Subject: [Sip] Requirements on Reason information. New I-D

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:01:27 +0200

Chairmen,

I presented the Reason header field draft today in the SIP WG meeting:
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schulzrinne-sip-reason-01.txt

Some folks considered that the requirements for this work were not clear
enough, so I was asked by the chairmen to write a set of requirements.
We agreed that there was no need to wait for the next IETF meeting in
order to progress such a requirements draft. Discussions in the mailing
list were encouraged.

I have put together an I-D with those requirements.

http://standards.ericsson.net/gonzalo/draft-camarillo-sipping-reason-00.txt

I would like to know if these requirements are what you expected or if,
on the other hand, you wanted something else...

I intend to submit this draft, including the comments I may receive, on
Monday.

Thanks,

Gonzalo
-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:24:57 -0600

Thanks for putting this together. I'm not sure MUST/SHOULD are
appropriate for requirements drafts, but this is presumably not meant
for RFC publication, so it probably doesn't matter.

---

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:36:55 -0500

This is why we have SIPPING: the REASON header would be a sensible way of
solving the issues raised by Gonzalo in his draft.  In addition, it would,
with some modifications, also solve the issues raised in
draft-watson-sipping-req-history-00.txt.

I would propose that the requirements raised in
draft-camarillo-sipping-reason-00.txt get folded into a revision of
draft-watson-sipping-req-history.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think
draft-schulzrinne-sip-reason-01.txt, as it stands today, addresses the
history part of the SIPPING requirements.  The draft is silent on this
point, but it looks like the SIP entity generating the message with the
Reason header inserts it only for *its* operation.  That is, it explains why
that particular entity failed.  Said differently, it looks to me that there
will be only one Reason header in a SIP message.

If we can carry and identify the source of the Reason headers, like we do
for Via or SMTP does for Received-By, then this header can satisfy both
camarillo-sipping-reason's and watson-sipping-req-history's requirements.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Gonzalo
Camarillo
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 3:01 AM
To: sip; Brian Rosenberg (EUS); Dean Willis; Joerg Ott; [email-masked]
Cc: Henning Schulzrinne; [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] Requirements on Reason information. New I-D

Chairmen,

Thanks,

Gonzalo

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:29:42 -0600

> Chairmen,
[...]
> I intend to submit this draft, including the comments I may receive, on

One more service that can be added in Section 5 of your I-D is SPIRITS-based 
services.  A UA getting an INVITE may benefit from having a Reason header to 
make a determination if the invitation resulted from the PSTN domain.

Likewise the header may help UACs that get a final response from a SIP/IN 
entity.

Regards,
 
- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani    vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software and eServices Group 
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713 0184

---

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:24:56 -0800 (PST)

This is a very slippery slope. Although it is
just as problematic, I would prefer the use of
the Server: header for this task. The less the
PSTN pollutes the SIP protocol, the better.

/sean

> Vijay K. Gurbani   
> vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
> Sip mailing list 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip

=====
Sean Olson <[email-masked]>

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Sports - live college hoops coverage
http://sports.yahoo.com/

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 05:51:22 +0200

Hi Eric,

> camarillo-sipping-reason's and watson-sipping-req-history's requirements.

In the SIP WG meeting Dave Oran explicitly asked to leave out of this
work any identification stuff, and there was rough (actually total)
consensus about it. Therefore, I do not think it is appropriate to try
to pull it in at this point of time.

Regards,

Gonzalo