Subject: RE: [Sip] Last Call: DHCPv6 Options for SIP Servers to Proposed Standard

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:30:40 -0700

> I don't know which of the DHCP IPv4 options will find its way into v6,
> but the POP server option, the NNTP server option and NIS+ options
seem
> to be at least as juicy a target.

It is unclear whether we need DHCPv6 at all. We definitely don't need it
for address allocation, or to find the local gateway, but a "DHCP
INFORM" procedure may be a useful way to convey some network parameters,
such as the address of the local DNS server. OTOH, I don't believe that
existing mail clients use DHCP to find out the address of their mail
server; just because a DHCP option is defined does not means that it
gets used...

> I'm all for a stronger applicability statement, but this would seem to
> apply to DHCPv6 in general. Basically, it would have to say "DHCPv6 is
> not currently suited for roaming users that don't have a
pre-established
> secret with the visited domain".

Yes, that would certainly be a reasonable first step. But I still
believe that we have to give up the whole idea of discovering SIP
proxies on the fly. To me, this looks like a ludicrous attempt to
recreate the phone architecture on top of IP.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:45:24 -0500

> Yes, that would certainly be a reasonable first step. But I 
> still believe that we have to give up the whole idea of 
> discovering SIP proxies on the fly. To me, this looks like a 
> ludicrous attempt to recreate the phone architecture on top of IP.

I suppose we could use multicast or v6-anycast with a standardized
service address, but that would seem to have the same security issues as
DHCP. . .

If you have a better approach for discovering the SIP proxy controlling
the firewall that you didn't know that you were behind (and I'd argue
that Universal-Plug-and-Pray may not qualify), I'm, as Ross Perot said,
"all ears" . . .

In the meantime, I have to manually reconfigure MS-Messenger every time
I go from my house to my office or back. It gets tedious.

--
Dean