Subject: [SIP] question on receiving multiple invites

From: "Pathangi N Janardhanan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:17:35 +0530

Hi,

  If a UAS receives multiple invites (due to an intermediate forking
proxy),
should it respond with 200 for the second invite. And if it does
respond with
200, should the TAG added in the TO: for this be different than the
one
sent on the first invite?

Thanks
Jana

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "Jo Hornsby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:21:49 +0100

> If a UAS receives multiple invites (due to an intermediate
> forking proxy), should it respond with 200 for the second invite.
> And if it does respond with 200, should the TAG added in the TO:
> for this be different than the one sent on the first invite?

This is known as "request merging".  Have a look at the
following discussion:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/sip/multiple_requests.txt

Note that with the new rules about proxies having to make
branch parameters "globally unique", things are probably a
little easier.  Thus I prefer the UAS-errors-secondary-requests
approach (and don't use different tags), since you should be
able to match ACKs up to their respective INVITEs pretty easily
(if an ACK including the topmost-Via doesn't match any other
transaction, it must have been for the 200).

HTH,

 - Jo.