Subject: [Sip] What is the mapping of ANI II digits to rpi-np?

From: Bryan Byerly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:58:02 -0400

Hi guys,

I had initially sent out a question on this issue and received no
responses; so I'm trying again... :^)

I'm trying to understand the appropriate translation of ANI II digits to
their SIP equivalent.  However, when
I try to match the currently defined ANI II digits from
http://www.nanpa.com/number_resource_info/ani_ii_assignments.html
against the keywords defined in
Appendix A of draft-ietf-sip-privacy-02.txt, it appears to be a sparse,
non-invertible mapping.

So, I have a few questions:
1) Is there a more recent version of this syntax?
2) Could someone define a less sparse, invertible mapping as a best
current practice?
3) Should we instead just define a new tag such as, ";ani-ii=number" ?
4) Other ideas?

Here's the sparse, non-invertible mapping that I came up with:

ordinary                  00
residential
business
priority
hotel                     06
failure                   02
hospital
prison                    29
police
test
payphone                  70
coin                      27
payphone-public
payphone-private
coinless
restrict
coin-restrict
coinless-restrict
reserved                  80-89
operator                  34, 07?
trans-freephone
isdn-res
isdn-bus
unknown
emergency

I was specifically unable to identify a mapping for the following ANI II
digits:
01, 20, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 52, 60, 61, 62, 63, 66, 67, 80-89, 93

Here's the lists of digits as defined by www.nanpa.com:

         ANI II DIGITS: ASSIGNMENTS AS OF FEBRUARY 2, 1999

    DIGIT PAIR
                 DESCRIPTION
    00         Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) -
                 non-coin service requiring no special
                 treatment
    01         Multiparty line (more than 2) - ANI cannot be
                 provided on 4 or 8 party lines. The presence of
                 this "01" code will cause an Operator Number
                 Identification (ONI) function to be performed at
                 the distant location. The ONI feature routes the
                 call to a CAMA operator or to an Operator
                 Services System (OSS) for determination of the
                 calling number.
    02         ANI Failure - the originating switching system
                 indicates (by the "02" code), to the receiving
                 office that the calling station has not been
                 identified. If the receiving switching system
                 routes the call to a CAMA or Operator
                 Services System, the calling number may be
                 verbally obtained and manually recorded. If
                 manual operator identification is not available,
                 the receiving switching system (e.g., an
                 interLATA carrier without operator capabilities)
                 may reject the call.
    03-05  Unassigned
    06         Station Level Rating - The "06" digit pair is
                 used when the customer has subscribed to a
                 class of service in order to be provided with
                 real time billing information. For example,
                 hotel/motels, served by PBXs, receive detailed
                 billing information, including the calling party?s
                 room number. When the originating switching
                 system does not receive the detailed billing
                 information, e.g., room number, this "06" code
                 allows the call to be routed to an operator or
                 operator services system to obtain complete
                 billing information. The rating and/or billing
                 information is then provided to the service
                 subscriber. This code is used only when the
                 directory number (DN) is not accompanied by
                 an automatic room/account identification.
    07          Special Operator Handling Required - calls
                 generated from stations that require further
                 operator or Operator Services System
                 screening are accompanied by the "07" code.
                 The code is used to route the call to an
                 operator or Operator Services System for
                 further screening and to determine if the station
                 has a denied-originating class of service or
                 special routing/billing procedures. If the call is
                 unauthorized, the calling party will be routed to
                 a standard intercept message.
    08-09   Unassigned
    10         Not assignable - conflict with 10X test code
    11         Unassigned
    12-19   Not assignable - conflict with international
                 outpulsing code
    20         Automatic Identified Outward Dialing (AIOD) -
                 without AIOD, the billing number for a PBX is
                 the same as the PBX Directory Number (DN).
                 With the AIOD feature, the originating line
                 number within the PBX is provided for charging
                 purposes. If the AIOD number is available
                 when ANI is transmitted, code "00" is sent. If
                 not, the PBX DN is sent with ANI code "20". In
                 either case, the AIOD number is included in
                 the AMA record.
    21-22   Unassigned
    23          Coin or Non-Coin - on calls using database
                 access, e.g., 800, ANI II 23 is used to indicate
                 that the coin/non-coin status of the originating
                 line cannot be positively distinguished for ANI
                 purposes by the SSP. The ANI II pair 23 is
                 substituted for the II pairs which would
                 otherwise indicate that the non-coin status is
                 known, i.e., 00, or when there is ANI failure.

                 ANI II 23 may be substituted for a valid 2-digit
                 ANI pair on 0-800 calls. In all other cases, ANI
                 II 23 should not be substituted for a valid
                 2-digit ANI II pair which is forward to an SSP
                 from an EAEO.

                 Some of the situations in which the ANI II 23
                 may be sent:

                       Calls from non-conforming end offices
                       (CAMA or LAMA types) with combined
                       coin/non-coin trunk groups.
                       0-800 Calls
                       Type 1 Cellular Calls
                       Calls from PBX Trunks
                       Calls from Centrex Tie Lines
    24         Code 24 identifies a toll free service call that
                 has been translated to a Plain Old Telephone
                 Service (POTS) routable number via the toll
                 free database that originated for any non-pay
                 station. If the received toll free number is not
                 converted to a POTS number, the database
                 returns the received ANI code along with the
                 received toll free number. Thus, Code 24
                 indicates that this is a toll free service call
                 since that fact can no longer be recognized
                 simply by examining the called address.
    25         Code 25 identifies a toll free service call that
                 has been translated to a Plain Old Telephone
                 Service (POTS) routable number via the toll
                 free database that originated from any pay
                 station, including inmate telephone service.
                 Specifically, ANI II digits 27, 29, and 70 will be
                 replaced with Code 25 under the above stated
                 condition.
    26         Unassigned
    27         Code 27 identifies a line connected to a pay
                 station which uses network provided coin
                 control signaling. II 27 is used to identify this
                 type of pay station line irrespective of whether
                 the pay station is provided by a LEC or a
                 non-LEC. II 27 is transmitted from the
                 originating end office on all calls made from
                 these lines.
    28         Unassigned
    29         Prison/Inmate Service - the ANI II digit pair 29
                 is used to designate lines within a
                 confinement/detention facility that are intended
                 for inmate/detainee use and require outward
                 call screening and restriction (e.g., 0+ collect
                 only service). A confinement/detention facility
                 may be defined as including, but not limited to,
                 Federal, State and/or Local prisons, juvenile
                 facilities, immigration and naturalization
                 confinement/detention facilities, etc., which are
                 under the administration of Federal, State, City,
                 County, or other Governmental agencies.
                 Prison/Inmate Service lines will be identified by
                 the customer requesting such call screening
                 and restriction. In those cases where private
                 paystations are located in
                 confinement/detention facilities, and the same
                 call restrictions applicable to Prison/Inmate
                 Service required, the ANI II digit for
                 Prison/Inmate Service will apply if the line is
                 identified for Prison/Inmate Service by the
                 customer.
    30-32   Intercept - where the capability is provide to
                 route intercept calls (either directly or after an
                 announcement recycle) to an access tandem
                 with an associated Telco Operator Services
                 System, the following ANI codes should be
                 used:

