Subject: RE: [SIP] NOTIFY request MUST contain an Expires header?

From: Tan Ya-Ching ICM N PG U ID A 1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:23:51 +0200

Thanks for the answer. 

In that case, shouldn't the "expires" parameter in the Subscription-State
header in NOTIFY carry the same MUST strength as for Expires header in 200
OK response to SUBSCRIBE, instead of just a SHOULD (second last paragraph of
4.2.2 of draft-sip-events)? Section 4.2.4 'Subscriber NOTIFY Behavior' also
talks about the "expires" parameter with "If the Subscription-State header
also contains an "expires" parameter...", but what if it does not ? Can a
NOTIFY request which matches (according to 4.3.4) the SUBSCRIBE request
create a subscription and a new dialog if its Subscription-State does not
contain an "expires" parameter ?

Regards,
Ya-Ching Tan

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
| 
| There is an expires parameter in the Subscription-State header which
| conveys the expiration of the subscription. The decision was made not to
| use the Expires header for this purpose, since Expires refers to the
| message its carried in, and it is not the NOTIFY which is 
| expiring, but the subscription.
| 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:41:46 -0400

> contain an "expires" parameter ?

Yes, this is a good point. I believe this is probably an error in
sip-events, and that the expires parameter needs to be present with MUST
strength.

Adam?

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com