Subject: RE: [Sip] a question

From: Kevin McCandless <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:00:57 -0700

I would agree with Rob's comments and would suggestion that you view ENUM as
one possible type of loaction server for SIP.
 
Kevin
-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Freilich [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 9:11 AM
To: 'Xiaodong LEE'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] a question

Xiaodong,
 
There is no direct relationship between the two.  They are very different
and separate protocols.  SIP handles call control and related functions
where as ENUM provides a domain name lookup based on an E.164 telephone
number.  It is very much likely that SIP and SIP Servers and UAs can be
enhanced by the inclusion of an ENUM Resolver.  In this case this enables
SIP to use E.164 numbers where that phone number is passed off to the ENUM
resolver, which then uses the ENUM protocol to look up resource records
(NAPTR specifically – RFC 2915) that list various URLs associated with the
E.164 phone number.  Since any valid URL can be provisioned into the ENUM
registration, a SIP URL “sip:user@host” can be returned.  So in effect
this enables an E.164 Phone number to SIP URL translation function.
 
Fundamentally, ENUM is an infrastructure function that SIP can utilize to
provide services and number translation is about the most obvious.
 
Hope this helps…
 
Rob    

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of xiaodong
lee
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 7:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] a question
 
hi everyone:
    I am newcomer. I have a question.
    I wanna know if there is some relationship between SIP and ENUM, is it
possible the SIP server in the future will use ENUM resolve service?
    thanks!