Subject: [SIP] clarification o 302 message content.

From: Sunitha Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:38:08 -0700

In the August 6th, draft ( draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-01.ps),
pg 64 , section 7.3.3 states that UACs may add a branch to the new
request, keeping the Cseq, to, from, call-id the same.
Now, isnt adding the branch a significance of forking?, which apparently
only the proxies perform.

Also, the text does not specify bumbing up the CSeq and maintaining all
other fields the same for a re-INVITE.

However, the example on page 108, the CSeq has been bumped up, with no
branch added. This is inconsistant..

Can someone clarify this please.
thanks

--
Sunitha Kumar
http://www.vovida.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 01:38:09 -0400

-----Original Message-----
>From: Sunitha Kumar [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 2:38 PM
>To: sip bell labs
>Subject: [SIP] clarification o 302 message content.
>
>
>pg 64 , section 7.3.3 states that UACs may add a branch to the new request,
keeping the 
>Cseq, to, from, call-id the same. 
only the proxies 
>perform. 

To the outside world, a proxy and a UA look the same. I see no reason why
the act of recursion should be different for a UA and for a proxy. 

>Also, the text does not specify bumbing up the CSeq and maintaining all
other fields the 
>same for a re-INVITE. 

THis should be mentioned, since the CSeq is bumped in one case, and not in
the other.

>However, the example on page 108, the CSeq has been bumped up, with no
branch added. This 
>is inconsistant.. 

I suppose this is also allowed, but is not described in 7.3.3. To make
things simpler we should restrict the number of different ways to do this. I
suppose it should either be done like a proxy recursing (everything same,
new branch-ID), else a totally new call (new Call-ID).

-Jonathan R.
----
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com 

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip