Subject: [Sip] Re: [Sipping] Introducing the "new bis" - draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-05

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 13:11:15 -0500

Not sure I responded to this.

Vijay Gurbani wrote:

> First, here's what I think is missing from the R-R "magic", along with a
> suggestion to make it complete.
> 
>    (1) Section 16.6, "Response processing", step 7, first paragraph: the 
>        bis mentions that "... the proxy MAY choose to rewrite this value
>        before forwarding the response." but (as far as I can make out) 
>        provides no guidance on how to rewrite this value.  Note that 
>        Section 16.5 provides guidance on how to use Contact (or From) + a 
>        transaction identifier in a R-R header when it is being *inserted* 
>        in a request.  
> 
>        At the very least, section 16.6, "Response processing", step 7, 
>        first paragraph can provide some information on how to rewrite
>        the value in an R-R response as follows:
> 
>        "If the selected response contained a Record-Route header field
>         originally inserted by this proxy, AND the proxy had modified
>         the request-URI when inserting the Record-Route, it MUST 
>         substitue this value with the Request-URI of the initial request, 
>         maintaining the maddr field and port field, before forwarding 
>         the response."

I do not advocate a MUST; there is much benefit in allowing a proxy to 
be flexible with the URL it can put in the RR header. I would be 
agreeable to including some guidelines in bullet 7 of 16.6 to mirror the 
guidelines present for requests.

-Jonathan R.

>    (2) Provide an example, much as -04 bis did.  I think that R-R rules
>        for re-writing R-URIs are complex enough that an example will go
>        a long way to ensure clarity, which will aid in interoperability.

Not a bad idea.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip