Subject: [Sip] Last Call: The Refer Method to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:59:30 -0400

The IESG has received a request from the Session Initiation Protocol
Working Group to consider publication of the following Internet-Drafts
as Proposed Standards:

 o The Refer Method
	<draft-ietf-sip-refer-04.txt>
 o The Session Inititation Protocol (SIP)
	<draft-ietf-sip-replaces-02.txt>
 o The Reason Header Field for the Session Initiation Protocol
	<draft-ietf-sip-reason-01.txt>
 o Internet Media Types message/sipfrag
	<draft-sparks-sip-mimetypes-03.txt> 
 o SIP Extension for Registering Non-Adjacent Contacts
	<draft-willis-sip-path-06.txt>

The IESG will also consider publication of Best Current Practices for
Third Party Call Control in the Session Initiation Protocol
<draft-ietf-sipping-3pcc-00.txt> as a BCP.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the 
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by June 3, 2002.

Files can be obtained via http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-refer-04.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-replaces-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-reason-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sparks-sip-mimetypes-03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-willis-sip-path-06.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-3pcc-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 16:28:15 -0400

>         <draft-ietf-sip-refer-04.txt>

could you change the title to something like 
"The SIP Refer Method"?   it's getting harder and harder to 
tell what an RFC is about from looking at the title.

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 19:17:39 -0500

> tell what an RFC is about from looking at the title.

This is a good suggestion. I've been trying to name things very
explicitly, like:

 SIP Extension Header Field for Service Route Discovery in Private
Networks

And:

 SIP Extension for Registering Non-Adjacent Contacts

which probably should have been: 

  SIP Extension Header Field for Registering Non-Adjacent Contacts

Perhaps we should put something on naming extension specs into the
"Guidelines for Authors of SIP Extensions" document?

--
Dean

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 03:16:06 -0400

I'll add some words to the authors guidelines draft about this.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:15:09 -0400

We should probably be consistent. We're seeing a lot of drafts titled 
something like "Private Session Initiation Protocol feature to do foo", 
others "SIP extension to do bar". It would be nice to be able to easily 
grep the RFC list and come up with all SIP-related drafts.

---

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:37:37 -0400

I found a few minor problems with a couple of these documents. I apologize
for the lateness of these comments.

draft-ietf-sip-refer-04.txt:
1) I agree that the title should be changed to "The SIP Refer Method".

2) Section 4
2a) It refers to tables 4 & 5 in the SIP spec (RFC 3261). It should be
tables 2 and 3.

2b) 4th line: change "each mandatory" to "mandatory" (there used to be 2
headers, but now just one <Refer-To>)

2c) last sentence: change "enc and e-e columns" to "proxy column". (The enc
& e-e columns in RFC 2543 were replaced by the proxy column in RFC 3261).

3) Section 10. 3rd paragraph says that method names are not registered with
IANA, but according to section 27.4 of RFC 3261, they now are registered.
This spec needs to register the REFER method.

draft-ietf-sip-replaces-02.txt:
1) The examples on page 4 and page 10 include a Referred-By header. This
header was removed from the REFER spec and therefore has not been defined.
It should be removed from the examples.

cheers,
(-:bob

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
130 New Boston Street
Woburn, MA 01801
[email-masked]

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>
To: <IETF-Announce:>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 12:59 PM
Subject: [Sip] Last Call: The Refer Method to Proposed Standard

> Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-refer-04.txt