Subject: [Sip] Proposed closure of open issue #71: RTT estimation w/ Timestamp

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 12:04:21 -0700

Hi,

I am proposing closure of open issue #71 on RTT estimation using the 
Timestamp header.
The open issue is that the spec doesn't describe how to estimate RTT in the 
face of retransmits.

I propose changing the following text to make this a local implementation 
issue:

From:
"The timestamp is used by the client to compute the RTT to the server so it 
can adjust the timeout value for retransmission"

To:
"The timestamp MAY be used ...

this clarifies that this is purely optional behavior and local 
implementation heuristics.

comments or objections?

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip