Subject: [SIP] THE NEW MEETING RULES: Or, Agenda Issues for SIP WG at IETF 49 and Presentations

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:47:57 -0600

I have sent under separate cover (and posted to
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/meets/IETF49/agenda.html) the agenda for our
upcoming meeting.

Brian, Joerg and I have taken some fairly radical measures to control
"presentation proliferation".

The first slot (2 hr) is devoted to discussion of major protocol issues and
working group business.

The second slot (2.5 hr) is devoted to discussion of drafts. There simply
isn't enough time to present every draft in depth, so I broke the material
into two categories.

The first category (priority 1 and 2) includes all material which I believe
to be directly supporting chartered work or work we have agreed to support
in other meetings. I'll ask the leaders of these discussions to limit
themselves to ten minutes per draft (except for those who told me they coudl
be quicker). I believe most of the "status updates" can be significantly
shorter than ten minutes, and I hope we can use some of this time to address
the discussions that invariably arise on a few of the drafts.

The second category (priority 3) includes all the really cool stuff that we
need to think about but that is either new or hasn't been approved as a WG
effort. I'll ask the leaders of these discussions to use an entirely new
procedure:

1) Limit to a max of three slides each. Introduce the problem being
addressed, the approach used (or any changes since the last presentation of
this work), and make a recommendation for future work (publish as info,
adopt as WG effort, send to Maui on vacation, etc.)

2) Send all slides to me by 5:00 PM on Monday, December 10. I will assemble
them into one massive presentation so that we do not lose time switching
PCs.

3) All discussion leaders will address the room from floor mikes if
possible. This will relieve congestion from around the podium and speed up
transitions.

4) Questions from the floor will be strictly limited. I will be ruthless. I
might even raise my voice if needed ;-).

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip