Subject: Re: [Sip] bis-05 mostly NITS - full review

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 12:21:33 -0500

Christer Holmberg wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> 
>>>69. Line 3299, what about TLS transport (port 5061)?
>>>
>>Yeah, this is a big mess with that. One of the reasons I sent a query asking
>>about whether people put 5060 into the URL even though its the default, was
>>to try and change this behavior to have sip:user@host:5060 NOT equal
>>sip:user@host, since the former would use SRV and the latter wouldn't.
>>Unfortunately, it seems at least a few people are putting 5060 in the
>>URLs....
>>
> 
> We should also remember tat the host may be an IP address, and the
> client does not use SRV. So, if there is no port, and it does NOT mean
> that 5060 shall be used as default, which port does the client use?

This is discussed in the new draft-ietf-sip-srv-03. It uses the default 
port for the transport. If there is no transport, its the default 
transport (UDP).

> 
> And, to say that 5060 is default if the host is an IP address, but not
> if the host is a domain name, may sound a little messy?

Based on the rules in draft-ietf-sip-srv, if the host is a domain name 
vs. an ip address for the same transport, the default port is the same, 
unless the domain resolves with SRV and it specifies an alternate.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:38:07 -0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jonathan Rosenberg" <[email-masked]>
To: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
> port for the transport. If there is no transport, its the default 

UDP uses Ports....

Do you use a 2002 prefix ?
http://www.dot-biz.com/INFO/Papers/

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB
http://www.IPv8.info