Subject: [Sip] Question on CANCEL - backwards-compatibility

From: "Fuxbruner, Amihay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:54:41 +0200

Hi,

Early bis drafts support CANCEL for any request.
How UAS (bis 09) should respond to CANCEL for none-INVITE request from UAC
(early bis) ?

Thanks,

Amihay Fuxbruner
System Engineering - Signaling R&D
Comverse

-----Original Message-----
From: Gonzalo Camarillo [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 4:43 PM
To: Fuxbruner, Amihay
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sip] Question on UPDATE after INVITE completion

Hello,

"Fuxbruner, Amihay" wrote:
> 
> What is the purpose of sending UPDATE after INVITE completion ?
> Is this another way for re-INVITE ?

UPDATE involves only two messages, so it can be useful for saving
bandwidth. re-INVITE is still needed, though, because in some scenarios
you cannot provide an offer in the re-INVITE, and you have to wait for
an offer in the response. UPDATe does not support this
three-way-handshake.

Regards,

Gonzalo

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:58:45 -0500

"Fuxbruner, Amihay" wrote:
> How UAS (bis 09) should respond to CANCEL for none-INVITE request from
> UAC (early bis) ?
> 

Send a 200 OK and do nothing else. This is discussed in the final
paragraph of 9.2 of bis, which reads:

Regardless of the method of the original request, as long as the CANCEL
matched an existing transac- tion, the UAS answers the CANCEL request
itself with a 200 (OK) response. This response is constructed 1501
following the procedures described in Section 8.2.6 noting that the To
tag of the response to the CANCEL 1502
and the To tag in the response to the original request SHOULD be the
same. The response to CANCEL is 1503
passed to the server transaction for transmission. 1504

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip