Subject: Re: [SIP] REFER for Remote Device Control

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 16:15:16 -0800

At 08:47 AM 11/29/00 , Billy Biggs wrote:
>  The sip-peer-3pcc draft discusses providing PHONECTL functionality
>using REFER.
>
>  To send a BYE on a specific call leg, the draft uses a Refer-To URI
>of: <sip:[email-masked];method=BYE?i=[email-masked]>
>
>  To indicate a request to REGISTER as a specific user, the draft
>uses: <sip:[email-masked];method=REGISTER>
>
>  I strongly believe that this sort of behavior is outside the scope of
>REFER.  The meaning of the request is hidden in an obfuscated URI, which
>cannot provide enough information to identify which call-leg is being
>referenced. [1]

Why?  The meaning doesn't seem hidden to me, the method is clearly labeled.
REFER is just a way for A to refer/tell B to request something from C.

Can you provide an example of a real situation where the Request-URI, To,
From, and Call-ID aren't sufficient to identify the call?

>  I am rewriting the PHONECTL draft, splitting the commands into new
>methods.  For example, LOGIN (ask the UA to REGISTER) and HANGUP (ask
>the UA to leave a session).  This keeps the intent clear, and helps the
>UA maintain a seperate authentication model for these device control
>extensions.

why can't you just look in the URL?  web browsers will have to do this
anyway.  why delay the inevitable?

the separate method thing seems cumbersome and a bit ITUish.

thanks,
-rohan

>  I hope to have a draft ready this week, but would be willing to set up
>a mailing list or something if there was interest in this work.
>
>
>[1] The original INVITE may have resulted in two calls being setup, and
>    no mechanism of determining the tags used is available.  As well,
>    you cannot specify which tags to use in a URI.
>
>-- 
>Billy Biggs, 3Com               Email: [email-masked]
>http://www.div8.net/billy/      Phone: [email-masked]
>
>_______________________________________________
>SIP mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip