Subject: RE: [Sip] Path to Working Group Item

From: "Mark Watson"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:57:11 -0000

> i haven't proposed anything that would make a 3gpp phone from
> interworking cleanly with sip phones on the internet.  it is up to the
> 3gpp folks if they will allow such interworking to take place 
> smoothly.
> based on the comments on this list, they seem work hard to limit the
> interworking freedom of a 3gpp phone user in order to be able 
> to collect
> from him or her as much money as possible.
>

Minor point, but limiting the destinations to which users can make calls
*reduces* revenue, because users can make fewer calls and the service takeup
will be depressed due to the perceived deficiency.

It is in everyone's interest that interworking between SIP devices in 3GPP
networks and in other networks (eg. the Internet) is as easy as possible
(yours too, Juha, believe it or not).

...Mark

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:14:13 +0200

> will be depressed due to the perceived deficiency.

mark,

by limiting freedom i didn't mean limiting the number of end points that
can be reached, but limiting the way how they can be reached.  when i
make a call from a 3gpp phone, i should be able to choose whether i want
to route the invite to my home proxy or skip my home proxy and just use
the services of the visited network if the visited network can give me a
better deal that way. 

also, i should be able to equally choose to use call routing and
gatewaying services of a third party that is not a mobile network
operator at all and still get the same qos service over the wireless
access link as i get when i use the services of the mobile network
operator.

with this background you should understand why i don't at all like the
idea of breaking the sip protocol architecture and making registration a
prerequisite for making calls and thus giving the mobile network
operators yet another brick for their wall.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip