Subject: [Sip] Offer by the callee

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:29:47 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying to connect the offer/answer, update and manyfolks drafts for the
following scenario:
- Alice sends an INVITE to Bob with "offer-1"
- Bob wants to make an "offer-2" to Alice, before the completion of the
session establishment
- Bob would like to ask Alice to start resource reservation only based on
the acceptation of "offer-2", and not before (in fact Bob knows that it is
useless to start resource reservation based on offer-1, because he knows he
will send immediatly a new offer-2,  but he is obliged to wait for Prack
before)

The Update draft defines the response 155 to allow the answerer (the callee
in our case) to request "Mr. the calling, please *send me* a new offer",
but there is no way for the same callee to announce "Mr. the calling, *I
want to send you* a new offer right now".
So, one possible way to achieve that is that the callee sends an answer to
the original offer but disabling all the media (in order to avoid to start
resource reservation), and next proposing a new offer, as described in the
call flow below (assume for the example that they are using end-to-end
resource reservation, but please don't generate a new debate on this
topic):

   Alice
Bob
                                      INVITE (offer-1)
       ----------------------------------------------------------------->
      183 (answer-to-offer-1, all port numbers to zero)
      <-----------------------------------------------------------------
                                         PRACK
       ----------------------------------------------------------------->
                                      200 PRACK
      <-----------------------------------------------------------------
                 UPDATE (offer-2, status-type=e2e)
      <-----------------------------------------------------------------
                  200 UPDATE (answer-to-offer-2)
       ----------------------------------------------------------------->

   <========== Resource Reservation ==========>

           UPDATE (current-status = desired-status)
       ----------------------------------------------------------------->
                                      200 UPDATE
      <-----------------------------------------------------------------
                                        200 INVITE
      <-----------------------------------------------------------------
                                              ACK
       ----------------------------------------------------------------->

Is this scenario compliant with the drafts Offer/Answer, Update and
Manyfolks ?

Thank you for your answer
Best regards
Juan Carlos

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 06:01:02 +0200

Hi,

Setting the port number to zero means refusal of the stream, so you are
risking that the caller sends a CANCEL, since you have refused all the
media streams. A better solution would be to send a held SDP
(a=inactive).

Regards,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]