Subject: RE: [SIP] 6xx and 3xx responses from registrar

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:06:53 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Deepak Mohan [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, December 29, 2000 4:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [SIP] 6xx and 3xx responses from registrar
> 
> 
> For which request, and under what circumstances will a 
> registrar give a 3xx or 6xx response?

Well, since we are talking about a registrar, the only request of interest
is REGISTER. When to use these things is implementation dependent. THey have
well defined results, and one would use them if you wish to have that
result.

As an example, a registrar might redirect a multicast request to a unicast
address, or perhaps might redirect a request to a backup in case of overload
conditions.

A 6xx might be used if the user is not allowed to register anywhere in the
domain.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:51:31 -0800

> address, or perhaps might redirect a request to a backup in case of overload
Also, there could be front-end registrar that does load distribution or
distribution by name (e.g., user names with A-L go to one registrar box,
M-Z to another).