Subject: [Sip] Summarization of Reason header discussion

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:08:46 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Hi Folks,

I haven't heard anything more about the Reason header discussion, so I'm
going to summarize what I think we have consensus on.

1) Gonzalo sent a bunch of requirements.  Nobody fundamentally challenges
that the requirements are wrong or unimportant.  We've also seen a few
proposed additions.  Lots of interesting stuff could reference this work.

2) Dave Oran proposed that we keep a split between the reason a call
arrived, and the request history (which contains names).  The later has
lots of privacy concerns, while the privacy concerns for the former are
minimal.  I didn't see much in the way of objections here.

3) From a syntax perspective, I think we got agreement that the Reason
should always begin with a SIP response code and a textual phrase, but may
also include other responses/code families as extra parameters (for
example, CPIM error messages, Q.850 error codes, etc.).  The motivation is
that a SIP device only needs to know about one set of response codes (SIP)
to do something appropriate with the Reason, but additional information is
available if you care.

So, I'd like to find out if folks agree that my summary is accurate, and
if we can move forward on defining a Reason header in SIP.

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip