Subject: [Sip] More on manyfolks

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:58:46 +0300

Hi,

A couple of small comments/questions on the manyfolks draft:

Chapter 12.1.

The text says that the 180 Rining provisional response is also sent
using the reliability mechanism, ie PRACK. 

First, I would like to have it as a MUST/SHOULD/MAY/whatever - just to
clarify.

Second, it if is a MUST I would like to know why. I DO understand why
the 183 needs PRACK in this scenario, but why the 180?

Chapter 13.

First, since it has been decided that forking WILL be a part of the
spec, I think that the idea of having a chapter like this in the draft
is very good (more on that in another thread).

Anyway, since we now do support the sending of BYE for a specific call
leg, using the tag, before the call is established, I think it could be
added to this chapter. Ie would not be mandatory to do multiple resource
reservation.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: William Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:33:59 -0400 (EDT)

Chapter 11 contains all the SIP usage rules, and contains all
the MUST/SHOULD/MAY/whatevers.  There is nothing in there about
using reliable provisional response for the 180 Ringing.
You are right there is no reason why it needs to.

Chapter 12 is a set of examples; the example does use 100rel
for the 180.  So I think the current wording in section 12,
that "the 180-Ringing provisional response ... is also sent
using the reliability mechanism..." matches the figure and
intentionally contains no spec language.

On the forking section (13), I agree that there are other
alternatives to blindly doing multiple reservations when
multiple destinations respond with 18x responses.  I'll
expand that section to include the possibility of sequentially
handling the reservations, and also the possibility of sending
a BYE (with tags) to avoid the multiple reservations.

Bill Marshall
[email-masked]

-----original message-----
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:58:46 +0300
From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] More on manyfolks

Hi,

Chapter 12.1.

Chapter 13.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip