Subject: [SIP] SIP gateways and authentication

From: "James A. Donald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 19:43:37 -0700

--
At 12:14 PM 9/1/2000 -0400, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
 > [...]
 >
 > - authenticate resource reservation requests (where resources may
 > include, particularly for wireless, basic IP connectivity)
 >
 > [...] As has been said a few times on this list already: This group
 > is *not* chartered to develop new encryption or authentication
 > algorithms or protocols. Application of existing  algorithms, if
 > described in sufficient detail, are obviously appropriate

Obviously, if SIP is going to be used to "allocate resources", we are going 
to need a SIP encryption protocol to avoid what happened, and is still 
happening, with cell phones.

Thus encryption protocols must be designed, just as they eventually were 
for cell phones.

No one on this list has ever proposed a new encryption *algorithm*, and no 
one with sufficient expertise to propose an new encryption *algorithm* has 
posted on this list.  I believe I know the names of everyone in the world 
with sufficient expertise to propose new encryption algorithms.   It is not 
a very long list, and I am not on it.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      6YeGpsZR+nOTh/cGwvITnSR3TdzclVpR0+pr3YYQdkG
      IgGbVt8kpu4ifrxTQGyUU16bxIOyEJfGKBT5j/36
      4I3x9qP1pEGA8nDV3yh19s15T4F9unUCrqp5iHK/D

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip