Subject: RE: [Sip] Path to Working Group Item

From: "Stephen Terrill (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:23:26 +0100

Hi,

I am slightly confused with some of this thread.

3GPP does allow a user to request pure IP connectivity, the location of the point of presence for this is dependant upon the users operator and the established business relationships.  From this perspective, nothing is prevented as with IP connectivity you can do what is possible with IP.  For this approach, the user will pay the IP resources used and the connecivity offered by the operator the user is with.

In addition to that, I don't see any of the service possibilities removed with the 3GPP application of the SIP protocol.  It is possible that the user can initiate calls to local services without been reachable, in the same way that it is possible to be registered and a service provided says that you are not reachable, or the terminal deciedes you are not reachable.  

..//Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 7:11 AM
To: Dean Willis
Cc: Mark Watson; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sip] Path to Working Group Item

Dean Willis writes:

 > Because 3GPP provides value-added services in the home proxy. If you don't
 > traverse the home proxy on mobile-originated calls, you don't get the
 > value-added services.

if i don't want to use any value added services from my home proxy, but
just want to make a cheaper call by just using the generic services of
the network that i'm visiting (like ordering a pizza from a shop next to
my hotel), 3gpp should allow me to do it.  also, 3gpp should allow me to
make that call without registering with my home proxy, because i don't
want myself to be reachable.  

if 3gpp doesn't allow me to do that, 3gpp architecture is something very
different from sip architecture and it doesn't make sense to pollute
ietf sip protocol specifications with 3gpp requirements.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:34:05 +0200

> I am slightly confused with some of this thread.

i have tried to ask about what options the user has, when he/she uses
the 3gpp multimedia subsystem (or whatever the term is) pdp context,
because my understanding has been that the requirements described in the
3gpp internet draft are derived from that context and are not generic 3g
requirements.  and it looks like that in the 3gpp mms context, the user
doesn't have the same options that a sip user has, but MUST register
itself and MUST route all calls via its home network.

-- juha