Subject: [Sip] SIP DNS usage issues (draft-ietf-sip-srv-06)

From: Boris Perlov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:59:22 +0200

Hello, 

I found following issues not clear in the SIP-SRV draft 06. Please advice
what procedure should be applied.

1. In client transaction DNS usage, it is not clear if all records, returned
by a NAPTR query, should be used in case of  consequent procedure failure.
NAPTR query output may include multiple records for the same domain. After
choosing the best (order & preference) NAPTR record and in case of
consequent procedure failure (e.g. sending message failure), should next
NAPTR record be used?

2. In client transaction IP & port resolution procedure - paragraph 4.2, the
draft-ietf-sip-srv-06 specifies that "...If no SRV records were found, the
client performs an A or AAAA record lookup of the domain name.". How domain
name will be determinate in case SRV lookup where applied on SRV host name,
returned by previous NAPTR procedure? Will it be correct to use returned by
NAPTR SRV name for the A/AAAA DNS query?

3. Although it can be guessed but it may be good to specify what port number
should be used in case A/AAAA DNS query, applied as a result of SRV query
failure, succeed. That because SRV query should be applied when port number
was unspecified.

Thanks,
Boris Perlov

RADVISION

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip