Subject: [Sip] 1-of-N codecs + inband DTMF

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:39:43 +0200

Hi,

This is not directly related to the unify draft, but to the "1-of-N
codecs" mechanism in general.

Assume that we want to also use inband DTMF, according to RFC 2833. So,
since the DTMF from a SDP point of view now is a separate codec, in this
case the final codec selection would be 2-of-N codecs, because I don't
think anyone wants to send a re-INVITE everytime an inband DTMF is to be
sent...

Do you think this special case should be mentioned somewhere in the
text?

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:14:56 +0200

Hi Christer,

I believe that for complex scenarios you will be better off using FID.
Simpler scenarios can be handled in the "unify" draff using vanilla SDP.

Regards,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:44:08 +0200

Hi,

>Simpler scenarios can be handled in the "unify" draff using vanilla SDP.

I agree with you. However, I think there are currently MUCH more
implementations doing inband DTMF than FID, so I just wanted to bring up
this specific case, to make sure everyone is aware of it...

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland