Subject: [Sip] multiple namespaces for SIP RPH

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:25:22 -0400

> 3. The definition of the Resource-Priority header should not allow 
> multiple resource values to be carried. I am unaware of any requirement 
> for this. The use described always needs exactly one value within one 
> namespace. Anything beyond this will bring on questions like "Which 
> priority has priority?" 

Mike,

I think I provided some of the motivation for this.

In the US PSTN, a call may be a GETS call AND a WPS call; a GETS call BUT
NOT a WPS call; or a WPS call BUT NOT a GETS call.

The "labels" for a GETS call and a WPS call are different (CPC parameter vs.
Precedence parameter)

Being a GETS call determines treatment in the landline network.  Being a WPS
call determines treatment in the wireless network.

It seems plausible that a similar situation could occur in  IP networks -
especially if one treatment was relevant in one administrative domain, but
another was available in a second administrative domain.

---

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:33:47 -0400

Yes, that is a good analogy to what I was referring to. 

 And I want to make it clear that I am NOT interested in extending the
WPS/GETS "and/or" situation to IP domains- it is a "historical artifact".
Only that similar "artifacts" may arise in IP domains.

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 3:30 PM

I think of this as analogous to having both a 2nd class train ticket and 
a business class airfare - you need to carry both tickets with you as 
you travel, but the train conductor doesn't care about your airline 
ticket and vice versa.