Karl-QA3387 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 5:38 PM
To: 'Henning Schulzrinne'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [SIP] Attempt at summarizing current SIP drafts

I have just reviewed the Mobility Related drafts and am wondering if anyone
is aware of the current status of draft-itsumo-sip -mobility-req-01. In
particular, several issues were identified such as Mobile IP not being
sufficient for personal mobility and location services, completing
registration in less than a few seconds, reconfiguration in milliseconds,
providing location services, support of inter domain soft-hand and secure
signaling. Have these issues been addressed or actively being worked?

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 9:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [SIP] Attempt at summarizing current SIP drafts

Given the proliferation of SIP-related drafts, I've created a summary of
efforts at http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts.html. This is
known to be incomplete, so I'd appreciate if you could send me any
additions or corrections. (Jonathan Rosenberg provided some of the text;
any mistakes or misrepresentations are mine.)

It is fairly clear that there are a large number of drafts that have not
changed materially for half a year or more. Maybe it's time to have a WG
last call or two or ten...

Henning
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip