Subject: [Sip] Inconsistency In Header Descriptions

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:16:49 -0400

I've noted some inconsistencies in the treatment of the User-Agent and
Server headers.  

First off, User-Agent is shown as a general header in Tables 5 and 6 of
2543bis but should, according to its description, appear only in requests.  

Secondly, there is a security warning regarding the Server header in RFC
2616.  In SIP this warning would be equally applicable to the User-Agent
header.  We may find it necessary to reproduce that warning in 2543bis.

Finally, given that the User-Agent header is present in Table 6, it seems
odd that the Server header is not there too.

Tom Taylor
[email-masked]
Ph. +1 613 736 0961 (ESN 396 1490)

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 02:30:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom-PT Taylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 1:17 PM
To: sip
Subject: [Sip] Inconsistency In Header Descriptions

Server headers.  
>First off, User-Agent is shown as a general header in Tables 5 and 6 of
2543bis but should, 
>according to its description, appear only in requests.  

Good catch. Table 5/6 are in general need of a consistency check with the
text.

>Secondly, there is a security warning regarding the Server header in RFC
2616.  In SIP this 
>warning would be equally applicable to the User-Agent header.  We may find
it necessary to 
>reproduce that warning in 2543bis.

Another good point.

>Finally, given that the User-Agent header is present in Table 6, it seems
odd that the 
>Server header is not there too. 
  
I am sure many others are missing from there too. If the section is ditched
from bis (and so far no one objected, with one expression of support) it
doesn't matter.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip