Subject: [Sip] media coder negociation

From: Guntram Diehl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:57:12 +0100

Hi,

can anybody tell me if there is already any work concerning media coder
negociation within sip in progress?

There seems to be a need for this for several reasons:

- SIP - H.323 interworking
- RSVP: You have to make reservations with RSVP as receiver of the media
stream. How can you make reservations if you don't know which one of the
different sessions you annouce via SDP is used by the other side.
- Most of the available DSP software for coders support symmetric coders
only.

Guntram

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:47:25 -0500

The offer/answer model of SDP allows for an agreeement on the set of
codecs that are used in the session. Please see:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-offer-answer-02.txt

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com