Subject: Re: [Sip] Line folding of Sip Headers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:52:55 +0530

HI,

But how will line folding  help for much readability.I think ASN is a
different case.
In the case of text based messages  ,the cost of implementing a parser
which can handle line folding is
obviously  very high compared to is usefulness.Also if somebody wants to
open a message a using  a text editor,
most  text editors  today will fold it and show it.

regards
mahesh

[email-masked] on 03/11/2002 06:53:22 PM

To:   Mahesh Govind/HSSBLR, [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked], [email-masked]

Subject:  Re: [Sip] Line folding of Sip Headers

From:  Tom Gray@MITEL on 03/11/2002 08:23 AM

It has always been my impression that human readability is seen as a major
advantage of text-based messaging. ASN.1 is criticised since it requires
special
analysers to interpret messages and that this both adds expense and delays
development.

[email-masked] on 03/11/2002 03:46:39 AM

To:   [email-masked], [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Tom Gray/Kan/Mitel)

Subject:  [Sip] Line folding of Sip Headers

Hi,

I will be thankful if you can clarify my doubt regarding  allowing line
folding in SipHeaders.

In real world senarios ,whether any body is sending a linefolded Sip
message , because
most  part of  a sip message will be generated  not by hand .
If our policy is to  to keep it simple .... , why are we allowing line
folding and making  implementations more
complex.Why cant we have a complete signaling without line folding.
If I am wrong please correct me.
regards

mahesh@Hughes Software systems

This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited (HSS) and is
intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  It
may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended.  If
you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  HSS accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email
including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Pramod Vishnu Patil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:48:36 +0530

Hi,
    I strongly agree with Mahesh. Line folding is not
a useful future. I feel line folding actually will harm the
readability of the message if the viewer is using text
wrap feature. I think it should be left to the viewer
how long lines should be shown in the editor.

-Pramod.

[email-masked] wrote:

> Sip-implementors mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/sip-implementors