Subject: [SIP] Proxy Routing Logic

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:26:49 -0600

If a proxy at proxy.com receives a request with a Request-URI of:

             sip:[email-masked];maddr=proxy.com

  Should the proxy:

  1. Return a 404.
  2. Proxy the message to [email-masked], ditching the maddr
     parameter.

  Now say there is a populated Route header.  Should the proxy:

  1. Replace the Request-URI with the first Route and proxy.
  2. Return a 404.
  3. Proxy the message to [email-masked], ditching the maddr
     parameter (and not popping the Route). 

  I think it should do 1 for each case.  Thoughts?

-- 
Billy Biggs, 3Com               Email: [email-masked]
http://www.div8.net/billy/      Phone: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:24:50 -0600

>   2. Proxy the message to [email-masked], ditching the maddr

I suppose that if the proxy is reasonably sure that DNS resolution of 
proxy.com will not resolve to another proxy in that domain, it should do (1).

>      parameter (and not popping the Route).

Isn't (1) the normal behavior?  If a proxy gets a new request with Route
headers, it pops the top one off and uses it as the R-URI of the next hop 
downstream server.  Or am I missing something in your question?

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software and eServices Group 
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations 263 Shuman Blvd., Rm 1A-413
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713 0184

---

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:24:28 -0500

> proxy.com will not resolve to another proxy in that domain, it should do (1).

As before, it's up to the proxy. If there's some weird reason that a
proxy publishes these addresses, it might handle this. An outbound
proxy, for example, would be represented by something like that. If the
proxy has no intent of proxying random requests, it has the right to
send back

404 Huh?

> downstream server.  Or am I missing something in your question?

I suspect this is about having "weird" URIs in the Route, such as the
one above. Again, an outbound proxy could actually see something like
that (more reasonable than above). In that case, (1) is the right
behavior.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs