Subject: RE: [Sip] rsvp or manyfolks in 3gpp

From: "Chen, Xin (Xin)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:59:27 -0000

Good question.

There are two types of PDP contexts for a 3GPP IMS terminal,

One is used for SIP signalling only which is free of charge, and another one
is used for media traffic.

Each PDP context has to associate with a set of QoS parameters.

In order to activate the media traffic PDP context, the users has to know
the QoS prameters needed for this session (media type, codec,
bandwidth.....), these information is from the SDP exchange between
terminals which is carried in SIP signalling message in the signalling PDP
context. This is why you have to have signalling first, then real time
traffic PDP context comes into play.

Xin Chen

Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 883137
Mobile: +44 7799 034668

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 18 March 2002 21:42
To: Chen, Xin (Xin)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] rsvp or manyfolks in 3gpp

Chen, Xin (Xin) writes:

 > [xc] Miguel was right that we need manyfolks because it provides the
 > precondition so that calling user can prevent the called user from
ringing
 > until the calling user completes the PDP context activation. But this
 > doesn't mean that 3GPP terminals have to support any QoS reservation
 > protocol.

that makes sense, but i still don't understand why anything beyond basic
sip is needed for this purpose.  why can't it be a standard behavior of
a 3gpp terminal always first try to setup a real time pdp context for
the media and send the invite or generate ringing only if the setup
succeeds?

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:05:06 -0800 (PST)

Um, folks, before you eject the baby with the
bathwater, somebody better do some explaining how
it is that a SIP appliance connected through a
mobile router convinces that mobile router to put
my RTP bits on the A-list.

We're supposedly here for a slightly longer term
thinking than the range of the 3GPP moment.

	  Mike