Subject: [Sip] bis-draft: minor issues in Table 2 and 3

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:13:45 -0000

Issue 1:

I note that o in the main part of these tables means according to the
following text appearing before the table:

		"Optional" means thata UA MAY include the header field in a
request or response, and a UA MAY ignore the header field if present in the
request or response (The exception to this rule is the Require header field
discussed in 22.30). A "mandatory" header field MUST be present in a
request, and MUST be understood by the UAS receiving the request.  A
mandatory response header field MUST be present in the response, and the
header field MUST be understood by the UAC processing the response. "Not
applicable" means for header fields that the header field MUST NOT be
present in a request. If one is placed in a request by mistake, it MUST be
ignored by the UAS receiving the request. Similarly, a header field labeled
"not applicable" for a response means that the UAS MUST NOT place the header
in the response, and the UAC MUST ignore the header in the response.

Optional to send and optional to receive.

The text makes one exception in the Require header. There are other headers
where the bis draft specifies that an action is mandatory on receipt of a
particular header.

Examples:

8.2.4 specifies: If there are any bodies whose type (indicated by the
Content-Type), language (indicated by the Content-Language) or encoding
(indicated by the Content-Encoding) are not understood, and that body part
is not optional (as indicated by the Content-Disposition) header, the UAS
MUST reject the request with a 415 (Unsupported Media Type) response. 

8.2.5 specifies: A UAS that wishes to apply some extension when generating
the response MUST only do so if support for that extension is indicated in
the Supported header in the request. 

and also:    Any extensions applied to a non-421 response MUST be listed in
a Require header included in the response. Of course, the server MUST NOT
apply extensions not listed in the Supported header in the request. 

I am sure that other examples can be found.

Issue 2:

The Warning header is listed as a response header, but it is stated as "o"
for ACK. It should be "-"

Issue 3:

As indicated in a previous mail, all "g" should be removed from the where
column in these tables, as the correct indication of applicability to both a
request and a response is a blank entry. This applies to the Require and To
headers.
Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249
Email: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip