Subject: [SIP] NOTIFY request MUST contain an Expires header?

From: Tan Ya-Ching ICM N PG U ID A 1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:21:14 +0200

Hi,

draft-ietf-sip-events states that 200-class responses to SUBSCRIBE requests
MUST contain an "Expires" header, which defines the duration of the
subscription. In the case of forking, the subscriber will receive only one
200-class response. If the subscriber allows multiple subscriptions and
installs further subscriptions when receiving NOTIFY requests, the durations
of these subscriptions will not be known to the subscriber as the 200-class
responses for these subscriptions would have been dropped at the forking
proxy. I think the Expires header should be made mandatory in NOTIFY.

Please excuse me if this has been brought up before.

Regards,

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:28:34 -0400

> proxy. I think the Expires header should be made mandatory in NOTIFY.

There is an expires parameter in the Subscription-State header which
conveys the expiration of the subscription. The decision was made not to
use the Expires header for this purpose, since Expires refers to the
message its carried in, and it is not the NOTIFY which is expiring, but
the subscription.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com