Subject: [Sip] Last Call: DHCPv6 Options for SIP Servers to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:20:57 -0400

The IESG has received a request from the Session Initiation Protocol 
Working Group to consider DHCPv6 Options for SIP Servers 
<draft-ietf-sip-dhcpv6-00.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the 
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by June 5, 2002.

Files can be obtained via 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-dhcpv6-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 19:33:40 -0700

> > Could it be that this "sip proxy controlling the firewall" is
> > part of the problem rather than part of the solution? It is
> > certainly not part of the IP architecture...
> 
> Yes, I'm sure that dealing with reality is out-of-scope for our
> architecture. That's why we've been so successful at curtailing the
> spread of NAT and firewall boxes and assuring interoperability when
they
> do spontaneously appear.

OK, so here is a reality check: the specific proposal is for a DHCPv6
option -- that is, DHCP for IPv6. Either IPv6 is actually deployed, in
which case we don't need the NAT, or IPv6 is not deployed, in which case
we don't need the option. As for firewall traversal, I have a very hard
time believing that an enterprise firewall that you randomly discovered
through DHCP will let you send UDP packet through -- that will require
at a minimum some solid exchange of credentials.

> Your argument, while principaled, is consistent with the declaration
> that since cars are approximately two horses wide (see "The Standard
> that Wouldn't Die") we should be able to feed them grain, steer them
> with reins and control their velocity with a buggy whip.

Uh, is this useful?

-- Christian Huitema