Subject: [Sip] Handling non-2xx response for BYE request

From: "John Loggan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:45:30 +0000

Hi,

What is the correct behavior of a uac that receives a non-2xx resposne for a 
BYE request sent on an exisiting dialog ? should it terminate the call ?
According to rfc 3261 (15.1.1):
"A BYE request is constructed as would any other request within a dialog, as 
described in Section 12.
Once the BYE is constructed, the UAC core creates a new non-INVITE client 
transaction, and passes it the BYE request. The UAC MUST consider the 
session terminated (and therefore stop sending or listening for media) as 
soon as the BYE request is passed to the client transaction. If the response 
for the BYE is a 481 (Call/Transaction Does Not Exist) or a 408 (Request 
Timeout) or no response at all is received for the BYE (that is, a timeout 
is returned by the client transaction), the UAC MUST consider the session 
and the dialog terminated."

From the uas side -
what responses are reasonable for rejecting BYE, besides 401/407 and 481 ?
should it keep the dialog or terminate it after rejecting a BYE ?

if the uas reject the BYE but doesn't terminate the session, and the uac 
consider the session terminated as soon as it sent the BYE, then we might 
reach a-symetric situation where the uas has an active session but the uac 
already terminated the session.

thanks,

John.

_________________________________________________________________
Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip