Subject: RE: [Sip] Question about Section 12.2 Requests within a Dialog

From: Tan Ya-Ching ICM N PG U ID A 1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:43:46 +0100

| -----Original Message-----
| From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
|
| 
| Ofir Arkin wrote:
| > 
| > What 'state' information does this change?
| > For example if I send a Re-INVITE within a dialog what 'state'
| > information will the Re-INVITE change?
| 
| The re-INVITE changes the remote URI.
| 
| Here is an example. I send an INVITE with a Cotnact header of
| sip:<my-piece-of-state>@<my-FQDN>. The call is established. A BYE,
| re-INVITE, or other mid-dialog request will arrive to me with this URI
| in the request URI. I can use that for whatever purposes I like. If I
| wish to change it, I can issue a re-INVITE, which updates it at the
| other side.
| 

I have a question about the sentence "I can use that (URI learned from
Contact header) for whatever purposes I like". What is the scope of such a
URI ? I always assumed that one can use that only for requests sent within
that dialog. But Section 8.2.2.1 line 1279 of bis-09 states that "Other
potential sources of received Request-URIs include the Contact header fields
of requests and responses sent by the UA that establish or refresh dialogs".
Bearing in mind that in Section 8 we are talking about "(line 962)
method-independant rules for UAC and UAS behavior when processing requests
that are OUTSIDE of a dialog", which means initial INVITE or OPTIONS, surely
the URI from Contact cannot be used in the URI for these requests. This
sentence should be relocated to Section 12.

- Ya-Ching Tan

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 18:31:33 +0200

The URI in the contact needs to have global scope so that, among other
services, call transfer can be implemented.

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 13:05:23 -0500

Tan Ya-Ching ICM N PG U ID A 1 wrote:
> URI ? 

Actually the scope of the URI is global. THis is because certain
services, like attended transfer, will require it.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com