Subject: [SIP] Parser for Sip messages

From: "Vijeth D" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Dec 2000 05:45:09 -0000

Hi,
A parser generating tool normally generates a very huge parser for even simple syntaxes. So is it better to write a hand decoder i.e., a manual decoder for the SIP messages? How safe is it to write a manual decoder say in C using the string library?

_____________________________________________________
Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff Bol at
http://bol.rediff.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 10:24:00 -0800

A hand-crafted parser for the basic SIP (and RTSP and HTTP) structures
takes a few hundred lines, with a few more for the specific fields,
depending on needs. Not difficult, but does require extensive testing of
the corner cases (spacing, line folding). The torture tests are helpful
here.