Subject: [SIP] Configuration management for SIP phones

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:50:52 -0800

Following up on my talk at the SIP bake-off: I'd like to propose an
informal discussion list on how to configure SIP UAs. Currently, there
seem to be a large number of different mechanisms, such as tftp, http
and proprietary protocols (I don't think DHCP is used), each with a
different file format. This makes it rather difficult to deploy
multi-vendor SIP-based enterprise phone systems, throwing us back to the
bad old days of proprietary PBXs, being forced to buy all phones from a
single vendor.

The goal of this effort would be to arrive at a small set (hopefully of
cardinality one) of mechanisms for configuring light-weight end systems.
(This does not mean that a system could not also support other
mechanisms.) If there's sufficient interest and convergence, some form
of IETF standards-track or informational document may arise.

Since the SIP list is plenty busy and since this is likely of interest
only to a small group of people, I created a new mailing list,
[email-masked]. Please subscribe if you're interested in this
topic and wish to contribute.

Thanks.

Henning

_______________________________________________
SIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:00:10 -0800

Followup: Subscription information is at
http://www.egroups.com/group/sip-config