Subject: Re: [Sip] solving early media, HERFP, and unifying manyfolks

From: William Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:14:42 -0500 (EST)

Jonathan wrote:
> Sanjoy Sen wrote:
> > 
> > 3) We support Rohan's proposal of using the new method UPDATE instead 
> > of reusing the COMET, as the semantics are significantly different 
> > than COMET.
> 
> Seems to be a general consensus; I'd still like to hear from 
> Bill on this topic in particular.
> 

I support the idea of manyfolks using a general UPDATE method,
instead of a specific COMET method.  Are there backward compatability
concerns with such a change?

Bill Marshall
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 01:20:53 -0500

William Marshall wrote:
> instead of a specific COMET method. 

Great! It seems like there is rough consensus on this point.

> Are there backward compatability

I was hoping you could answer that question....

I would like to hear from folks who have implemented it. I suspect there
are implementations but probably no deployments, but I could be wrong. I
really don't care about backwards compatibility with implementations,
but I don't want to break any existing deployments if we can avoid it.
IETF is not even required to do that, since the IETF process warns
implementors that drafts can change. Of course, the timetable of drafts
in this group makes it more of a concern than normal.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com