Subject: [Sip] Proposal: fork VIA parameter

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:26:54 +0300

Hi,

When I read the thread about the tagged BYE requests, for early call
legs, it was mentioned that a UAS doesn't know if a request has been
forked or not. However, the UAS, and/or intermediate proxy servers, may
need that information for different kind of reasons, eg related to early
media.

So, I came up with an idea: what about adding a via-fork parameter.
Every proxy in the path could then indicate if it has forked the request
or not, and the other proxies, and the UAS, can then do decissions
depending on that information.

The syntax could be something like:

via-fork = "fork" = fork
fork = "no" | "sfork" | "pfork"

(sfork = sequential fork)
(pfork = parallel fork)

Of course, for the good old backward compability reasons, it could not
be a MUST to use the parameter, but maybe a SHOULD...?

Comments? Anyone thinks this could be useful?

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip