Subject: [Sip] privacy draft and calling vs called

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:01:20 -0500

The privacy draft uses
    party = calling | called
as the rpi-pty-type in the Remote-Party-ID header.  The descriptions in
5.1 (assumed type if parameter is absent), 6.1 and 6.3 indentify
"calling" with the sender of the request and "called" with the sender of
a response.  This seems obvious for an initial INVITE.  But I want to
confirm the intention for a reINVITE which does NOT come from the party
that initiated the call.  Should "calling" still be indentified with
"requesting" even though the party is not the original calling party for
the call?  That is, should calling and called be reversed (as To and
From are) from the original for the established call-leg or should they
maintain their PSTN-like meaning with calling always referring to the
party that initiated the call-leg?

In either case, it would be helpful to be more explicit about usage for
subsequent requests since "calling" and "called" are not SIP terms and
might be confused with their PSTN usage.

--

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla