Subject: RE: [Sip] Very ROUGH thinking on DNS/SRV usage

From: Orit Levin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:30:11 -0500

Jonathan,

The SRV records can be (and have been) used to retrieve and determine
supported transports (using the "Proto" field).
What is the motivation for adding the NAPTR based domain-to-transport (pre-)
lookup?
It adds additional lookup time and doesn't seem to correctly interpret NAPTR
syntax and semantics.
Was it based on some specific requirements or/and experts' inputs?

Orit.

BTW: When I wrote an analogous specification for H.323 (i.e. Annex O), I
have come to the same conclusion that having "port" in URL (INCLUDING the
well-known values) implies having address records at the DOMAIN of the URL.

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Monday, December 24, 2001 3:29 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	[Sip] Very ROUGH thinking on DNS/SRV usage

Folks,

I've cobbled together an update to the SRV usages document. It will live 
as a separate specification, outside of bis. The update is based on 
various comments from IESG and DNS experts. It is still in a state of 
flux, so please don't go off and implement it. Comments are welcome, of 
course.

Until it appears in the archives, you can pick up a copy at:
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-srv-03.txt

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip