Subject: [Sip] Update of display name during a call

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:10:49 -0700

There has been some discussion on the issues of changing the display name
associated with a call during the call. This has come up in QSIG cases, it
has come up in B2BUA cases, and in some other PBX and PSTN interoperability
issues. I think it is worth solving.

How about this as a proposal. The UA can send an re-INVITE or UPDATE (as
appropriate) with an AIB. The AIB can be authenticated in the normal way.
The From and To inside the AIB can have a modified display name. The tag
will not be changed. If a 2543 device receives one of these message, it may
end up ignoring it but it will not cause harm. If a device that receives one
of these and understands it, it SHOULD update the display name information.
This can happen both from callee to caller and caller to callee. The AIB
might have a PAI in it too.

Section 12.2.1.1 of 3261 says
 Usage of the URI from the To and From fields in the original
      request within subsequent requests is done for backwards
      compatibility with RFC 2543, which used the URI for dialog
      identification.  In this specification, only the tags are used for
      dialog identification.  It is expected that mandatory reflection
      of the original To and From URI in mid-dialog requests will be
      deprecated in a subsequent revision of this specification.

Clearly this is in line with that.

AIBs are about identity and solve some of the complex issues of third
parties asserting identity on behalf of others. I think this is a good place
to deal with issues that is about the displayed identity.

Thoughts? Issues with this? Better Ideas...

Thanks, Cullen

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:31:40 +0100

Cullen,

In trusted situations where P-Asserted-ID is in use, I think it would be
reasonable to use P-Asserted-ID rather than AIB in the re-INVITE or UPDATE.

John ([email-masked])

-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 28 August 2003 21:11
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Cullen Jennings
Subject: [Sip] Update of display name during a call

Thanks, Cullen