                       30 Intercept (blank) - for calls to
                       unassigned directory number (DN)
                       31 Intercept (trouble) - for calls to
                       directory numbers (DN) that have been
                       manually placed in trouble-busy state
                       by Telco personnel
                       32 Intercept (regular) - for calls to
                       recently changed or disconnected
                       numbers
    33        Unassigned
    34         Telco Operator Handled Call - after the Telco
                 Operator Services System has handled a call
                 for an IC, it may change the standard ANI digits
                 to "34", before outpulsing the sequence to the
                 IC, when the Telco performs all call handling
                 functions, e.g., billing. The code tells the IC that
                 the BOC has performed billing on the call and
                 the IC only has to complete the call.
    35-39   Unassigned
    40-49  Unrestricted Use - locally determined by
                 carrier
    50-51   Unassigned
    52         Outward Wide Area Telecommunications
                 Service (OUTWATS) - this service allows
                 customers to make calls to a certain zone(s) or
                 band(s) on a direct dialed basis for a flat
                 monthly charge or for a charge based on
                 accumulated usage. OUTWATS lines can dial
                 station-to-station calls directly to points within
                 the selected band(s) or zone(s). The LEC
                 performs a screening function to determine the
                 correct charging and routing for OUTWATS
                 calls based on the customer?s class of service
                 and the service area of the call party. When
                 these calls are routed to the interexchange
                 carrier via a combined WATS-POTS trunk
                 group, it is necessary to identify the WATS
                 calls with the ANI code "52".
    53-59   Unassigned
    60         TRS - ANI II digit pair 60 indicates that the
                 associated call is a TRS call delivered to a
                 transport carrier from a TRS Provider and that
                 the call originated from an unrestricted line (i.e.,
                 a line for which there are no billing restrictions).
                 Accordingly, if no request for alternate billing is
                 made, the call will be billed to the calling line.
    61         Cellular/Wireless PCS (Type 1) - The "61" digit
                 pair is to be forwarded to the interexchange
                 carrier by the local exchange carrier for traffic
                 originating from a cellular/wireless PCS carrier
                 over type 1 trunks. (Note: ANI information
                 accompanying digit pair "61" identifies only the
                 originating cellular/wireless PCS system, not
                 the mobile directory placing the call.
    62         Cellular/Wireless PCS (Type 2) - The "62" digit
                 pair is to be forwarded to the interexchange
                 carrier by the cellular/wireless PCS carrier
                 when routing traffic over type 2 trunks through
                 the local exchange carrier access tandem for
                 delivery to the interexchange carrier. (Note:
                 ANI information accompanying digit pair "62"
                 identifies the mobile directory number placing
                 the call but does not necessarily identify the
                 true call point of origin.)
    63         Cellular/Wireless PCS (Roaming) - The "63"
                 digit pair is to be forwarded to the
                 interexchange carrier by the cellular/wireless
                 PCS subscriber "roaming" in another
                 cellular/wireless PCS network, over type 2
                 trunks through the local exchange carrier
                 access tandem for delivery to the
                 interexchange carrier. (Note: Use of "63"
                 signifies that the "called number" is used only
                 for network routing and should not be disclosed
                 to the cellular/wireless PCS subscriber. Also,
                 ANI information accompanying digit pair "63"
                 identifies the mobile directory number
                 forwarding the call but does not necessarily
                 identify the true forwarded-call point of origin.)
    64-65  Unassigned
    66         TRS - ANI II digit pair 66 indicates that the
                 associated call is a TRS call delivered to a
                 transport carrier from a TRS Provider, and that
                 the call originates from a hotel/motel. The
                 transport carrier can use this indication, along
                 with other information (e.g., whether the call
                 was dialed 1+ or 0+) to determine the
                 appropriate billing arrangement (i.e., bill to room
                 or alternate bill).
    67         TRS - ANI II digit pair 67 indicates that the
                 associated call is a TRS call delivered to a
                 transport carrier from a TRS Provider and that
                 the call originated from a restricted line.
                 Accordingly, sent paid calls should not be
                 allowed and additional screening, if available,
                 should be performed to determine the specific
                 restrictions and type of alternate billing
                 permitted.
    68-69  Unassigned
    70         Code 70 identifies a line connected to a pay
                 station (including both coin and coinless
                 stations) which does not use network provided
                 coin control signaling. II 70 is used to identify
                 this type pay station line irrespective of
                 whether the pay station is provided by a LEC
                 or a non-LEC. II 70 is transmitted from the
                 originating end office on all calls made from
                 these lines.
    71-79  Unassigned
    80-89   Reserved for Future Expansion "to" 3-digit
                 Code
    90-92  Unassigned
    93         Access for private virtual network types of
                 service: the ANI code "93" indicates, to the IC,
                 that the originating call is a private virtual
                 network type of service call.
    94         Unassigned
    95         Unassigned - conflict with Test Codes 958 and
                 959
    96-99  Unassigned

thanks for your help,
Bryan

Bryan J. Byerly
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Bryan Byerly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:04:06 -0400

5) Further, is there only a subset of ANI II digit translations which
make sense for SIP messages?
6) If so, what is that subset?
7) What is the appropriate ANI II digit mapping for that subset?

thanks again for your help,
Bryan

---

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 17:14:17 -0500

Bryan,

It is not mean to be an invertible 1 to 1 mapping - if that is what is
needed, then you must use SIP-T.  The rationale behind the mapping was to
cover the most common and most likely to be used in IP service logic in PSTN
to SIP calling.

However, I thought they matched up better than you have listed.  I'll take a
look and maybe we can add/modify a few.

I doubt we need a BCP - if it is not almost obvious what the mapping is,
then we have not defined it correctly.

Thanks,
Alan Johnston
WorldCom