Subject: [Sip] CSeq and Via branch in bis-09

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:00:36 +0200

Section 8.1.3.4 line 1216 in pdf says that 

"once the new request has been constructed, it is sent using a new client transaction, and therefore
MUST have a new branch ID in the top Via field as discussed in Section 8.1.1.7."

but says nothing about the CSeq. Should it be incremented by one?

Section 8.1.3.5 line 1240 says

"This new request SHOULD have the same value of the Call-ID, To, and From of the previous request,
but the CSeq should contain a new sequence number that is one higher than the previous."

But says nothing about the Via branch. Should it be a new branch id?

Thanks,
Hisham

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 12:58:56 -0500

> but says nothing about the CSeq. Should it be incremented by one?

It can be; I think its mildly better if its not, so that it can be
detected as a merged request if a second copy arrives at a UAS.

> But says nothing about the Via branch. Should it be a new branch id?

Yes, definitely! The branch ID is unique for each distinct request sent
by a client (excepting CANCEL and ACK-non-2xx). That is very important.
Branch ID computation is discussed in another section.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com