Subject: RE: [SIP] Stateless Proxy

From: "Pizzimenti, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 15:46:56 +0000

Vimal,

According to the RFC 

The "action" parameter is used only when registering with the REGISTER
request. It indicates whether the client wishes that the server proxy or
redirect future requests intended for the client. If this parameter is not
specified the action taken depends on server configuration."  

So if the action is not specified in the contact the server should, in my
opinion, be permissive and proxy the request.

In the case where the registrar search results in action values of
"redirect" then the server should redirect the response back to the
originator.  When the intended behavior of the server is to only proxy
requests, then when the server's registrar search results in a "redirect"
action, I would think a 4xx response (e.g. "403 Forbidden") would be sent to
the originating agent.

Also, according to the RFC, "All current registrations MUST share the same
action value.  Registrations that have a different action than current
registrations for the same user MUST be rejected with status of 409
(Conflict)."  

- Joe Pizzimenti
WorldCom

-----Original Message-----
From: Albee Vimal [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 11:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [SIP] Stateless Proxy

Hi
   I have simple question on the following scenarios :

 When a stateless proxy receives a request, it does a registrar search for
the RequestURI received. If the registrar search results in multiple entries
being returned without any action specified(or with action = proxy). Should
proxy drop this request, since it does not support redirection.

Thanks
Vimal

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Gethin Liddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 16:44:54 +0100

Stateless proxies do NOT generate responses of any kind.

As soon as responses are created, it becomes stateful.  Now this all
leads into the argument about how a stateless proxy is only a logical
role that can be applied in certain circumstances (i.e. when everything
is good and great) as soon as errors/redirect/etc... occur then the
proxy needs to find someway to become stateful.

so stateless proxies only proxy.  if you have to re-direct, you have a
statefull server. if you don't want to turn statefull then the only
thing you can do is drop the request.

HTH

:)

-- 
Gethin Liddell
Ubiquity Software Corporation

http://www.ubiquity.net
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: David Daiker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:43:30 -0400 (EDT)

this is silly,
are you saying that a stateless server that fails or can't
decode the request can't respond with a 5xx or 4xx ?
The only alternative is to drop the message and let the
sender retransmit an invalid message 7 or 11 times ?,
why not return the final response, if he gets it,
he'll return an ACK which can be dropped,
it not, he'll retransmit and you return the error again. 

Seems a lot friendlier to the sender, without any downside

what's the problem ?

david