Subject: RE: [Sip] draft-ietf-resource-priority-02 draft

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:27:25 -0400

I am confused by the following paragraph in section 4.4

"   Following standard behavior (Section 8.2.2.3 of [2]), a UAS MUST then
   reject the request with response code 420 (Bad Extension) if it does
   not understand the resource priority mechanism."

What is a "resource priority mechanism"?

Earlier, in the introduction, you say 
"  Existing implementations of RFC 3261 that do not participate in this
   mechanism follow the normal rules of RFC 3261, Section 8.2.2: " If a
   UAS does not understand a header field in a request (that is, the
   header field is not defined in this specification or in any supported
   extension), the server MUST ignore that header field and continue
   processing the message." Thus, the use of this mechanism is wholly
   invisible to existing implementations."
which seems to contradict 4.4.

Does the paragraph in 4.4 really mean
"   Following standard behavior (Section 8.2.2.3 of [2]), a UAS MUST then
   reject the request with response code 420 (Bad Extension) if it does
   not understand the resource priority namespace."?

Or is the distinction, rather , between the case in which the "Require"
header is, and is not, present?  In that case should, perhaps, the text in
the introduction should be changed to read

"  Existing implementations of RFC 3261 that do not participate in this
   mechanism follow the normal rules of RFC 3261, Section 8.2.2: " If a
   UAS does not understand a header field in a request (that is, the
   header field is not defined in this specification or in any supported
   extension), the server MUST ignore that header field and continue
   processing the message." Thus, the use of this mechanism is wholly
   invisible to existing implementations unless the request includes the
Require header field with the Resource-Priority option flag."

Janet

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip