Subject: [SIP] List thread summary 8/12-8/19

From: "Culpepper, Bert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:13:10 -0600

8/14/00 Thread: Call Flow I-D Final Review -- Alan announces
draft-ietf-sip-call-flows-01.txt is ready for final review, asks for
volunteers.  No other response found on the list.

8/14/00 Thread: Encoding scheme for SIP concealed hosts -- Nilesh Trivedi
asks about an algorithm for encoding an encrypted host that fits the 'token'
syntax.  Also asks about a proxy's parser handling of the encrypted host
when  it doesn't support the specific character set used.  Nilesh later
states that   base64 encoding may not fit token syntax due to its use of '/'
and '=', again  asks for comments.  No response or further posts.

8/15/00 Thread: SIP Servlet Delivery and SIP Root Servlet drafts vailable --
Michael O'Doherty announces the availability of two drafts dealing with SIP
Servlet Delivery and SIP Root Servlet.  Asks for comments.  No response or
further posts.

8/15/00 Thread: Question on 'version' parameter in draft-ietf-sip-isup-mime
 -03.txt -- Kevin Summers suggest adding a list/table of ISUP version
numbers.  He states version numbers are mandatory and suggests implementers
should not decide these values without some recommendations.  Asks for
comments.  Jon Peterson replies that IANA registration will be used for ISUP
version and associated with a published standard.  He states that due to the
potentially large number of version numbers, that no table be added to the
MIME draft itself.  Appears closed.

8/15/00 Thread: Question on unknown methods -- Deepak_Pant asks whether
unknown method support is only required for active calls or also for callIDs
of non-existent calls as well.  Jonathan replies a server can reject any
request with 405 whether known or unknown.  He also states that an
implementation should support new methods inside and outside of a call if it
makes sense.  Appears closed.

8/15/00 Thread: Multiple To/From lines and Bcc -- Simon Barber asks whether
multiple To/From line are allowed.  Also asks about an equivalent for Bcc:.
Jonathan replies that the BNF is explicit in that From and To specify single
name-addr or addr-spec.  Brian Bidulock points out that the BNF for
general-header indicates From can occur multiple times.  Laurent Steffan
writes that the draft later states multiple headers are not allowed unless
the field-value is defined as a comma separated list.  Not the case for
From/To.  Brian indicates his satisfaction.

8/16/00 Thread: Telephone-subscriber registration -- Robert
Fairlie-Cuninghame asks about the existence of a standard method to register
a range of telephone-subscribers.  Suggests using a wildcard character in a
tel URL.  Hisham Khartabil recommends looking at draft-rs-trip-gw-00.txt.
rafi later asks what a response would look like not all subscribers are
successfully registered.  Jonathan replies that wildcards are not valid and
suggests not worrying about error conditions for non-existent features.
Robert thanks Hisham.  Closed.

8/16/00 Thread: Registrations not sharing the same Action -- Neil Deason
asks  if there a real need for the restriction that all active registrations
MUST  share the same Action.  Jonathon replies that this was considered and
the  conclusion was that specialized call processing logic is better handled
through CPL or something similar.  Appears closed.

8/16/00 Thread: Operating a SIP Client behind a Firewall -- Harleen Gill
asks  about the existence of a recommendation for keeping a timed connection
alive  between a client behind a firewall and a server outside of the
firewall.   PAscal Dor recommends reading
draft-ietf-sip-session-timer-02.txt.  Jiri  Kuthan later asks the meaning of
the questions and describes two packet flow  cases: Signaling and Media.  He
points to  draft-rosenberg-sip-firewalls-00.txt.

8/16/00 Thread: Media & Signaling inter-dependencies, issue with 183 ? --
Robert Jean-Hughes asks in the presence of early media how a caller can tell
a callee to send media according to a new SDP.  Also, how a callee sending
remote ringback be put on hold.  He suggests a re-INVITE prior to INVITE
transaction completing, also use of 183 both ways.  Jonathan responds that
the issue is a good one, he mentions three possibilities and suggests
revisiting this.  Robert Fairlie-Cuninghame seems to indicate clarification
is  needed.  Arnoud van Wijk agrees that the issue should be looked at and
also  recommends living with the fact that sessions can't be modified until
the  session setup completes.  More and more discussion...  Conclusion: punt
and  live with 183 and SDP in provisional responses.

8/16/00 Thread: RE: [IPTEL] URL to support Number Portability was:
draft-yu-tel-url-00.txt] -- James Yu asks SIP list for opinions on
draft-yu-tel-url-00.txt.  No responses or further posts.

8/16/00 Thread: Bakeoff #5 Advanced Scenarios: Media Changes summary for one
group -- Brett Tate summarizes results of SIP bakeoff #5 advanced media
switching.  No further posts. Closed.

8/17/00 Thread: a query on SOCKS -- rahul pande asks about availability of
open source for SOCKS v5.  Jiri Kuthan make reference to
http://www.socks.nec.com/ but expresses doubt in it being of help.  Closed.

8/17/00 Thread: SDP: `s' & `t' lines -- [email-masked] states that in many
examples in section 8.1 and later of draft-ietf-sip-call-flows-00.txt do not
include 's' & 't' lines.  Mentions that SDP RFC requires the lines and asks
if the draft is in error.  Jonathan replies that the call flows draft should
be fixed.  Closed.

8/17/00 Thread: whitespace in SIP & SDP -- [email-masked] asks about the use
of whitespace in SIP & SDP grammars.  He points out a conflict between an
example and the BNF in rfc 2327 (SDP).  He points our a similar
contradiction in the SIP rfc and the torture tests.  He asks if a parser
should be lenient or strict.  Arjun Roychowdhury replies that SIP is lenient
with LWS.  Laurent Steffan agrees on leniency.  Discussion moves to white
space in wrapped lines and quoted strings.  Discussion later moves to
escaping CR and LF, perl, ...

8/17/00 Thread: Instant Messaging.... -- rahul pande asks whether MESSAGE
method (reviewer's correction, was "header")is needed since "m=text <port>
tcp plain" with other a= attributes is proposed for tcp. Arjun responds and
questions whether m= line solves instant messaging and goes on to argue that
MESSAGE is appropriate for instant messaging, refers to impp drafts.
Jonathan replies that the above might apply to text over RTP and references
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/sipimpp_sip2k.ppt.  Appears
closed.

8/17/00 Thread: another general query (SIP+) -- Christopher Downey asks
about    pointer to information on SIP+.  Neal Deason provides a little
history and  makes reference to http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip and
draft-vemuri-sip-t-context-00.txt. Closed.

8/17/00 Thread: ipv4 addresses in SDP -- [email-masked] asks about the
correctness of decimal-uchar = ("1" 2*(DIGIT)) in RFC 2327 (SDP).  He/she
interprets it to mean '1' followed by at least three digits.  James Undery
indicates that his/her interpretation is wrong.  Arjun writes that it
indicates '1' followed by at least 2 more digits and this intention may be
wrong.  Jonathan recommends that complete production be examined (not just
one of 5 rules), which results in a correct address.  manu asserts the third
production allows invalid addresses.  Jonathan agrees and recommend changing
the rule to ("1" 2DIGIT) in the draft version (SDP?).  Topic belongs in
[email-masked].  Appears closed.

8/17/00: Thread: UAS & UAC with different port numbers? -- Damian Farias
asks  about using the same port (5060) for both a UAC and UAS.  Jonathan
points out  that UACs can use whatever port they like for responses,
something different  from 5060 can be supplied by a UAC for responses in the
outgoing request.   Closed.

8/17/00 Thread: Legal loop detection-Hash calculation -- Deepak_Pant asks
why  From and To are needed in a hash calculation.  Jonathan responds that
To,  Form, CallID, and CSeq results in the branch-ID of the request being a
complete transaction identifier.  Also states that the hash calculation is
an  implementation decision.  Closed.

8/18/00 Thread: A query on SIP call flow -- rahul pande asks how a callee
replies (to reject) to a request for a unicast session where a media session
is specified as recvonly by the caller.  Hisham Khartabil recommends 403 or
415 response.  rahul asks how to reject one media stream not the call
itself.   The response is for the caller to indicate its capabilities in its
response.   Response is submitted describing the use of port 0 in media
descriptions.   rahul indicates port 0 can be used in sendonly media
descriptions.  Jonathan  writes that text in appendix B.2 can lead to
confusion and recommends a  change that use or port 0 mean one thing only -
refusal of the media stream.  Appears closed.

8/18/00 Thread: Simplify SIP -- Bertil Engelholm proposes several ways to
simplify SIP.  Reviewer punts here. My apologies, this topic generated a
SIGNIFICANT amount of opinions.  Conclusion: SIP stays as specified.

8/18/00 Thread: HTTP and SIP URLs -- Vishwa Kumbalimutt asks about the
correct syntax for HTTP URLs in a SIP URL parameter.  Reviewer found no
responses or further posts.

-Bert

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip