Subject: [Sip] Manyfolks: e2e meaning

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:17:50 +0100

Hello,

In manyfolks-05, it is said that "status type: ...: The end-to-end status
reflects the status of the end-to-end resource reservation"
In fact, end-to-end means that both end-users will exchange end-to-end some
messages using some protocol in order to reserve resources (this could be
added for clarification, as it is never said in the draft).

My question: Does "end-to-end" mean here RSVP ?
If the answer is yes, this is not a very future safe approach for the SDP
extensions, as other protocols could be defined also.
If the answer is no, how can I know which protocol will be used for
end-to-end resource reservation ?

Best regards
Juan Carlos

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Chen, Xin (Xin)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:16:09 -0000

Hi Gonzalo,

All the end to end QoS reservation protocols will have the same problem RSVP
has unless you own the whole network. Since we know there is a petential
problem, why do we introduce this into manyfolks, if we know the information
carried by the protocol can not be always true, why our SIP terminals have
to always trust it? It will be manyfolks' problem.

By the way, previous versions of manyfolks does use RSVP as example, but
there was no such "e2e". 

Also, I think you are the best person to provide the definition, and I think
this is important. Because if this is a rule, then all the player have to
understand the rule in the same way, otherwise it will not work. And the
person who creates this rule will be the person to explain the rule.

I only have one minor text propose:

Section 5.1:

 		 Mandatory: the user agents must provide resource
reservation. Otherwise, session establish-
		ment (must)SHOULD not continue.
Thanks
Xin Chen

Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 883137
Mobile: +44 7799 034668