Subject: [Sip] Open Issue #351: non-SIP URL as AOR

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 01:01:46 -0500

Issue:

Do we allow for non-SIP URLs as the address-of-record in a REGISTER? 
That is, can a REGISTER have a non-SIP URL in the To field? The spec is 
silent on this, although I think it generally assumes that its OK.

I would argue that SIP can only really define proper address bindings 
for URLs in its own space (i.e., SIP URLs). For example, I do not think 
it is appropriate for a phone to register that tel:+19739525000 belongs 
to it. The ownership of this e.164 number is administered outside the 
scope of SIP systems, and is more the domain of enum to worry about. A 
proxy would not have access to the proper authorization for such a 
binding; in enum, these will likely be done statically based on all 
sorts of complex multi-tiered administration.

So, my proposal is that REGISTER be restricted to SIP URls in the To 
field (Contact can, of course, be anything).

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:41:39 -0500

There were no comments on this issue, so the proposed resolution stands.

-Jonathan R.

Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip