Subject: [Sip] rsvp or manyfolks in 3gpp

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:28:35 +0200

xin,

from your message i get an impression that rsvp is not mandatory in 3gpp
terminals:

> I am familiar with the 3GPP SIP architecture, our terminals don't use
> RSVP, ...

last fall i wrote on the sip mailing list:

> i met yesterday a person who works for a big mobile phone/network vendor
> and when i asked about manyfolks, he said that the 3gpp indeed has
> adopted it, but that it is not a mandatory part of the spec and that
> this vendor has no intention to use it in its own products.

to which Miguel Garcia from ericsson replied:

> Good luck to that vendor. I can tell you that manyfolks IS mandatory
> in 3GPP, so if somebody designs a terminal that does not support
> manyfolks, is not going to be 3GPP compliant. I believe the person you
> spoke to is miss-informed.

i'm now a bit buzzled here?  is it so that an e-2-e reservation
according to manyfolks is mandatory in 3gpp terminals, but the
reservation protocol doesn't need to be rsvp?  if so, can each handset
vendor invent their own or what?

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:24:00 +0200

Juha,

Manyfolks is still mandatory in 3GPP, but not the e2e status type. The
segmented status type will be used instead. This means that with QoS in
the access networks but not in the backbone the call can proceed.

Regards,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]