Subject: [Sip] new I-D for registration event package

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 02:14:41 -0400

Folks,

I've just submitted draft-rosenberg-sip-reg-event to the archives. Until
it appears you can pick up a copy at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rosenberg-sip-reg-event-00.txt

This draft is an attempt to generalize the registration event package
defined in:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-beckmann-sip-reg-event-01.txt

I believe there are a lot of valuable applications for a registration
event package, and therefore, having a generalized version seems like a
good thing. There is nothing radically different between the two drafts.
The main difference is that mine defines a specific state machine for
registration events, and defines an XML document format to specifically
convey information about changes to that machine. It doesn't reuse the
presence document format, as the beckmann draft does. My draft does
appear to meet the 3gpp requirements. 

The key decision point for the group is whether to move forward with
draft-rosenberg-sip-reg-event (as a sipwg draft) or
draft-beckmann-sip-reg-event. Unfortunately, the timeline doesn't change
in either case, since something is needed for 3gpp in quite short order.
In some private email conversations, Mark and Georg indicated support
for going with a generalized version, but I will let them speak for
themselves.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:21:06 -0700

Hi,

As a point of process, if this work is adopted as a WG effort,
it  probably belongs in SIPPING or in SIMPLE.

thanks,
-rohan

---- Original message ----
>Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 02:14:41 -0400
>From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>  
>Subject: [Sip] new I-D for registration event package  
>To: [email-masked]
>
>Folks,
>