Subject: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-willis-sip-path-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 07:21:13 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SIP Extension for Registering Non-Adjacent Contacts
	Author(s)	: D. Willis, B. Hoeneisen
	Filename	: draft-willis-sip-path-07.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 21-May-02
	
The REGISTER function is used in a SIP system primarily to associate
a temporary contact address with an address-of-record.  This contact
is generally in the form of a URI, such as Contact:
<sip:[email-masked]> and is generally dynamic and associated
with the IP address or hostname of the SIP UA.  The problem is that
network topology may have one or more SIP proxies between the UA and
the registrar, such that any request travelling from the user's home
network to the registered UA must traverse these proxies.  The
REGISTER method does not give us a mechanism to discover and record
this sequence of proxies in the registrar for future use.  This
document defines an extension header field, 'Path' which provides
such a mechanism

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-willis-sip-path-07.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-willis-sip-path-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-willis-sip-path-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.