Subject: [Sip] Change in List Policy

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:51:14 -0500

We have received permission to change the policy of sip and sipping to
membership post allowed, others require moderator (that's me) approval.
This should substantially reduce the spam we have been experiencing,
and I get more work to do -- oh joy.

I endeavor to approve legit postings held for moderator approval
within minutes to hours, but it could take somewhat longer in extenuating
circumstances.  

There have been a LOT of stupid things happening lately.  I forcibly
unsubscribe about 2 people A DAY.  
1. Companies are turning on spam filters more aggressive than MailMan's
causing me to get mail.  I hope this change will eliminate most of those.
If your system does this a lot, I delete you.

2. People are turning out-of-the-office replies on without setting their
subscription to no-mail.  

3. We have gotten several cases of a subscriber coming in from some free
email service like yahoo with forwarding to some other account.  The
forwarded account gets some problem and sends me email, but I don't have a
subscriber by that name.
I'm stuck getting email on every sip message until it gets rectified, or I 
use a utility that probes every email address looking for the offender.  I
DON'T
APPRECIATE THIS ONE, so if you forward DON'T GO OVERQUOTA.

4. For whatever reason, the number of SMTP routing errors is on the
increase.
Before you say it won't happen to you, let me tell you that it has happened
to plenty of places who know more about SMPT than you and I put together.
There is not much you can do about this.

Your list administrator
Brian

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip