Subject: [Sip] RE: Dialog-ID and Replaces reconciliation

From: "Henrikson, Eric H (Eric)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 12:55:42 -0500

Miguel, Rohan,

I took a look at the Replaces header and I see some similarities.  However,
I don't think I'm going to have time today to rework the syntax and submit
all my 3GPP contributions.  So I think this will have to wait until later
this week.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Miguel A. Garcia [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 1:01 AM
To: [email-masked]; Rohan Mahy; Henrikson, Eric H (Eric); Drage, Keith
(Keith)
Subject: Dialog-ID and Replaces reconciliation

Eric, Rohan:

The SIP Replaces header and the P-Original-Dialog-ID header seem to 
have some common parts. For instance, both define mechanisms to 
transport the to-tag and the from-tag in the header value.

I was wondering if it would be possible to re-use as much as possible
from the other.

For instance, Replaces defines "to-tag" and "from-tag", whereas
P-Original-Dialog-ID defines "od-to-tag" and "od-from-tag". I think
it would be much better if P-Original-Dialog-ID defines "to-tag" and
"from-tag". The "original-dialog" meaning is implicitely carried 
in the header name and syntax.

This would allow easier definition of the SIP dictionary used in 
compression, because we don't need different entries in the 
dictionary. It would also allow to reuse as much as possible the
software code in an implementation.

On the other hand, Replaces seems to lack a "call-id=" string. 
P-Original-Dialog-ID has it, and it is certainly needed. Is there
a way to synchronize these two??

I hope you can take my comments onboard.

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel-Angel Garcia                     Oy LM Ericsson AB
                                        Jorvas, Finland
mailto:[email-masked]     Phone:  +358 9 299 3553
mailto:[email-masked]        Mobile: +358 40 5140002

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 08:17:52 +0300

Eric, Rohan, Keith:

No rush. I think the important thing is to synchronize both headers.

My suggestion for both is to use the following syntax.

     P-Original-Dialog-ID = "P-Original-Dialog-ID" HCOLON dialog-value 
     dialog-value         = call-id COMMA to-tag COMMA from-tag 
                            [COMMA extension-param]
     call-id              = "call-id" EQUAL callid
     to-tag               = "to-tag" EQUAL token
     from-tag             = "from-tag" EQUAL token
     extension-param      = token [EQUAL (token | quoted-string)]

Example:

P-Original-Dialog-ID: call-id=03fdsslkdjfs, to-tag=23049, from-tag=04983

And for Replaces:
      Replaces         = "Replaces" HCOLON replaces-values
                          *(COMMA replaces-values)

      replaces-values  = call-id *( SEMI replaces-param )
      call-id          = "call-id" EQUAL callid
      replaces-param   = to-tag | from-tag | extension-param
      to-tag           = "to-tag" EQUAL ( token | "*" )
      from-tag         = "from-tag" EQUAL token
      extension-param  = token [ EQUAL ( token | quoted-string ) ]

Example:

Replaces: call-id=03fdsslkdjfs, to-tag=23049, from-tag=04983

Is this acceptable???

/Miguel