Subject: Re: [Sip] Re: Offer by the callee

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:55:00 +0100

Hi Gonzalo,

Thank you for this interesting debate, so I think we can close the thread.
My conclusion is that the "all port numbers to zero in 183 response" is
maybe not a beautiful solution, but it is a *legal* one (it is not against
any draft); anyhow, there is no other possibility for the call flow
presented in this thread.
Do note that I'm not asking to re-open the debate on the counter-offer
story (even if personally I don't love a lot the final result); indeed I
used strictly the offer-answer model in the call flow.

I have only a last question: generally speaking, a party cannot send a new
offer, while there is still a "pending offer", that is:
- the party received an offer, and he has not sent an answer yet
- the party sent an offer, and he has not received an answer yet

The resource reservation process associated to a given offer starts when
the offer is accepted, that is, when the answer to the offer has been
sent/received.
Therefore, a new offer can be generated by any of the parties, even if the
resource reservation process for a previously answered offer has not
finished yet.
In other words, a new offer can be sent as soon as the previous offer has
been answered (following the rules of the Offer/answer draft), but it is
not required that the current-status reach the desired-status.
Do you agree on that ?

Best regards
Juan Carlos

Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]> on 21/03/2002
23:47:49

To:   Juan-Carlos ROJAS/FR/ALCATEL@ALCATEL
cc:   Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: [Sip] Re: Offer by the callee

Hi,

As you point out, a possible counter offer has been ruled out from the
spec, together with all the advantages and disadvantages that this
implies.

About the 155, it is not intended to break the offer/answer model.

Regards,

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:06:06 +0200

Hello,

> not required that the current-status reach the desired-status.

Yes, your understanding is correct. As a matter of fact, you will
typically send offers containing a confirmation while the other party is
still performing resource reservation.

Regards,

Gonzalo