Subject: [SIP] Provisional response for MESSAGE

From: Tan Ya-Ching ICM N PG U ID A 1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 17:19:21 +0200

Hi,

The last paragraph of draft-ietf-sip-message-04 section 9 states that :

"It has been suggested that provisional responses should not be used
for pager-model MESSAGE requests.  However, this is not possible, as
many proxy servers will not be aware of the MESSAGE method, and will
treat MESSAGE requests using the standard non-invite transaction.
Additionally, prohibiting provisional responses may in some cases
increase the number of retries, and actually make congestion problems
worse.  Therefore MESSAGE requests SHOULD receive the same
provisional response treatment as any other non-INVITE method, as
described in the SIP specification."

But RFC 3261 (8.2.6.1 for UAS, 16.2 for stateful proxy, 16.11 stateless
proxy) states that provisional response SHOULD NOT be issued for a
non-INVITE request. So this is effectively 'prohibiting provisional
responses' and 'may in some cases increase the number of retries'.

Regards,
Ya-Ching

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip