Subject: [SIP] Use of Branch parameter within Via headers

From: "Robert Osborne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:06:39 -0800

Hi,
 
Within RFC 2543 section 6.40.5, is the following paragraph:
 
   The "branch" parameter is included by every forking proxy.  The token
   MUST be unique for each distinct request generated when a proxy
   forks. CANCEL requests MUST have the same branch value as the
   corresponding forked request. When a response arrives at the proxy it
   can use the branch value to figure out which branch the response
   corresponds to. A proxy which generates a single request (non-
   forking) MAY also insert the "branch" parameter. The identifier has
   to be unique only within a set of isomorphic requests.
 
From this text, all forking proxies should include the "branch"
parameter. 
However I was wondering, even though it is a "MAY" for non forking
proxies 
to insert this parameter, is there any that do?
 
Rob O

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:46:32 -0500

> to insert this parameter, is there any that do?

Yes.

Also, note that in bis, we will be mandating the use of branch 
parameters by every client (proxies, UA) as a transaction identifier. 
Mechanisms are in place for backwards compatibility, since UA do not 
insert them, but there is substantial benefit for having them.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip