Subject: [Sip] Open Issue #325: Interop with tagless BYE

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 00:52:25 -0500

Bis-05 is clear that if you get a BYE outside of a dialog, you reject 
it. This
is self-consistent with BYE handling in bis-05.

However, there may be backwards compatibility issues. It is possible 
that there
exist UAs that still send BYE on hangup before the final response to 
invite is
received, and likely that these are sent without To tags. This means 
that the
UAS will get a BYE outside of a dialog. If it ignores this BYE, the call 
will
not be hungup.

Do we need to worry about this?

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:43:51 +0200

Hi,

This is (a little) related to the issue #140. I KNOW the case is closed,
but a while ago I asked if nodes really MUST care about the To- and From
header URLs for call matching, or if the tags are enough?

Ok, that won't solve this issue, but it would bring up the following
question: if one doesn't have to care about the To- and From header
URLs, for BYE it could be said that one doesn't have to care about the
tags either - if they are not included (if there are tags, they must be
treated, since the client wants to terminate only a specific leg).

Also, it's not only about if the UAS accepts the BYE or not. Are
intermediate proxies able to fork it correct? Will they assume that it
shall be forked like the INVITE, like a CANCEL?

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 08:30:08 +0200

Hi,

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland