Subject: [Sip] missing text in draft-ietf-sip-refer-03.txt

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:46:43 -0400

Hi Robert,

Sorry for not reporting this earlier, but I only got a chance to look at the
draft today.

It appears that a significant chunk of text has been removed from the refer
draft that probably needs to be restored:

In section 2, immediately after "REFER is a SIP method as defined by RFC3261
[1]. The REFER method indicates that the recipient (identified by the
Request-URI) should" it used to say:

   contact a third party using the contact information provided in the
   method.  A success response indicates that the recipient was able to
   contact the third party.

   Unless stated otherwise, the protocol for emitting and responding to
   a REFER request are identical to those for a BYE request in [1].  The
   behavior of SIP entities not implementing the REFER (or any other
   unknown) method is explicitly defined in [1].

   A REFER request MAY be placed outside the scope of a dialog created
   with an INVITE.  REFER MAY be Record-Routed, hence MUST contain a
   single Contact header.  REFERs occurring inside an existing dialog
   MUST follow the Route/Record-Route logic of that dialog.  REFERs
   occurring outside an existing dialog effectively create a new dialog
   following the behavior of SUBSCRIBE specified [2].

3.1 The Refer-To Header

   Refer-To is a request-header as defined by [1].  It may only appear
   in a REFER request.  It provides a URL to reference.

The current text makes no sense to me:

   REFER is a SIP method as defined by RFC3261 [1].  The REFER method
   indicates that the recipient (identified by the Request-URI) should
   be interpreted as if it appeared in Table 3 of RFC 3261.

cheers,
(-:bob

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
130 New Boston Street
Woburn, MA 01801
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip